Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer (Dublin) in the Civil Service 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PotatoMaster

That's also kinda what I'm worried about, i'm on a permnament CO position so i'm just kinda worried that even if I manage to pass the interview for EO i'd be giving up a position that seems good so far including the location and the staff here.

I guess I could first see if I even pass the interview and see what they offer as a department etc and then have another think. I guess i'm just scared of taking a leap into the unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yes transfer somewhere else - now be warned you could be waiting ages for a position to open up

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

A permanent EO position or a temporary CO position is surely a no brainer, you have to take the permanent job. Those of us who worked in the civil service pre 2008, can tell you if a recession hits or even a temporary recruitment embargo, the first to go are the TCOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

A no brainer when there's no child care / school in the equation. Best of luck @orla201 - Did you get Marlborough Street or Blanch?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭koifish

DCEDIY results are out. Missed the numerical by 1 point so that's me already out 💀 Very burnt out by these dreary tests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Puzzled why people all the people here who are TCOs and COs and want to stay in their office/department if they pass EO interview don't say it to their line manager/HEO/HR, if there are EO vacanicies there and you are doing a good job you should at least enquire?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Exactly, just say it to your manager after you pass the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I'd say it to them as soon as I heard I got an interview, what's the big secret everyone EO or above knows that most people want to advance their careers, you dont have to broadcast your personal bussiness to the whole office but use your noggin!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Shar!

Dept of Education and Department of Further and Higher Education currently share HR , no blended working policy in place due to disagreements (one wants 2 days in office and other wants 3 )

So currently its 2 days on site 3 WFH (but that depends on unit- some units ie Ministers office staff are on site 4 days

Flexi is allowed but only while in office

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭elfie123

Hi, no I haven’t been told in an official capacity but a couple of people here have replied and said 2 days on site. The office is just off o Connell street, so hopefully not too much of a commute for u? Defo worth taking up the permanent position!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 orla201

That is gas. Cause I was offered a CO position in DFHERIS last wk and rejected it cause I said I'd try again for CO in DFA. But then I got offered my EO place in Dept of Education a week later! Turns out if I take it I'll be in the same place 😅

Thanks so much for that info. I really duno what to do but I feel like I should give this opportunity a chance.

Not really a no brainer, I left my last job after 7 years because I've two kids under 4yrs and commuting just wasn't feasible for me anymore. Leaving at 7am and not home til near 7pm in the evening. I took a TCO job locally with DFA (with a large paycut and loss of job benefits) cause I wanted more flexibility with the kids while they were young, and to only be less than a 10min drive from home. I can drop my daughter to preschool every morning and then be in the office in 10mins. And I was so sorry I didn't make this change sooner!!

So leaving this new flexible lifestyle and quality of life to commute back to the City again and be running for trains at 7.30am is a right turn off!

Albeit it does have its many benefits. But the WFH is the one benefit making me consider it cause I'll still save on a daily commute which is my priority with the kids so young.

I did. Put in a request to stay and it was referred onto PAS. My team lead was so annoyed I didn't get placed in DFA where I'm currently working. She can't see the logic in it. She seems to think PAS have a quota of certain positions to fill, and only when those positions are filled they'll start looking into requests etc. But I duno if there's any truth in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ReillyMcGee

Does anyone know what questions they ask in the reference check. My current employer does not really give out references easily other than dates of employment and would you hire them again. Would that suffice or do they need more?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Liverzeb

most companies will only offer that information in references for legal reasons. As someone who has spent all my career in private sector I find reference requirements in CS a bit old school.

Try and get a line manager to give you a reference rather than through HR - they won't accept a letter of employment

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Em I'm pretty sure my CO PAS accepted a he worked here from this date to date kind of reference. They actually insisted on it, even though it was for 3 months during my career history

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I hope they accept statements because if I pass an interview on another eo comp that's on, my company ONLY give that, and my direct boss is in HR so won't go against policy 😅

It says in the EO booklet letters of employment are not accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 11 polpenloonep24

Don’t know what you all did before Covid? Oh wait majority went to the office every day.

• Advertisement

This is my situation aswel! I got offered the CO assignment and 5 days later got offered the EO. I had already decided I wasn't going to take the CO placement. I let the CO know I wasn't taking it and I'm giving the EO my decision tomorrow. (Which I'm still not 100% sure of)

Where did you get assigned? I was assigned to Department of Education but was really hoping to get Department of Foreign Affairs as I'm currently working here as a TCO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ThePenultimateWarrior

I've been assigned to the DSP for the CO role. Already have my start date. Still waiting on my Garda Vetting for the EO role, so I reckon my start date for the EO role won't be until after New Year's. So I'll do the CO role for a month or so, then move into the EO role.

Depending on how I get on in the CO role, and where I get assigned for the EO role, I may end up seeing if I can get a retention for the DSP. If I like it there. Or if I get assigned somewhere awful for the EO role. Guess I'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Haven't worked in the CS before, so don't really know much about the various departments. But I've seen quite a few people say that DSP and Revenue are nice places to work. What's DFA like?

I'm loving the DFA. But it's all about where you are placed and what interests you. A lot of new recruits into DFA are currently being placed in the social hub on the phones dealing with customers so I'm hearing mixed reviews about that. I was placed on an entitlement team working on passports when I started last May and since Aug have been working on Foreign Birth Registration which I find fascinating but that's cause I love genealogy so others mightn't enjoy it.

But it's defo a lovely place to work and the flexible working hours are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ThePenultimateWarrior

That's good to know. DFA sounds interesting. Still no idea where my EO assignment will be, but it's good to have some info on different departments in case I end up there. So far the only places I've heard negative things about are the Garda and NSSO. Although, I'm sure there are people in both those places who really enjoy them. Really depends on your personality/interests and the team you end up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 M1ntyPyth0n

My líne manager was asked by local HR to give me a rating based on performance and such. Back from leave, they sent it off today, so hopefully not long before news of a placement!

For those who joined departments with WfH policies, were you set up straight away or was there a delay period where you had to be in office every day while waiting for approval / equipment?

My vetting was completed on Nov 8th so assume they are now following up on my references. For those in the know would they normally be quick to tell you if they had a problem getting the refs or should I follow up withem by email after a week or two if I hear nothing back?

First experience of a public sector job application process so not sure of the protocols.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Findlay

Has anyone else been called for interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pip1414

Can I ask how long it took for your vetting to come through?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭koifish

You'll have a training period certainly where you'll have to be in the office. It depends on the department and training involved but some can take 1-2 months until you're granted WFH (plus it can depend on IT, resources etc.)

• Advertisement

Advertisement