Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable custom mass gainer shake blend?

Options
  • 29-06-2023 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

I am in my thirties, 80kg, and returning to strength training some years after injury, a lot of physio, and chronic pain.

In the past I experienced much progress supplementing my 3 non-powder high protein regular food meals with the gainer products from My Protein and Bulk Powders. This time I want to make my own blend so I can adjust what is in it and the flavour as I go. The ingredients of the different gainers available today are many and vary greatly and I would like to just get the basics ready for the next sale, which should be over the next few days unless that has changed? I can always add different things later as I learn what is worth trying and might work for me. I am mobile a lot so I want to use ingredients I can prep at home and that will keep throughout the day until I combine with water or milk (probably easier to not rely on having access to milk - or keeping fresh in a flask unless worth it). My first thought is a dry powder blend but I am open to non-dry or perishable ingredients if they are convenient, and I do not have to be at home to blend just before I eat etc.

MP: Impact Whey Protein - 5kg - Unflavoured, 2 x 100% Maltodextrin Carbs

BP: Pure Whey Protein - 5kg - Unflavoured, Maltodextrin 5kg

In terms of carbs, would it be worth replacing all or some of the Maltodextrin with oat powder/flour, or even regular oats from a supermarket I blend in my Ninja at home? I added my regular old fashioned breakfast oats (no intolerance) to some kind of protein shake years ago and it gave me a belly ache but it was probably just drinking a large amount of oats that had not been ground too fast. I am not strictly gluten free but I only eat the odd wholewheat wood fired pizza or burger bun as a treat as otherwise it is too likely to cause a similar issue that really screws up the day.

Is there anything else worth adding that would help with my progress and recovery and injury prevention? I am not going to ask for a research citation but I would prefer to only add supplements that are generally accepted to be beneficial to my goals and situation, maybe some creatine?

In terms of flavour depending, on the value I will either order some with the whey or get some vanilla, cacao/cocoa, etc flavouring from a local supermarket or maybe try blend some dark chocolate. What do you use?

Advertisement