Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nigel Farage is a proven racist and liar who's been specifically condemned for his use of the term because it's clearly in a racist manner. You know this and you're trying to deflect and play the both sides card.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Both sides card?

I'm not accusing Nigel Farage's detractors of being racists and antisemites, so no I'm not saying 'both sides' are guilty of x.

I've shown the word is in general use by CNN reporters and other people.

I think you know its thin evidence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So it's not a super-secret dogwhistle then. You've dropped that flimsy defence.

I said that Farage is an antisemite and I stand 100% by this. That you've responded by attempting to derail the thread suggests that you have no meaningful rebuttal.

Let's leave it there.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Codewords and dogwhistles. You haven't proven anything.

Like I said do you expect most people agree with your conclusion? Simple yes or no.

Here is what would happen if the general mass of people really believed Farage is antisemitic: he would be run out of public life like Oswald Mosley.

There is a huge difference between these kind of politically correct tripwires - where a person has used a word that could be a covert signal for a hidden prejudice - and what most people will accept as definitive proof.

This thread is a weird one since discussion of whether banks should be compiling dossiers on people and withdrawing services unilaterally based on political motives can barely take place since personal dislike of Farage himself is so strong and makes all discussion lopsided.

Post edited by growleaves on

Abuse of Farage is all that's left.

All the speculation and assertions about Coutts bank turned out to be either inaccurate or false. With that speculation thrown to the scrapheap, all we're seeing now is a ceaseless barrage of abuse against Farage.

Accusations of racism and anti-Semitism are merely asserted. On the anti-Semitism front, it's nice to see elements of the left exercised against it; that makes a change given how it's so rampant on the far-left (as well as the far-right). But there isn't a shred of evidence that Farage is anti-Semitic. The one example that Coutts bank did provide was rejected by the person (Grant Shapps) implicated in the alleged case.

Throwing around labels is so boring that most people either laugh or just ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

On his "uncomfortable hearing foreign languages on the train" comment - when asked would he feel uncomfortable when his German wife spoke he said "She doesn't talk on the train" and then when asked "What's the difference between a German and a Romanian?" he responded "You know the difference!!"

So he's fine with German immigrants apparently , but not Romanians.

At that point his press handler knowing how utterly awful it was, intervened and stopped the interview saying they'd run out of time..

Also , anyone saying that "Enoch Powell was right" is a racist , end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Shoog

The youth who offered to be Enoch Powell Chauffeur no less.

.... of course just to be clear Enoch Powell was no racist either.

Taking quotes out of context again.

Farage: "I was asked if a group of Romanian men moved in next door to you, would you be concerned?".

O'Brien: "What if a group of German children did? What's the difference?".

Farage: "You know what the difference is".

There's a clear and obvious difference between Romanian "men" and German "children".

And I think most people would be concerned if a large group of men of any nationality moved in next door.

I certainly would be.

Its not remotely obvious what the difference is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You learn something new every day..

Ukip leader Nigel Farage once acted as a chauffeur for the notorious Tory pariah Enoch Powell.

Mr Farage picked up the former Conservative MP in 1993 so he could deliver a speech in a crunch by-election.

The revelation comes after it emerged Mr Farage once pleaded with the radical anti-immigration politician to help him win a seat in Parliament.

But he's not a racist , no sir, not at all.

As I said.

And I think most people would be concerned if a large group of men of any nationality moved in next door.

O'Brien was talking about children, who would not pose the same risks as a group of men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭McFly85

The original quote as per the article is:

"But it is to say that any normal and fair-minded person would have a perfect right to be concerned if a group of Romanian people suddenly moved in next door."

So the idea that Farage was talking about a group of grown men literally that just happened to be from Romania, is nonsense. A group of Romanian people moving in next door could be a family, and Farage had no problem telling people to be concerned by it - and assuming someone to be a criminal based on their nationality and ethnicity is of course xenophobic and racist.

I think it's because he assumes that, deep down, everyone else is as hateful and bigoted as he is. It's also a nice reminder that the men's rights brigade are just as toxic.

Should people be denied access to banking services for having the wrong opinions? No

(Or rather 'Yes' if you are a proto-totalitarian liberal intellectual)

It was only two years ago that some boardsies were calling for protestors against mandatory vaccination in Canada to be shot dead. The Canadian Armed Forces refused to be deployed so Trudeau had to back off. A sad day for Irish liberals sitting in their pyjamas baying for blood.

Btw I think my milkman is a Russian agent, he keeps delivering the wrong milk. Very suspicious. Should I report him?

You're posting more guff you know full well is untrue. If rightists didn't do this, I wouldn't need to keep asking for proof.

Farage's lies have been debunked. Repeating them does not change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No one here has argued against that so its a bit of a red herring. No high street bank is discriminating based upon a persons opinions.

