Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I a bad person...

Options
  • 28-06-2023 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭

I really like the current crop of Triumph bikes, I just saw the new Scrambler 400X and Speed 400, whick both look great and seem to have a nice level of detail compared to the direct competition...

... but all the Union Jacks on their bikes and kit puts me off owning one. I'd actually like a 1200 Scrambler or a T120... But theres flegs in the headlights, on the speedo, on the key, the tank, engine covers etc. I get the arguement that it's just their logo... but their logo is a Union Jack.

I'm not anti English, I just don't want their fleg all over my bike... I also have issues with the union jack tail lights on the Mini. I also wouldn't have stuff with USA flags or Saudi or French. So am I stuck in the past, biggoted, or is it okay that I just don't want to buy a 12k bike with Union Jacks all over it?

Am I a bad person... 107 votes

OP is the antichrist, nothing wrong with Union Jacks.
    4% 5 votes
    Union Jacks are their thing, I don't want them on my bike.
    60% 65 votes
    The Brits are at it again!
    34% 37 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I’d be of the same sentiment as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

I think I would feel the same for any flag, including the Tricolour to be honest. I mean, obviously it's their logo, so they're not just adding a flag, but it would put me off too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just Tippex over it like we used to do with Reebok runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I actually put some thought into debadging one, but relaistically by the time your replace the headlight etc. you will be in for big money. Also, things like the key will look **** with the logo removed and just a triangular shaped hole in it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I know that I wouldn't get a mini with the Union Jack tail lights either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It would definitely put me off one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's lots more countries than Ireland that have issues with the UK. Putting their flag all over their products isn't a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You can get them deleted at the dealer. Probably costs more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭jeremyr62

One assumes they have done their market research and concluded the benefits of flying the flag outweigh the negatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

No harm to the brits across the water but I wouldn’t own anything with a Union Jack on it. It’s too strongly associated with intransigent unionists and murderous loyalists up north.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The market research would have concluded that the Irish market is inconsequential if they even bothered to survey it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

The rear lights are an option in Ireland. Part of the headlight upgrade package but you can request it without the rear lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Not entirely true. Initially they were spec'ed as standard and you had to pay a couple of thousand to replace them. Someone started a campaign to get them to change their standard import specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eldudeson

It's a strange one. I have no issue really with the flag, but I was given a shirt from Sports Direct that has a small flag on it and have never worn it! Not out of protest, it just feels wrong to put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

I'm Scottish. I do not want a Union Jack on my gear if I can help it. Having to carry their passport is enough. I don't consider it my flag.

I like Spada gear but a lot of their jackets have the UJ on them. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You're not alone.

Pop into any TKMaxx and you'll see tat with the Union flag left on the shelves. No one wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭jeremyr62

I suspect if you went into a TK Maxx in England and there was loads of Irish flagged tat, it wouldn't be flying off the shelves either.

TK Maxx not known for their sense of geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭GavPJ

If I had a Triumph (which I like) the first mod I would do is remove the union jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have a Tiger and it's the last thing on my mind. Great bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

eh, ive more things to be worrying about than what fleeeeegs are on things. unless its a swastika orsome crazy shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's enough risk of your bike being vandalised in a public place by some knuckle dragger without putting UJs all over it.

90s Triumphs came with large stick-on flag badges on the fairing in every market except here! A friend imported a secondhand one from the UK and I later bought it, first thing he did was peel the badges off and put them in the bike's documents folder. I actually think I still have them somewhere.

I had a 04 Triumph with no UJs on it whatsoever, I don't think it had any as stock but the previous owner had had it resprayed anyway before I bought it.

Wouldn't consider one again I'm afraid, mainly due to Brexit (parts were expensive even before that) but UJs wouldn't help either.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Are Triumph bikes any use? They have a lot of competition out there with no Union Jacks on them...

Only one I've seen lately is a Rocket which struck me as a bit of a gimmick. Does any need a 2.5l motorbike that does 10 miles to the gallon? Does anyone need a 1200cc scrambler that looks like a DT175?

I've never paid them much attention, is that their thing, odd configurations to try and stand out from the crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The triple engine is brilliant! They are a fantastic bike. When buying my XRT, it fit most boxes and at the very bottom of the list was the fleg. Does it bother me - no. Yes I consider myself very Irish and am aware of the problems the British caused our country but I still went ahead. When I'm changing bike will I consider them again - perhaps - but what of it. I've owned a British bike and that's all it is. An object for getting from A to B.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Newish Mini’s have these Union Jack rear light clusters. From a design perspective the indicators are troublesome because they look like arrows pointing the wrong direction, at least in in the US. Over here they share the OP’s problem. I’ve noticed more and more of them have the full cluster disabled to make the light up Union Jack on the back of your little German car less obvious.

https://jalopnik.com/congratulations-mini-you-made-the-stupidest-turn-sign-1847727385

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The litre triples are great fun to ride, pull like a train from idle yet still have a top end.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'm generally indifferent to the UK & Irelands' history, and I hate the average shinner but I still wouldn't want it.

For a lot of people around the world it probably brings up ideas of Austin powers rather than imperialism. Even in other former colonies they don't seem to care as much as some people in Ireland do, probably as that drum isn't constantly being beaten.

Keeping it on bikes, In India and Pakistan there's it's tied to British bikes even the now 100% Indian ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

I personally don't like any flag on anything, including if it's our own flag.

It's all a bit tacky if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't know if it's still a thing but you used to see Reebok runners with the flag covered with black marker.

I removed some American flags off a bike I once had. I don't like flags on things so much. It screams "fake patriotism" and I find it offputting. I wouldn't have an Irish flag on a bike either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭muddle84

Advertisement