Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

So you're saying he sees his supporters as customers?

As a politician, he's supposed to be involved in decision-making but when he had that opportunity, he was more interested in grandstanding than trying to work on solutions for the problems that he drones on about. Now that he's off the Brussels gravy train and can't get into Westminster, what purpose does he serve?

Why would I want to buy a gin from Nigel Farage? Or have him send me a birthday message on Cameo? What expertise or relevance does he have in either field?

Given his previous experience working in the City, the only service of his that might interest me is his investment tips, though it doesn't seem like he's done too well for himself so I wouldn't be too sure about that either.

The guy is very good at making a name for himself because he's terrible at being a politician. He's trying to make money off his brand instead of working on actual solutions. Thankfully, he's not having as much success as he'd like to.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

Someone who thinks they should be banking with Coutts, shouldn't need do Cameo to make an extra few quid

Furthermore, Farage was not publicly advertising his banking relationship with Coutts, so the idea that businesses were turned off using Couttes for commercial reasons because of Farage is absurd.

Nobody knew about it to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Any bartender or restauranteur or concierge desk in the country could know

Right, and that's a very believable conspiracy theory about how wealthy corporations found out about Farage's banking history and whether they should actively review Coutts off the back of that.

Bartenders and concierge staff. Ridiculous theory.

• Advertisement

It's a conspiracy theory now, that account holders have banking cards?

What are you even saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

Breaking news, NatWest CEO Alison Rose has issued an apology to Nigel Farage over the closure of his account with Coutts.

It would seem a lot of posters on this story clearly displayed their own prejudices by buying into the false and incorrect BBC report on the reasons why his account was closed. Fair play to the man for exposing the banks (the same banks who almost brought the UK economy to it’s knees with their reckless lending etc…) acting as moral arbitrators and deciding that just because they don’t like a customers politics they can close their account.

To all those posters, you can send your apologies to Nigel to farage@gbnews.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Deranged nonsnese.

Did you actually read into it?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The truth must hurt, the best thing you can do now is man up and admit the man was wronged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So you didn't actually read a link. You just dumped your snide comment here.

There's not a shred of evidence for Farage's version of events. Not one. They probably apologised just to shut the grubby little parasite up.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭Shoog

He whinged so hard that he tipped the balance in his favour, the reputational damage was seen as to hard to take because of all the noise that Farage was making and drawing attention to the bank in a negative way. A victory of sorts I suppose but hardly a vindication of Farage.

The government's not going to do anything either. They're making noises but the posh boys aren't going to turn the screws on their own bank. This way, Farage has to find another grift and the negative publicity goes away. Once again, a member of Britain's establishment is above the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

What's happened lads ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

There wont be any apology from me - a rather spineless decision on Nat Wests part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nor I; a rich man whinged publicly about political bias cos a rich man's bank thought he was too much of an àrse to be worth it as a client. This "bank" would turn any of us away, with prejudice, just for being too poor to be worth their time.

Thread probably wouldn't have been so active were it not for our resident fawning fan declaring infamy ad nauseum, shifting goalposts faster than the groundskeepers in Lansdowne..

Oh for god’s sake, you’re on the internet look it up, it’s all over the news here in the UK. The content of her letter is there for all to see.

You’re resorting to insulting me, and your hysterical reaction to this breaking news, clearly shows you just dislike Nigel Farage and are not interested in the truth.

Nigel Farage made a subject access request to NatWest and the contents of that report clearly showed that they wanted to close his account because they disagreed with his political views. The CEO specifically references this in her apology letter, that some of the comments in that report about Nigel were entirely inappropriate.

Tell you what tune into Farage on GB news at 7pm and let Nigel update you on it. You might learn something.

Essentially, what this boils down to is a man of almost 60 having a tantrum because he didn't get his way. He kicked and screamed so loud that the bank acted like an exasperated parent and just gave him what he wanted. People are supposed to grow out of these unpleasant childhood behaviours but I suppose that's what separates rich conservatives from the rest of us.

I'm probably one of the few unsurprised by this.

Coutts were clearly in the wrong since day one of this debacle. I'm glad to have been proven right in the end despite all the sarcastic responses to my points.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Personally, I find it odd that someone in his position is airing a spat with a bank all over social media, along with details of his private bank account. Most people in the public eye would never discuss this stuff in such a fashion.

As has been suggested in the thread though, it may be attention seeking or an attempt to make himself relevant again, especially with the backing of his many right wing press pals.

• Advertisement

Agreed. The attention-seeking thing is the most likely explanation. Once whoever wastes money propping up GB News pulls out, that's it for Farage. Nobody will touch him because of his lies and dodgy antics.

aah stop will ya, if your bank closed your accounts without giving you any reason, you’d do a lot more than whinge about it. You’d be onto Joe Duffy on liveline describing how you can’t pay you bills, can’t get paid etc etc etc. The banks have increasingly been doing this and not just to people in the public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

Yep, people on here had him down as a Kremlin agent, a bare faced liar and god know's what else. Now they are scrambling around in a pathetic state.

And now it looks like he has been totally vindicated,front page news and the government is running around changing the laws of the country so this discrimination never happens again to any more innocent victims.

Amazing what one man can do when he has truth on his side. Hopefully he takes the bar stewards to the cleaners.

What a legend of a bloke, should be given a knighthood really.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

... When he has a big gob and a bully pulpit.

I'm not going to research your argument for you nor will I be drinking from the putrid cultural toilet that is GB News.

Since you've nothing beyond snarky comments, let's leave it there.

Farage has already intimated in the last day that he may sue Coutts.

I certainly hope so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The net result does seem to be a renewal of media presence for a man who had lost the spotlight - it can't be a coincidence. And a quick way to reframe the Brexit narrative into yet another case of Victim Complex, rather than having to address the actual downward spiral of the UK's economy and society in light of the great folly Farage likes to claim responsibility for.

How many other knighthoods are given out for victimhood?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Didn't they apologise for the comments in the report about farage that wasn't linked to the closure?

Should private companies be allowed to keep a profile on their customers? Think carefully before you hypocrit yourself again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's what the bank thinks about him. Do you think the information they had was incorrect?

Advertisement