Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close call over Leixlip today?

Options
  • 29-06-2023 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

Can sone one check back on fr24? I was in Leixlip (glen easton s.c.) at 15:30 today.

Two private small propeller aircraft looked like they came very close to each other.

It looked like one changed course to avoid , but you know yourself from the ground it might of looked different.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Glen Easton is Leixlip, not lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

Sorry ill edit so it is... long day at work zzz.

Its a disgrace Joe!

I had a quick look, and all I can see is a Reims-Cessna doing circuits. No sign of another plane around that time

There was deffo two, they looked like they were at near enough the same altitude, is there any other way of finding out?

Its a disgrace Joe!

I wrote the time down on a notepad in my van, ill just run out and double check.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

Just checked my notepad it was 15:20

Its a disgrace Joe!

Only thing showing on FR24 is the one I mentioned.

Of course I’m sure there are ways to not appear on FR24, so it’s not gospel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

We are currently UTC +1. It's also Thursday 29th.

Looks like EI-MCF and EI-BMN took off one after the other and MCF overtook BMN while both staying at 800ft AGL south of the M4.

How close were they do you mind me asking?

I live near Dublin airport so am well used to aircraft but this just looked close.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

• Advertisement

Oops!!! Sorry!! Brain fart

Fair play, thanks for looking and thanks for the photos. Now im not up to scratch on the rules, but is there not a min distance requirment between aircraft?

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭AnRothar

It depends on the airspace and the flight types.

VFR aka visual flight rules in uncontrolled airspace look out the window.

IFR aka Instrument Flight Rules in controlled airspace will be separated.

When you mix IFR and VFR what separation to be applied will depend on the type of airspace.

So your 2 small aircraft were most likely operating as VFR flights in uncontrolled airspace and so were separating themselves.

Post edited by AnRothar on

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Post edited by AnRothar on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Screen recording of what Phonyponys mentioned

https://streamja.com/An03n

Thats brilliant thanks for that. Asked a questions got the answers even got screenshots and a video. Thanks a mill everyone... very helpfull forum.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭ThreeGreens

That's perfectly normal operation. The second aircraft would have watched the first one take off, and would have kept visual contact with the first one. They would tell the first one what they were doing and that they were over taking them, and they separate themselves.

It's quite common when close to the airport and aircraft departing together.

This is only allowed for VFR flights. IFR flights (which all the airlines out of Dublin would be) aren't allowed to self separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cpxxc

MCF is a C172 so of course it overtook BMN which is a C152. So par for the course flying out of Weston.

Many years ago I had an actual near miss with EI-BMN in the training area west of Dublin. My Instructor was complaining about me drifting above the correct altitude. Then we both noticed Mike November directly below us at the correct altitude.

She just shook her head and said maybe it was just as well I was rubbish at holding an altitude.🤣

• I had a couple of near misses at Weston, the one that took me out out the place regards further aviation was when I was landing on a short northerly grass runway in a Rallye 100 with a faster Cessna 172 descending over me. Instructor spotted the shadow of the 172 as there was bright sunlight from behind.

Had plenty of previous solo experiences, especially where pilots failed to account for wind drift in orbit, which was a dodgy situation for beginners imposed too often by the airfield owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Weston /NFC seem to have supplemented some of their Cessnas with some more modern looking, low winged yoke with a tiny ,tinny ,high revving engine .Was in the cafe last week on a fairly windy afternoon and would swear a student doing touch and go’s almost or actually grazed the wing off the ground on a bouncy landing .Surely the high wing Cessna is better for beginners ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Lots of classic training types are low-wing - think Chipmunk, Tiger Moth and of course the Rallye which was used at Weston in the past. Cessna has always stuck with the high-wing layout on its singles but not so for most other GA manufacturers.

Advertisement