Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Edgeworthstown - Mostrim and Tinnynarr?

Options
  • 28-06-2023 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

I'm considering moving to Edgeworthstown. I know its very small and not much to it but it ticks a lot of boxes on my priority list.

The question I have is that I've seen old reports of fights between travellers in the area. One place mentioned is Tinnynarr. A search seems to show this covers quite a large area to the west/ northwest of the main town. And it covers the housing estate of Mostrim Oaks.

Would this estate be considered rough or dangerous? The reports of windows being smashed out and houses being burnt, although years ago, seem scary.

Any up to date advice on the safe and unsafe neighbourhoods in Edgeworthstown would be appreciated . Looking at the Facebook pages for the area it seems like there are some great people there really trying to modernise the town and keep it's spirit alive.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Theres a recent thread about the worst villages in Ireland.

Edgeworthstown is mentioned far more than anywhere else apart from Longford town. I would let that be your guide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pihjin

Oh... thank you. Do you happen to have a link to the thread?

I found this thread but it's only mentioned twice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I cant find the thread now. There was definitely a pile on for it.

But sure go visit the town before you buy. Stay there for a week to get a feel for it. A more horrible, soulless place you wont find is my guess.

Last time I went to a pub there (before covid) there was a massive fight like in the pub, like a saloon fight in a western :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Hope they give the houses for free or for 1 euro. 😂

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I live near Edgeworthstown. There was a huge amount of houses built during the section 23 tax incentive.

There are some good people here. It is a handy place to commute from.

People were sold a dream of an hour 10 min commute to Dublin during the boom.

I know there are some characters who got social housing there, some from Dublin who undertook criminal activities from here,guns drugs etc. Traveller feuds etc.

Would you look at another town? Ardagh,Tarmonbarry? More the countryside where there might be houses?

Thanks for the reply everyone. I managed to go Sale Agreed on a house in Carrick-on-Shannon just today! I could not be happier!

Advertisement