Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do you have an inalienable right to a business account? Asking for a man of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No - His public behaviour was the cause.

Him holding the views wasn't the risk - Him being deliberately provocative and confrontational as part of his role as a "right-wing political shock-jock" was the risk.

As I said many times , the Bank don't give a sh!t what views you hold , but if you are going to get into public spats about those views on an almost daily basis then those behaviours are a risk , not the opinions but the manner in which you choose to behave.

For example - There aren't any banks seeking to cease relationships with Jacob Rees-Mogg despite he and Farage holding very similar viewpoints on a very many things.

Why?

Two reasons , one JR-M has a LOT of money and a lot of money buys a lot of patience.

AND while he holds lots of views that people do not like , he isn't sh!t-posting on social media every day nor does he have a TV show where he goes on and on and on about his views actively seeking the engagement from his detractors to drive those viewer numbers and clicks.

Can you give examples of "public spats" from Farage that warrant a bank to reconsider the client?

Well it starts with "Your hatred for Farage is blinding you." Are you hoping to actually hold this up as a matter of fact?

"The dossier confirms this. Therefore the decision to get rid of him was made for political reasons and not financial reasons. "

These are financial reasons. It's a bank. All of its reasons boil down to money, even the decision to be an "inclusive organisation" (see: DEI and ESG) It has been known he banks there since at least 2019.

"He was meeting the EC requirements, no issue there, the dossier confirms this"

Except it did note issues, namely that his EC requirement won't be met when the mortgage is done.

• Advertisement

I'm not asking for a should, I'm asking for a Yes or a No. Does UK law entitle you to a posh high-street boutique business account?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,714 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There are many other people in the public eye of all political persuasions who have also been debanked for their views

Sure there are.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Shoog

When it happens to Corbyn then we can talk, but it wont because he is not considered a reputation risk with the bank he uses.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Seriously?

You need examples of where Farage was deliberately provocative in the media in order to get media attention and cause a stir?

That's up there with questioning the religion of the Pope and where Bears defecate.

I have no idea where Coutts specific tolerance line is but there are many many examples of where Farage has made public statement about something that has created a whole load of controversy.

The RNLI nonsense a few years back along with his stunts of going out in a boat into the channel to give a statement to video about immigration are ones that spring to mind without an exhaustive search.

I would have thought Farages offenses against Gin would qualify 😎

• Advertisement

I would actually imagine it wont change much at all. If you don't qualify you simply don't qualify and they are not going to stop doing risk assessments on their prominent clients because to not do so would actually be breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭nachouser

Another week or so and Farage should be good to go for a "Go Fund Me" appeal to help him in his crusade against the woke debankers who are clearly the greatest scourge to modern society as we know it. At last, arbitrage for all! Hurrah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

Excellent post Albert.

You don’t Barrage the Farage and not expect him to respond.

This thread topic more than any other displays the current motivations of the so called “woke mob” it can be summarised as follows:

Identity Politics over Merit

Partisanship over Principle

Virtue signalling over actual virtue.

it has also been hilarious to see how at each stage as this story developed from Nigel Farage’s initially speaking out to the resignation of Peter Flavel how further entrenched certain posters positions became. They simply cannot acknowledge that they are wrong and keep repeating the same narrative like a braying donkey.

I don't think that understanding a set of circumstances equates to supporting Coutts. Coutts can go bankrupt for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Most of Farage's fellow travellers are (ageing) racists, bigots and xenophobes. The idea that they are deeply concerned with ideas like 'merit', 'principle' and 'virtue' is rather amusing.

Sunak almost certainly despises Farage, but in equal measure seems to be terrified of him and his voting base.

The idea that a bank attacks my man means they must be evil is a bit pathetic really. Coutts is just another capitalist business looking after its bottom line. The mistake they made here was giving a low life an account in the first place. but I suppose he hadn't shown his true colours at that stage.

"15 million people voted for Brexit. How many of them have you met ?"

I have met a lot of them, been English by birth, and can confirm that most of them are aging racists. I can point to my own parents as perfect examples of the type.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

How come he has the likes of Andrew Neil, Ben Habib, Kate Hoey, Carole Malone, Julia Hartley Brewer, Dan Wootton etc defending him on Twitter?

It's noticeable that many other commentators are keeping their heads down and saying nothing, given that this is all supposed to be about 'right' and 'principle' and 'fair play' and so on.

I can accept that their history accounts for their racism but their still my parents and I excuse them for it. But you missed my point (how surprising) that they are absolutely typical of a whole demographic of middle england. I come from Leicester with a significant Asian population and many white pensioners who live in the county simply will not go into the city because they are so racist. they just about all love Farage and Johnson and this is why Farage can launch these campaigns.

England is a fairly hateful country when you know it well and that is why I no longer live there.

• Advertisement

You seem incapable of understanding what I am saying, but I will correct you on a few points.

I do not hate my parents, I simply see their racism.

Scotland voted to remain in the Brexit vote - which is why they are so pissed off that they were lied to in the independence referendum.

Wales has been extensively colonized by white middle class English people who just so happen to be commonly racist, the radicals who burnt out English holiday cottages in the 70's were correct when they saw that they would lose control of their own country.

What makes you believe that been Labour supporter makes you magically less racist.

So a journalistic approach toward establishing what was actually going on along the English Channel is, according to you, sufficient grounds for a bank to cancel someone's bank account.

Can you see how absurd that sounds?

If that's not a clear infringement of freedom of speech, then I don't know what is.

So you do agree people shouldn't be allowed bank accounts due to their political ideals?

Well if it's a group on facebook we can be sure all of it's members are a) 100% bonafide real and unique persons and b) they are all actually affected in the way described, each and every one of them.

What are the requirements to join this facebook group by the way

Yes, you clearly do not know what infringement of freedom of speech is. A bank is not the Government, and their posh executive hand-holding business accounts are not utilities or a homogenous good or service.

And Nigel Farage is not debanked.

So you think he hasn't been allowed a bank account?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think constantly misrepresenting people's posts is banal and tedious at this point.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Hang on. I didn't say that. The poster I was replying to said this. That's what I was replying to.

The mistake they made here was giving a low life an account in the first place.

So, we have a poster saying that he shouldn't have been given a bank account in the first place (presumably because of his political views). Remember, unpaletable as Farage's views are, he has never been charged with a crime in relation to his views. So leaving aside Coutts, if that poster had their way, we are heading into dangerous territory where people can be refused a bank account based on their political beliefs.

Advertisement