Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

Well, the government don't see it that way -- and they've waded into the matter.

Jeremy Hunt, the Chancellor, is understood to be “deeply concerned” that overzealous lenders are closing down accounts because they disagree with customers’ opinions and has asked City minister Andrew Griffith to investigate the issue.

Whitehall sources said that results of a consultation on the subject will be published within weeks, after it was launched earlier this year in the wake of PayPal blocking the accounts of free speech groups.

The Treasury is poised to recommend a more rigid notice period if payment providers, including high street lenders, want to close a customer’s account as well as requiring banks to provide more information about why they have decided to shut accounts. Regulators will be able to take action against banks that break the rules.

Officials believe that the recommendations can curb excessive behaviour by banks.

Good on the government for acting fast here. This is in the interests of everyone, not just Farage and other conservative voices.

That supreme court ruling has no relevance to what's happening in the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Responsibility is something that children are supposed to learn. I await the hysterical screaming and wailing of American conservatives as they get rightly discriminated against on the basis of their vile beliefs. It's not really relevant here though the Tories do seem to look to the GOP for inspiration.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I imagine because of data protection, the bank/s in question cannot publicly release the details about this story without the approval of Farage.

If everything is above board on his part, why doesn't he explain the situation in detail and allow the bank to release the details to the wider public?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭McFly85

He’s well aware that the banks cannot divulge information publicly about his accounts which allows him to grandstand unopposed and change the story to suit his narrative that he’s being targeted specifically.

Theres 8 banks in total I think who have decided that doing business with Farage represents too much risk. That’s the height of it.

What type of risk that is only the banks know, but there must be something pretty clear for all of them to reject his proposal.

What he hasn’t been able to prove is that he’s being rejected for simply having opinions, which is laughable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

His "performance" when an MEP was also laughable, barely turning up to vote (745th out of 746th), miss spent EU funds and usual sneering nonsense when he spoke, but still happy to take the money (and pension).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Convenient, isn't it? As Peregrinus says, he's trying to control the narrative. The one certainty here is that all endeavours of this nature inevitably fail and the truth will inevitably force its way to the surface.

I don't see it. He's too prominent and the UK's already had an attempted assassination by the Russians on its soil. I don't see them trying again just to lance a boil like Farage. It's much more likely that they've some form of kompromat to keep him in line.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

My flatmate actually is a producer for one of their shows. Treated appallingly. Unreal the stories he tells me. Loads of staff leave the station every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I was implying that one of his head case supporters would, not Russia

I can happen. (Jo Cox 2016, ☹️ )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭McFly85

Dominica Lawsons case sounds like they had to follow additional(and laborious sounding) PEP procedures. The did eventually get an account opened for her at Barclays - but there are different procedures for PEPs, and it’s just the bank and the employees insulating themselves from risk, even if sometimes it might seem overbearing.

Crucially though, at no point was she denied an account simply for being a conservative, or for having opinions.

And I would argue that you hear supposed conservative voices complaining about this in the main as most other people impacted by PEP don’t go crying to the media about how the banks are targeting them for their beliefs. They probably just complain to themselves and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It sounds grim...they sacked/suspended this muppet...then brought him back.

It's really flopping, the fact it spouts so much nonsense it is struggling to be classified as a news channel says it all.

OFCOM launching another investigation I see.

I believe you. They're haemhorrhaging money so it sadly makes sense that the staff have to put up with all sorts.

They've had to cut one of their shining stars loose. Not a good omen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll soon have some deeply massaged statistics put forward, to show that we're all wrong; that GB News is actually doing really amazing thankyouverymuch - it's just our soft English-Hating Hard Left brains can't comprehend their disruption. And presumably OFCOM is just another vassal of the Leftist agenda.

The events that have happened the world - especially the Western one - since the channel started, have shown just how pointless and irrelevant the channel is against more important subjects in life. For a brief, heady period Populism - as in that version using "woke" as its drum - managed to turn heads but it all seems very transparently hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was being a bit facetious, I know he hasn't provided any evidence and his fanboys are taking at his word. I'm sure evidence would be required if it was someone else. Banks aren't typically in the business of refusing people's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Sorry for the delay in replying. But this is not about Farage. It's about something more fundamental.

It is about banks having the right to shut somebody down because of their political beliefs.

If there is no legislation in place to stop this happening, it will eventually happen. Doesn't matter whether you are right or left leaning.

If the person in power was Putin like, he would probably overturn the legislation so it would be a moot point by then anyway.

However, Lets assume we don't ever get anybody as evil as Putin.