Coutts is not a high street bank and has a selection process.

The desire to confuse a high street service with a rich mans club is disengenious and really all that the Farage backers have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's widely accepted that farage is a racist and xenophobic, there are plenty of examples of it.

It's also widely accepted that he tries (and sometimes fails) to couch his language to try and avoid outright accusations.

If you support him, as a person, you are supporting a xenophobe and a racist, you need to be comfortable with that.

Proclaiming yourself a master debater does not make it so (especially when everyone realises you're just having to do the same hiding of racism and xenophobia to "debate properly").

I don't agree that businesses should be forced to do business with anyone provided those reasons for not doing business are legal, e.g. if farage actually lost his bank account, I would directly support him to get it back (provided it wasn't used for illegal activities). I don't support changing the laws to make it easier to launder money or receive payments from sanctioned individuals or nations, but that is down to the country to agree.

However, banks care for none of that, boutique banks care even less, they'll deal with the devil if it makes them money and they can do it legally, flexing the term legal as much as they can.

As said before, it's funny that farages return to media attention has been him destroying another part of the UK after the utter disaster of brexit. He really is a very selfish person (I'm not sure if he's stupid as well, I don't think he cares that he destroys things as long as he gets attention and some money out of it).

Wow so you’re right and the ADL etc. who deal with this stuff professionally, as subject matter experts they’re all wrong? Okay. “Human cargo”

• Advertisement

Maybe just maybe they actually believe the **** they spout.

Are the younger German males trans? What’s the difference

Why not? They still have penises. Penis panic?

Your defense is he’s not racist he’s sexist. Okay… 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

That's not really true though, we've got plenty of politicians and media personalities that likely wouldn't have been tolerated in public discourse a couple of decades ago. The reality is in certain countries, bigotry is often tolerated and even applauded. We're literally talking about a man who supported drownings of refugees.

And once again, it's worth pointing out that the only named banking that was refusing to provide services to Farage is one that the vast majority of people could not be a client of. Name some banks that the average person can join and I'll fully back him. But at the moment, the only evidence is elite banks are heavily discriminatory and have always been.

I would suspect rapid actually holds that view...

Coutt said they closed Farage's account because his balance had fallen below the minimum £1 million.

Then it was discovered there were files showing bank admitting he did meet 'commercial criteria' but views were "at odds" with "inclusivity".

Basically you're saying that he could have opened an account with another bank so he was not completely locked out of the financial system (true).

That's not good enough.

Proto-totalitarian institutions are testing the waters to see what they can get away with. Are we supposed to say "Oh well one bank can cancel people for having the wrong opinions but still plenty of consumer choice!"

If one bank does it, they could all do it - one by one. Bank defauls could also mean larger and larger monopolies as small banks are folded into bigger ones.

Many boardsies are hopelessly compromised because their own dictatorial instincts are so strong, and we saw this especially in the covid forum. They assume that if totalitarian structures are put in place, it will be controlled by people like them forever and "myogynists", "xenophobes" will be imprisoned, starved out or otherwise harmed.

Well that might happen or the nature of the regime could change at the moment it solidifies its unbreakable power and become some sort of anti-left dictatorship.

Ordinary people (without too much money or power) should be vigilant about institutions and the shady things they are doing behind the scenes.

Just to correct you on your detail. They said that once his Mortage was paid he would not meet their financial criteria - the point at which they would dump him. So his lack of funds were front and central to their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Do you think Coutts haven't done this since their inception? I imagine it changes with the times but I'd be amazed if they haven't removed customers because of reputational risk in the past. Ordinary banking services are what people are entitled to under law. Boutique wealth management is not normal banking services, they even offered him a bank account in their less prestigious service. So it's far from the crisis his fans are making it out to be.

Also one last note, regardless of the dossier, Coutts were perfectly within their rights to shut down his account. He did fall below the required amount in his account. At that point, this kind of bank does weigh up if it's worth having you as a customer.

As far as I understand it from what I've been read, Coutts said the "perceived risks" were weighed against the benefit of retention of remaining funds post-repayment of his mortgage were something they decided not to carry.

And these "perceived risks" were partly political, including gibberish about "inclusivity and purpose".

This is what the whole thing hinges on, and Coutts backed down and (eventually) offered to reinstate Farage's account and the BBC apologised for its reporting

Then it was discovered there were files showing bank admitting he did meet 'commercial criteria' but views were "at odds" with "inclusivity".

he doesn’t meet the criteria though according to the same document. Coutts doesn’t have to offer him a mortgage and he’s not bringing millions in as required. So..

• Advertisement

Tell that to the American Tourist who was beaten half to death by 14 years olds in Talbot street last week.

Advertisement