Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO choice but want to keep my own router and transfer phone number

Options
  • 29-06-2023 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

I am with VM 360Mb for years. Use google Mesh as router, VM box is just in modem mode with phone connected direct to this so i have a phone line (understand its VOIP).

SIRO is available with 6 providers. None of the websites let me know if I can use their router as a modem so I can continue to use my router and nothing about the phone line. They are all priced around same.

Options : Vodafone, Sky, Digiweb, Fastcom, Pure Telecom, Blacknight.

Of those, only Digiweb mention their Fritzbox and the phone is a seperate charge. Nothing about modem mode.

Can anyone help explain if they have any of the above providers and can you use your own router and what about phone line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Would also like to know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Damien360

I’ll update the above. Switched from VM to Vodafone Siro. Cannot turn off the wifi on the Vodafone router but I have just plugged my google router into the VF box and all is working. So no change to the network and everything appears to work. The phone line is still with VM as they are taking their sweet time switching it over. As I had to give 30 days notice, I am currently paying for two services for the moment. There is no option to plug a phone into the google router so it looks like I have to keep the VF box as is. Phone service is 5 euro more than advertised rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I can't help with the phone. I don't have a home phone so it's not part of my equation.

I have SIRO and I swapped my Vodafone router a few years ago to a Archer C7 AC1750 as the WiFi on my Vodafone box wasn't great. On researching at the time it seemed that most routers would work as long as they support VLAN Tagging. I can't remember what I did to set it up but it wasn't too complicated (i.e. I wasn't messing around with it for more than an hour or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

With any FTTH provider's prone service you will need to use their router as they usually won't give out the VoIP server details and username/password.

Another option is to use a separate VoIP service which would reduce any hassle in switching in future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭swoofer

To have phone working and your own router you need a managed smart switch I use a Netgear GS305E see Amazon De. You end up with 2 routers and can use both wi fi but ISP router wi fi is usually poor so just turn it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

My aprents are using NBP with Pure and their own router. As mentioned above, the providers won't give the SIP details for VOIP though.

Just enable VLAN 10 on the wan port and plug the output from the ONT into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

If your own router handles VLAN tagging (and the ISP's definitely will) then an unmanaged switch will work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭meathenterpr

Advertisement