If the banks are in the earhole of whoever is in power at that particular moment, you could be digitally and financially shut down for posting something critical of them on Twitter, Facebook or even Boards.

We need legislation in Ireland to stop this happening now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It is about banks having the right to shut somebody down because of their political beliefs.

But that's just it. The core wrinkle of this discussion is: there's no actual proof this has happened to Farage, beyond what he claimed. A man whose relationship with truth and honesty isn't exactly what you'd call "beyond reproach" in the first place, and is prone to grandiose attention-seeking.

We don't need legislation for something that doesn't happen, unless one chooses to believe that Farage's finances are so squeaky clean that a refusal of business had to be because of political motivations. Which in turns begs the question: why would Farage be targeted, specifically? A niche figure at best, who has no actual fingerprints on how Brexit has panned out? It doesn't take much sniffing to find holes in this "story".

What is the Irish legislation or actual law to stop somebody being financially shut down because of their political beliefs?

Is there a reference number to call it up online?

there's no actual proof this has happened to Farage

Yes, because it's far more likely that Farage decided to deliberately strain his perfect relationship with the prestigious Cootes banking group by inventing lies about them.

That makes a lot of sense.

Is there a reference number for someone being financially shut down because they have ginger hair?

Much of the law is based on precedent, and until there's any proof, actual proof, that Banks - those institutions not exactly known for having qualms about its customers political beliefs in the first place (hello Switzerland) - refused custom based on political beliefs, this should be considered idiotic tattle from someone with a noted, sordid history with talking absolute shíte.

• Advertisement

Is this actually happening? Do you have something more robust than the word of various conmen?

Or maybe your hero isn't financially ... on the up and up, and as the venerable Peregrinus has pointed out, is simply getting ahead of a story through the convenient pivot towards martyrdom.

Whither Theresa May's punishment? I mean, she's the one actually triggered Article 50. You'd think if the Banks were this ... .... lol, den of Leftist anti-Brexit anger they'd be chasing Theresa May, Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, David Cameron ... ya know, people who wot did the Brexit. Not a media junkie.

When people take Farage's word that the banks were biased against him, you demand evidence.

Yet you have no problem speculating that Farage is shrouded in financial malfeasance without a shred of evidence.

Having a tepid relationship with evidence doesn't do your arguments any justice.

Well then there should be legislation in Switzerland too. I don't have any Swiss bank accounts so I am fine. it's Ireland I am worried about today.

But access to bank accounts should be totally non discriminatory, as long as you are not a criminal or money launderer.

Anyone who thinks Farage is some bastion of free speech would want to give their head a wobble.

He’s a boring John Bull loudmouth who has made a career as a grifter. His “anti woke” man with a pint and a fag act is embarrassing.

Total spoofer and a complete dimwit to boot.

Don't get me wrong, he turns my stomach too, but his case has brought up an interesting debate about the power of banks to shut down people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

How? The only one claiming, apart from those willing to simply take his word, that it is anything political is Farage.

Banks are private companies and therefore have the right to place terms and conditions on their customers. Customers have the right to go through the Ombudsman to ensure that those T&C's are fairly applied.

What was the outcome of the Ombudsman's investigation?

Not really the point I was making re. Switzerland, but again: you worry for legislation for a situation that doesn't occur, as far as we know? One instance, from one individual claiming persecution, does not make a precedent.

And that's leaving aside the issue that we have plenty of legislation in this country; often the problem comes from our inability to police or prosecute when said legislation is broken.

Once more, with feeling: the burden of proof in all this, is Nigel Farage's. Not mine; his. I'm under no obligation to believe a word he says, given the precedent of his own prior behaviour and attitudes, that what he says is true. If I want to call him a lizard man from Pluto that's my prerogative - though like Farage, I'd be asked to prove it all the same. Though I think in real terms, accusing a bank of political prejudice (snort) is a bit more serious than Farage's planet of origin.

But. I don't expect someone who has opened multiple accounts with a Farage avatar to possess the ability to question, or even interrogate with a degree of curiousity, the man's words or motives; but I think it's fairly clear the situation can't be taken at face value without some serious questions asked.

Questions I note you just simply ignore, presumably cos they're both obvious, and inconvenient.

I haven't been shut down so far. So Ombudsman wise, there was no requirement personally speaking.

But I should wait until it actually happens to do something about it? WTF?

Why is everybody missing the big point here?

• Advertisement

Because it's easier to personally attack Farage with childish insults (which is popular) rather than to engage with the much bigger question of whether financial institutions should get away with this kind of behaviour.

The UK government have launched an investigation into the matter. It'll be interesting to glean what conclusions that investigation comes to.

Advertisement