Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange New Worlds S2-E3 'Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I liked it. The guy doing Kirk is fine. Sure Chris did a better job but it's a hard act to follow William Shatner

He does remind me of Jim Carey a bit. A toned down Jim Carey

I'm still adjusting to the light again after Picard. It's all good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭corkie

Although I enjoyed the episode, only time will tell, if above comparisons hold up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I find that article a pretty odd take on the episode... the performances are quite strong - particularly La'an - but the plot itself is suuuper shonky, and fairly thoughtlessly thrown together. In a way it's a decent episode in spite of itself as a bit of a character study, but for something to be classed as "packing an intellectual punch" it would surely need the actual story to be a lot more thoughtful and tightly written than this was. It's not the worst episode, but it's firmly mid/lower-tier for me anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

One thing in this episode really annoyed me: the characterisation of young Khan as a sweet, innocent little kid. I get that the "kill Hitler as a baby" plot depends on him being "just a boy" but it just didn't seem to match with his character at all. Who started the trend of characterising future villains this way anyway? Was it Lucas? I went to school with plenty of disturbed children who were well on their way to becoming psychos and scumbags from a young age. I also think La'an sparing him would have been more interesting if he was already showing signs of a future tyrant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Evade

The sympathetic or tragic villain isn't new but it's been really over done in the last decade. There's nothing more refreshing than a story with a villain that's just evil, without a hint of grey to be found.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Perhaps; though she did leave a gun Behind ... so maybe she was the instigator of Khan's path to evil in the first place? That she's the cause of her own legacy lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Khan was a bit grey from the start. Kirk describes him in "Space seed" as the most benevolent of the Eugenics War tyrants who didn't reign over massacres. He let him go to Ceti Alpha V rather than a penal colony as he saw some good in him. Not such a nice guy in "Wrath of Khan" though they did give him a good reason for being pissed. If anything, SNW probably overdid it a bit describing his legacy as "worse than Hitler".

@Stark SNW probably overdid it a bit describing his legacy as "worse than Hitler".

Did I miss this somewhere, when did they actually do that on screen?

I know the episode was pitched as such, and media have played on it.

Star Trek Strange New Worlds' Time Travel Story Almost Happened 57 Years Ago

Strange New Worlds provides a Star Trek twist on the well-worn killing Hitler time travel dilemma, but TOS once attempted to tell that story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Evade

So he's the Mussolini of the Eugenics War's Axis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Been away so just caught up on this episode:

Do not like time travel episodes.

Do not like really glaring and obvious inconsistencies.

Do not like 'Let's put Kirk in a Mustang'

...but La'an and the actor playing her, fantastic. Great character, brilliantly played, developed, well rounded, has motivation and reason. Enjoyed the episode despite the silly bits, they were easy enough to shake off.

SNW is still light years ahead of everything since VOY in my opinion.

"Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow," though, was shot onsite in Toronto. Since the crew and cast were shooting outside, that meant they had to account for weather changes (especially snow) and conserve their daylight. .......

There was also COVID-19 to worry about — safety protocols are naturally harder to enforce in the open-air environment of a city than they are on a sound stage.

Advertisement