Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my ex girlfriend be entitled to my farm land

• 27-06-2023 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a girlfriend who I am planning on breaking up with as we are not a good match. We have a 2 year old child who I plan on supporting finiacially. I’m wondering though, if my soon to be ex girlfriend would be entitled to take any of my land from me or be entitled to any financial support seem as she is the mother of my child ?

Post edited by greysides on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

You would be better seeking legal advice. A lot of variables. Did you live together?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MayoFeb86

yes I plan on seeking legal advice. We do live together, my house so rent free for her. She’s not on any utility bills or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

Financial support yes

How you provide that is your business, entitled to land directly...no

Assume you are named as the child's father on the birth cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭notAMember

Hard to say, but given the limited details… You are living together where she is in some way financially dependent on you , as you are not charging her rent or utilities. You were financially supporting her up to now. You also have a child, who is 2 years old, so probably living together at least two years… and mention financially supporting the child, which implies you also want to the child to leave. And you were/are in an intimate relationship, as you impregnated her.

Based only on that , she could be entitled to maintenance or residence of that home. You are effectively common-law married in these circumstances. But there are other variables, Maybe she has a career, income or holdings that outstrip yours and the dependency is the other way around.

Seek legal advice before doing anything, and remember your child is an unwitting victim of this, whatever falling out you’ve had with their mother.

• Advertisement

Definitely seek legal advice. You say your house and she lives rent free but a judge would view this very different and could grant her a right to live there. It's all about the best interests of the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

Interests of the child is correct but they are not legally married so he can support the child financially.

Leave the farm out of it for a minute & replace it with a factory job, what would change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thread carefully op. Family law judges are weak cowards who will go in favour of the mother for an easy life. Have all your ducks lined up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭combat14

exactly get very good advice you could be taken to the proverbial cleaners if you dont get excellent professional advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

This is why fellas who are farthing or who have land coming to them need to always thread carefully and think twice before getting involved with anyone.

It's also the reason why Ireland traditionally had so many bachelor farmers.. Fellas not willing to take the risk and lose the land.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭batman75

You appear to be in a common in law marriage which you wish to extract yourself from. I imagine she has lived rent free at your home for at least two years given the child's age. The fact that she is the mother of your child puts extra onus on you I would imagine in terms of providing financial support.

The fact your not married I would have thought should take the farm out of the equation. The house may be a different matter especially if she is a stay at home Mum. It's a shame it's taken this long to realise that your not compatible as a couple though they do say if you want to know me come live with me.

Getting her to leave the house may be tricky if she digs in considering she is the mother of your child. Here's hoping the scenario unfolds in a satisfactory manner for all parties. Best of luck!

Farm aside there is a home involved. A judge won't see a property owned by one party, they will see a child's home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Farm aside and home aside, there’s a child involved. Op you mention you’ll support her financially. Why not go for 50/50 custody. It’s the biggest mistake I made not doing it when my marriage ended. Cost me dearly down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SchizoSound

Not having financial independence, never leaving the familial home and long unsociable working hours were more so the reasons for high number of bachelor farmers in Ireland in times gone by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The person with the farm has an asset the person with a factory job may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

It wasn't the best and brightness who sat looking at the farm either

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

MOD: It has long been Boards policy that seeking professional advice is not allowed.

OP, I would also suggest that it's far from wise to be putting personal information that could identify you in the public arena.

The best advice anyone here can offer has already been given to you ..... the only advice you may be able to trust is advice delivered by a professional.

After this post, the thread is closed.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement