Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sat Advice for newbie

• 28-06-2023 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hello All,

I will be moving home in the coming weeks and will be dropping paid TV service for a FreeSat/Saorview setup. I have a number of questions and maybe someone here can help. The new house has an existing dish (I think an old Sky dish) and has sat cable running from a quad LNB to different locations in the house, which is handy. I connected an old Sat tuner box and an old LED TV and was able to get a signal and some working channels.

I will be buying a new TV soon and whatever hardware is needed to achieve the above, I don't mind cables or extra boxes or whatever as long as I have the best possible setup, so my questions:

1 - Should I buy a TV with a built in Sat Tuner?

2 - Should I buy a TV with dual Sat Tuner if I wish to record/series link etc?

3 - Would it be better to skip TV with Sat Tuner and just buy a Sat Tuner box instead?

4 - Is is beneficial to have the TV do all this as per points 1 and 2, with one remote and one EPG, in theory, or better in the long term to use solo Sat boxes?

5 - Any recommendations for TV with Sat tuner built in, I have seen Walker, Nordmende, LG and Toshiba with this function, but I am also wary that you can't upgrade the sat hardware if needed to and the finer details of the Sat hardware in the TV is difficult to determine from the specs, I also saw mention of some TV's combine the saorview and sat channels into one list, any recommendations to achieve that?

6 -Any Sat tuners that have the Saorview function built in?

7 -Do Sat tuners that record need two Sat connections or can some do it with one?

8 - For recording TV, any thoughts on using high capacity USB stick or USB SATA drive, or can you do either?

9 - For a Sat Tuner box, any recommendations on what is best one(s), I work in IT so I don't mind complexity if it works better?

10 - What specs should a Sat Tuner box have at a minimum, eg DVB-S/S2 / DVB-T/T2, what is the best current standards?

11 - Should a Sat Tuner box (or TV) be "FreeSat" compatible or branded to get the best result, are these even available in Ireland?

12 - Do any Sat Tuner manufacturers have "good" remote controls too, I have seen some not so great remote controls on Sat boxes?

Thanks for reading and if you can help I would appreciate it, quote point number to make it easier to reply if you wish, or post a relevant link and I will research.

Many Thanks,

Jim.

🙂

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

A Zgemma h7s would suit your needs and be the best bang for your buck. Big thread on here regarding it.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Advertisement