Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Icecream

• 28-06-2023 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭

Just having a rant really, but maybe there is a discussion to be had about ice-cream. Just about every grown-up ice-cream bar has chocolate on it or in it. There are a few 'children's' icecreams but they are mostly pretty poor. For most people this is not a problem, in fact it is the way ice-cream should be.

However there are a few unfortunate souls who can't eat chocolate, maybe even a few that don't like it. It gives me migraines, even white chocolate, so I haven't eaten any in some 30 years, and don't particularly miss it. Except on ice-cream. Then Aldi introduced the caramel millionaire, which was excellent (though more expensive than chocolate versions). Perfect. No chocolate, just caramel shell, soft caramel layer inside and a marbled caramel ice-cream inside. Heaven. And now they have discontinued it after, I think, about 6 months.

I have given feedback on their website but I don't suppose it will make any difference.

Magnum do a double caramel bar but for whatever reason they have included white chocolate in the caramel coating, so that is no use either.

I thought chocolate was supposed to be getting scarce and expensive, you would think they would be looking for alternatives!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’m surprised ice cream manufacturers are still using real chocolate and not some synthetic substitute.

Post edited by Gloomtastic! on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Aldi Caramel millionaire was coated in chocolate....🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hey! I just checked the box - which was still in the recycling - and you are right! 27% white chocolate, don't know how I missed that, I am normally a careful contents checker! That's amazing as it did not have any effect on me. Maybe after all these years I have become less sensitive? It usually works the other way round. That has cheered me up considerably!

It doesn't change the argument that there is very little of any interest for people who can't eat chocolate though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tesco real fruit splits are lovely.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ever tried making your own?

I've never done it but pretty sure there are machines you can pick up that make it easy? Anyone got one, are they any use?

• Advertisement

I haven't, but its not the ice cream, there are some very nice ice creams to scoop, its that crisp crunch of shell over the sticky toffee and very nice ice cream in the middle that I love 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I picked up one in Aldi/Lidl a few years back, and though it's a bit of a ball ache, the results were surprisingly good, with banana flavour ice cream coming out best.. fantastic actually...

It's just too much effort though in preparation, and then cleaning to make it worth while, for the amount you end up getting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Brunch? Ice berger? Soleros?

Not really to any of them, Ice Berger has both chocolate and wheat/biscuit, the other two I wouldn't be bothered about, Solero is about the best of them.

Advertisement