Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a PGA Pro

• 29-06-2023 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

I'm currently thinking of doing the Pga course, while working in a shop. However, the one thing that's stopping me is the apprentice wage for the 3 years and I also have no idea what the wages are like as a shop pro. I'm currently a Data Analyst at 26, but I hate sitting at a desk. My gf and I are hoping to get a mortgage in the next 2-3 years. It goes without saying that I can't do it until then, but is it a mistake financially to make that kind of a move at 29/30 going forward? Are there any Pga Pros on this that could give me some advice please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭Sipper

Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Devlin22222

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Practically every professional in Cork is looking for an assistant, why don't you talk to them. They will have a lot more knowledge than you'll find here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mike48

I can relate a little to what your asking. Not the PGA Route but taking a leap without knowing. If having a career in golf is truly what you want then try substitute the loss in income with a 2nd part time job. I did this at 22. i worked in a factory , always wanted to work with cars, an apprentice popped up at the time for half the wages i was on at the factory. of i recall 25 years ago it was 143 pounds a week. I took on a part time job bouncing at night 5 nights a week to make up for the loss of earnings for the factory job.

It wasn't easy as i was also playing football as well at the time. Training hard and working even harder but i made it work as also like you we were saving for a mortgage.. As my wages in the garage started going up i started dropping nights on the door of the club and eventually i was able to support us on the one wage.

It takes dedication, discipline, patience and also a really trusting and supportive partner.. If you really want it then go for it. You'll regret it in years to come if you pass up the opportunity. And also , yes there are heaps of Pro's around giving lessons there is very few that are very very good at what they do.

Be different. Be better than the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

look up the number of PGA pros that give up the role within 5/10 years? I don’t know the number but I reckon it’s very high. I know many and they had to change career as they started family life. Also, look at how many work in stores like McGuirks, I couldn’t think of a worse job personally if a pro.

the contract with the pro while you are an assistant isn’t decent and even worse when you become a pro with very long days and early starts. Not good for family life.

I also don’t know many happy pros, it’s a boring job and if you think you will play a lot of golf it’s likely you will play even less.

very few pros make decent money unless they are good at lessons or have a brilliant retail business. Retail is very hard for pro’s, it’s either golf balls, drinks and snacks and competition from the big retailers.

finally, pros in every golf club will not be around much longer. In the US this as already happened because clubs run the shops and run the sales side of golf more efficiently. I personally believe this model is the best way forward for members clubs. It might be years before this model happens but when pros retire in clubs, they will likely not be replaced and pros contract to a club for lessons only.

at 26 you are on the older age bracken to start. Nearly every club in Ireland is looking for ass pros so that alone should tell you something.

The only positive I see is going into golf management if you are good with data. This is a very well paid role and will be the people running clubs throughout Ireland in the future.

Post edited by Ollieboy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Different sport, no? 😲

Advertisement