Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contractor charges

Options
  • 29-06-2023 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

How much are people paying to get slurry mixed and spread paid £50 an hour to get tank mixed would this be about average

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Mixing 70 euro an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

And every penny needed. The tractor here is light enough on juice but when mixing she is a thirsty savage

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I'd say the average is 80 to 100 an hour

Contractor agitators are animals to run

Well in fairness that's 70 in cash, my mixer man was never vat registered unless he is this year. But I usually give him cash on and off, so you could say he's probably 70 plus vat.

It's got a right jump this two years, but as said its all needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Mine is an nc3800. Three in the range, 3000, 3800, 4800. 160hp needed for the 4800 as far as I know. I have 125hp on the 3800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

Thanks for the replies seems I’m getting mixing done at a fair rate wouldn’t save that much with own pump as if plenty of water in tank can mix two tanks in 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

€30 an hour for fuel, €30 an hour for wages & then wear and tear on a tractor & machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,505 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Possibly best investment would be adding some bugs to the slurry. Easier to mix and better nutrient use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

I'm charging 100 euros call out for the first hour and 70 after that,absolutely hate doing it for hire as most lads in my area haven't enough water in there tanks and too much hay or silage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭50HX

Why the call out fee, never heard of this around here

There is an hours work included the call out fee. Lots don't charge it but some do and they are entitled. Especially for the mixing jobs that may only take an hour, with the hassle of putting on a mixer and then driving a journey to only do one hour, then back to the yard to change machines. Id try similar but then don't charge it if it turns into more than an hour.

End of the day there is a lot of diesel used travelling to small one off jobs and it's fair that should be payed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭50HX

Doubt that would wash where I am, unless they all did together.

Out of interest would the same apply for digger work?

Hard to know, I'm sure a discount is factored in for a job that takes a few days compared to a few hours.

And with that, the variation in different contractor charges may already include or exclude a travelling charge, that the farmer never cops, unless he looks an itemised bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I used t do a bit of Slurry for my neighbours gradually expanded, but gave it up as a balls of a job. You could not charge enough for the grief and hassle of it, along with the huge wear and tear on your tractor. It's the most punishing jobs you can put on a tractor.

Twine, plastic and netting in the tanks ends up getting wrapped up on the agitator. I even had half inch rebar wrap around it one time as some stupid idiot was using a length of bar to dip the level of the tank , ended up dropping it in and said nothing to no one.

Then if you get a wet spring or a lad that has far too many cattle in the shed for the tanks they get the brainwave of sucking out a few tanks of unagitated slurry to make room. Basically they are just removing the water. So when you go to agitate the agitator won't even go down into the tank as its a solid bank of turf.

That's what happened for my last time, the farmer was hopping around the yard expecting me to try and jam down the agitator into the solid lump, I told him where to go and left. He ended up having to get a jcb in to lift slats and dig out the dung to make room for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Simply because some small tanks you could mix in under 30 minutes and you could have spent more time driving to the job than mixing and also you could have to turn around and go home if there isn't enough water in the tank for mixing

I'm the same as over time you would be called to take 1 or 2 loads out in the spring to take the pressure off till the ground dries. Could have it done in 20 minutes

Advertisement