Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Carers Benefit/Carers Allowance

• 29-06-2023 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’ve read through old threads but didn’t find exactly what I was looking for.

my situation:

My mam was diagnosed with stomach cancer in December 2022. I left my job at the end of February (voluntarily) to care for her.

I have been supporting myself up until this point from savings/wages and I didn’t want to have to apply for state support. However, I am at a stage where I do need support over the next few months until my mam finishes Chemo treatment and recovers. (She has gone through 2 months of chemo and just recently had her stomach removed). Thankfully the surgery went well however more chemo will be required.

Having read through the CA & CB application forms, it mentions the person that I am caring for needs to be “incapacitated”.

I know of carers that are looking after people who are in far worse situations than my mam and I don’t think I would describe her as incapacitated as such. I cook her meals, upkeep the house and bring her to hospital/where she needs to go etc. However, thankfully she is independent enough to take showers, go to the toilet etc.

I suppose my query is that I don’t want to apply and just have it being a long drawn out process and then being told “no”. Nor do I expect to be entitled receive it if it rightly go to other carers more deserving.

However, I do need financial support. In addition to looking after my mam, I’m a single father and my daughter lives with me. My daughter was previously living with her mum however for her best interest I wanted her to live with me. I was previously paying her mum maintenance however I told her that I don’t want any money from her, I just want my daughter (nor could she afford to pay me anyway).

I had though that applying for Job Seekers would be a more suitable option however…..I can’t work at the moment so that may not be an option!

Would I be entitled to either CA/CB? Which is more suitable? I think I will also need to apply for SWA to assist in the meantime.

Sorry for the long post and I hope I'm making sense. I’ve worked all my life so it’s my first time being in this situation so it’s all a bit confusing! Maybe someone can give me some friendly advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

In order to qualify for carers benefit you need to have been working for at least 8 weeks out of the last 26 weeks. Were you?

When you left work in February you were entitled to apply for carers benefit.

You were entitled to carers leave from your job which means you could have had up to 104 weeks leave and would have been entitled to return to your position when the caring was over.

I think it’s probably too late to apply for the benefit now, and you’ve given your notice at work so the leave application is no longer relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Thanks for the reply.

I finished up on 22nd February and I had worked full time prior to that so I think I would qualify but I’m cutting it very tight?!

If that’s the case can I apply, would I be better to send in the application without supporting documents (medical report etc) in order to make sure it’s received in time or would that just delay things further?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Madd002

Awful hassle with them. Employees husband diagnosed after Christmas still hasnt received it after appeal. Another only got for 12 weeks as she couldn't provide letters from consultants showing appointments she on waiting list for numerous things, had cataracts in both eyes so she had to do all, she had to go back to work. After you left work you should have applied for JA as you are entitled to your stamps for 9 months, as you left voluntarily I think they make you wait 5 wks but in your case it wouldn't have happened due to the nature of your mothers illness. Apply for both and explain your Circumstances or go to citizens advice they will help or worst case contact minister Heather Humphreys. Or last last resort change your name to a foreign one and you'll get everything..!!

Sorry but you are totally incorrect about the SW entitlements and I feel I must correct this.

As the OP is caring for his mother full time he is not looking for or available for full time work and so is disqualified from a jobseekers payment.

Heather Humphries is not going to change the rules of Jobseekers because she can’t. It’s written into law, for one thing so she simply can’t.

It’s really not fair to advise a poster when you don’t know what you’re talking about and I think it’s very unkind.

There’s no point in sending it in without the GP filling it in as they won’t even look at it and they’ll send it back to you. How old is your child?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

My daughter is 11 (12 in September).

I don’t know if it’s relevant, but her mother is currently in receipt of the child benefit although that will have to change given she is now living with me.

If she had been under 7 you could have applied for lone parent payment and child benefit. You can apply for the child benefit anyway. Apply for both carers benefit and carers allowance.

Post edited by TooTired123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Madd002

Your post is very unkind, I was merely saying it's very hard to get carers in Ireland and actually feel sorry for him in this situation. See pic attached and yes I maybe wrong regarding entitlements but as he was previously working full time which I'm sure was for most of his adult life you would think he would be entitled to something.

See the good cause part the rest is only examples and it would be up to sw to make their decision.

Advertisement