Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Spare me the JAQing nonsense. People parrotted everything Farage, a proven liar and coman said with no critical thought whatsoever. This isn't asking questions, it's pushing an agenda and it's pathetically transparent.

Every time someone has asked for proof that banks are shutting down people's accounts for no other reason than their political beliefs, the response has always been soapboxing and gaslighting. If you want, we can have a discussion but dumping opinions of known racist liars without question is going to lead to an appropriately sceptical response.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

If you look at my previous posts you will see I never did any of that.

Sometimes people ask questions without an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

Seems bizzare. BBC run a story from " sources " how do these sources know details of this matter yet Coutts themselves don't want to talk about it on the record ?

Presumably it sounds like the account would still be active if the balance was above the minimum so as far as they are concerned their is no suspicions of any wrongdoing or have any political bias against him.

As far as i can recall he never mentioned the bank by name just internet gossip. Might be wrong like.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But the problem is there isn't really a discussion to have, to an extent: of course nobody should be discriminated by a bank based on the sexuality, politics, gender or whatever - and broadly speaking we have checks and boundaries around that - but there's no real evidence this issue is either prevalent or even exists. What we've had amounts to hearsay, he-said-bank-said, and a small whiff of what feel like excuses for a bank thinking someone is just too much of a risk to do business with (or in the case of Farage, didn't meet the minimum lodged amount required for an account). Not to mention the bias of those defending Farage to the hilt - and continuing to do so.

And when divulging a person's financial risk or background detail is a non-runner, there's no way any of us can know what the bank was thinking. Sure, maybe they was prejudice in effect - but how would you ever truly know, and how could you rely on the other side to be speaking the truth? "the customer is always right" shouldn't be a maxim, ever, cos they're frequently wrong or just trying to tell a story 😂 The key problem is one side of the "debate" can't discuss their dealings.

And that's before one gets into the question of well, it's a Bank and within reason they get to set the rules. But those rules would be from the top-down and heavily codified... so if there WAS a legitimate question of (say) Brexit supporting people getting denied bank accounts it's: either a company directive - in which case, that's gonna get rumbled sooner than later; or a rogue representative giving individuals the bum's rush - in which case you can't account for bad employees turning away potentially Good Risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

Damn. I wonder what exactly he's asking for with these banks, or it is just that he isn't wealthy enough anymore? Thus you have Cootes offering him a regular NatWest account just like the rest of us normies.

Would be very ironic / hillariously funny if losing his MEP paycheck is what helped put him under the wealth threashold to bank with these people.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

No, I posted it as something that I never want to see in the democratic country that I live in.

It is way too easy to shut people down digitally in 2023, and the point I was making was it is important to have legislation written into law before the fact to prevent banks from doing so without valid cause, valid cause being money laundering, criminality or similar such activities.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Nothing says "Man of the people" like filming your complaint about not getting a VIP bank account from a Boutique Bank in front of your swimming pool..

• Advertisement

It'd be nice if you could produce some form of evidence to back this up. You say that it's way too easy and yet it doesn't seem to be happening at all. This latest right wing phantom that we're all supposed to be terrified of isn't very convincing, I'm afraid.

Firstly I am not right wing. Not sure where you got that from.

Secondly preventative legislation will stop it from ever happening, so we won't have to dig up evidence after the fact. Only then can we can sleep soundly without the threat of it happening.

How about we legislate a ban on the boogeyman sleeping under kids beds too so kids can sleep peacefully at night without the threat of it happening?

Let’s ban all sorts of things based on paranoid delusion.

Why should we waste governmental time and resources on preventing something that isn't happening? I've noticed that you've once again provided exactly zero evidence.

When I said "it's easy to shut people down digitally" I was saying technically it is. It's just a few computer button presses.

That's all I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I mean I can sleep quite soundly given what we now know. He failed to keep his account above the minimum required level, it sounds like they gave him a bit of leeway with that for a while (it's not like as soon as your account goes below that limit they close your account, Farage himself said they didn't close his account for a number of years), and they offered him an account with their sister bank.

I don't see where any "preventative legislation" is required.

It's not though. You're still parroting this conspiracy theory that we're somehow at the whims of commie banks who'll ban us the second we don't proclaim their values loudly enough.

Please explain which buttons. This argument sounds very “series of tubes” to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and the idea of Coutts, Coutts for crying out loud, being involved in a conspiracy against someone like Farage is just ridiculous.

I don't think he did you know. He only said he would not name the bank but has after the BBC named them first. I might be wrong like

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭McFly85

“The establishment is trying to force me out of the UK by closing by bank accounts”

”I have been given no explanation or recourse as to why this is happening to me”

Isn’t that(to borrow a popular phrase in this thread) a non sequitur? Like his accounts are closed without explanation, so it’s obviously the establishment trying to run him out of town.

Oh, and the vast majority of the time anyone says if they can do it to me, they can do it to you is baseless fear mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Has this Nigel Farage character historically been a reliable enough source that he should be taken at face value?

He just tweeted that 2 hours ago after the BBC named Coutts as the bank. As i recall he never named the bank until it became public, like i say i might be wrong. The BBC published it 4 hours ago and is now in the public domain, so Farage can name them.

Maybe the media should wait for an official response instead of hearsay from unnamed sources. They requested comment from Coutts and they declined but just ran with it anyway.

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So here's what I think we can fairly surmise at this point based on the available information

Farage no longer meets the financial requirements to qualify for a "VIP" account from one of the various Boutique banks in the UK.

He is also a PEP.

Being a PEP means that his account attracts additional cost overheads as everything has to be checked and verified over and above the usual banking rules.

So , the combination of (relatively speaking) not much money in the accounts and increased costs associated with doing business with him , the banks aren't interested in taking on the work.

It has got absolutely NOTHING to do with his political views , nothing whatsoever.

He is perfectly free to go and open a regular old bank account in a regular old high street branch just like 99.9% of the rest of the world and do all the things we can all do.

His complaint would be a bit like me telling everyone I'm being victimised because I no longer have lounge access with all the airlines and I don't get to board first anymore because I don't travel as much now since Covid.

I can still buy a plane ticket and travel wherever I please , but I just don't get special treatment because I don't do 40+ flights a year like I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Coutts have been out there as the bank involved for a couple of days now - It was explicitly mentioned in the thread yesterday. Don't know the source , but the BBC article isn't the first exposure of the bank.

Probably because Coutts would sue him for lying.

Funny how the media shouldn't depend on hearsay but when it's Farage, it must be treated as gospel.

You're right.

Farage kept the bank unnamed, only naming it today after the BBC released their account of what allegedly happened.

• Advertisement

I get you, but it has not been disclosed by Farage just internet rumours and speculation. Question is, who gave private and confidential information to a " source " who gave it to the BBC who has now told the world. you can't just go around doing stuff like that surely.

Surely it is wrong to release peoples bank details or details of disputes based on heresay. If the bank come out themselves fair enough.

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement