Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No display when i turn on my pc

Options
  • 01-07-2023 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

I have a pc that I built about 10 years ago.

When I power on the PC there is no display.

The monitor is definitely working as I connected it to another machine and it works.

I have tried the following troubleshooting techniques.

1.There is power on the monitor when I turn it on

2.I have placed the graphics card in another slot on the pc and it doesn't work

3.I have reseated the CMOS battery

4.I have reseated all the RAM

I'm thinking it's either the motherboard or the graphics card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If no other means to get picture, try blindly :

1.allow computer to start, type in your pass and hit enter, wait few sec

2.on keyboard hit WIN+R, rightaway type shutdown.exe /r /t 0 and hit enter

If computer goes through restart cycle, your PC has booted to windows and OK, just no graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭thebourke

that didnt work any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Have you access to another graphics card or onboard graphics? Or another machine to test the graphics card in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭thebourke

No onboard graphics card...i dont have another machine to test the graphics card..

this is the graphics card i have

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-hd-6670-2-gb.b5591

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Can you remember if on normal startup you would get pass prompt or screensaver - additional hit enter might be required before type password

you can test all those steps on computer that you have picture to get a feeling.

failure could mean:

your Windows did not loaded

mistake in keystroke sequence could lead to failure

typo mistake in command could lead to failure (no extra or missing spaces)

Your router should list all connected devices, access router from another computer or even phone browser, see if you can recognize your PC there

RDP from other computer to PC in question , providing RDP was enabled(disabled by default) , you know IP and your user account is local admin account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement