Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity leave and new job

Options
  • 30-06-2023 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I have been offered a new job (contract yet to be signed) and i'm also planning on taking paternity leave at the end of July.

I'm in two minds about when to give my notice.

1. If I give my notice hypothetically today (30th June) I was going to ask to my last day be 11th August when my paternity leave ends but im worried that they might turn around and say "you've handed in your notice on the 30th so a month from now is 30th July" and i'm planning on going on Paternity leave on the 31st till the 11th.
    2. I hold off on saying anything and hand my months notice on the 11th July taking me to the 11th August.

The reason im tempted to go with the 1st option is it gives them a bit more time to get organised and if I go with option 2 it basically leaves me with 2 or so weeks before i'm off on paternity leave.

However if I go with option 2 I minimise the risk of them saying "no you're finishing on the 30th July" and miss out on paternity pay.

Hope this all makes sense, wanted to get peoples thoughts.

Advertisement