Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VM Hub 6 & Eero Pro 6E

Options
  • 30-06-2023 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a 1GB connection with VM. They sent out a Hub 6 today. I also have Eero Pro 6E x 3 and a TP Link AV600 currently not in use.

I've set everything up and turned off WiFi on the VM Hub. Moved around the eeros and now have 955MB, 650MB and 350MB down at various points around the house.

However, the connection seems to stall periodically. Are there any other settings I should be changing or applying in the Hub 6 or Eero to optimise the connection?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Thanatus

Hi,

Hope this helps you if you still have trouble.

First thing first, the hub 6 has a single 2.5gb Ethernet have you got that plugged into the Eero pro 6e's 2.5gb port? If not try doing so and see if the speeds improve. If yes then read what is under this. However the last point is relevant regardless so also read that.

Your mesh network with the 3 Eero Pro 6E is working as expected of a mesh network as for every jump along the mesh chain your bandwidth decreases by about half. So 1st Eero is at 955 then the second is 650 and third at 350 so a reduction of nearly half per jump. Mesh network will also cause increasing latency with each jump. One possible solution to improve things is to get an wired home plug with gigabit Ethernet ports and connect one to the furthest Eero Pro from the one connected to the Hub 6.

Sorry to say but your TP Link AV600 is also not going to help as the Ethernet port is limited to 100mbps speeds. TP Link are terrible for real world speed advertising on their products and tend to only advertise theoretical max speeds. The TL-PA7017P KIT from TP Link will likely do close to gigabit Ethernet speeds around 940mbps due to gigabit Ethernet limitations but could be less depending on the condition of wires in your wall.

Only other thing to mention is if you are using the Eero Pro 6E as the router and not with the Eero pro 6E in bridge mode you might want to consider giving Virgin media customer support a call and have them enable modem only option on the hub 6 and then enable the option in the hub 6 settings, If you have not done so already. But that is only if you have the Eero pro acting as a router and it won't really make a difference with the diminishing speed from the mesh network.

Advertisement