Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serving EO ; salary if I move to another department through Open Competition/Mobility

• 28-06-2023 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi all

I am currently an EO on point 3 of the salary scale. I have been offered an EO position on mobility and also offered another EO position through an open competition (it never rains but it pours!).

I would prefer the open comp position but am confused about salary (I know probation period will apply).

My understanding is that in most cases I will be able to be appointed at point 3 of the salary scale in the new position (I will be checking this is the case).

I was due to move to point 5 of the scale this September based on my start date in the civil service.

If I start a new position in July on point 3, would I have to wait until July 2024 to move to the next point of the salary scale?

Is it the same for both open comp and mobility?

Hope that makes sense? Basically will the "time served" since I moved to point 3 be taken into account? It wasn't entirely clear to me based on circulars regarding the topic.

Thanks

CC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

On mobility your service would remain the same and your increment would happen in July.

I am not sure if you would keep your increment date or have a new one via the open competition - you should definitely check that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

If you move via the open comp, your current department's HR will liaise with your new HR unit and your salary, increment date, pension, holidays remaining, etc. all remain exactly the same.

You may be expected to redo your probation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CivilCybil

That's great, thanks folks. I knew about the probation and don't mind that. But didn't want to lose the guts of a year towards my next increment.

Thanks again for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lauras5839

From my experience, you would go on at your current point, increment date will remain the same however it will be held until your probation is finished at which point you would get back pay. But check with your local HR, I'm not sure if every department works this way

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CivilCybil

Just updating this in case anyone is searching in the future.

I took the new role via open competition and started on the same salary scale (point 3). When I reached the anniversary of my original civil service start date in September I automatically went to point 5 on the salary scale even though I am still on probation in the new role.

• Advertisement
Advertisement