Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a case for breaking up RTE?

Options
  • 29-06-2023 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭

RTE television seems to be drifting for may years losing money inspite of its prime position. It also is too Dublin focused (not saying that Dublin shouldn't get its share) when do you see Cork mentioned in the news unless it's flooding?

TG4 could do most of the PSB needed other sections could be sold off to private concerns. Include the valuable site at Montrose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some have asked to close RTÉ and start again. Separate News, Current Affairs, Sport and Culture from the rest. Use the TV licence fees and public money to fund these.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭squonk

Speaking from a West of Ireland perspective TG4 do an excellent job covering issues this side of the Shannon. In some ways they remind me of what RTE used to be up until the early 90s at the latest. Good documentary shows, excellent music shows and showing niche shows that you’d actually want to watch instead of homegrown versions of international shows that cost a fortune like RTE do. TG4 showed Breaking Bad. Need I say more.

Growing up in the 80s around 7 or 8pm most evenings you’d see stuff like Knight Rider and the A-Team. Big ticket US shows at the time. Nowadays you have to stay up late to see the same. In their place are Fairly ****, EastEnders and whatever Baz or those obnoxious architects are doing these days. The level of absolute **** in RTE has gone up to 11 IMHO with little for the regular viewer.

By way of defence I will say that TG4 has freed up RTE to show more Dublin centric dross as the Irish music shows have been handed over to TG4 and they do those well.

More about this proposed in the media today.

Advertisement