Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Menopause HRT

• 01-07-2023 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5 WildForest

Not sure which is the most appropriate forum for this question.

Qestion for ladies on HRT or going through menopause, as you will be the best informed. Wife is on HRT about a year with no period a little longer aged mid 40. Started peri-menopause earlier than normal but not unusual as seems to be hereditary. Didn't discuss contraception with GP. Currently using condoms. For those in a similar situation when did you stop using contraception? No blood tests done.

Comments

• For reference I am a woman aged 62. Got very heavy bleeding in later 40s-early 50s. Basically hormones failing to stop endometrium building up and dispatching in a nice balanced way. The heavy bleeding inevitably stops with menopause, so I think hysterectomy is mostly an overkill response unless other factors/risks are involved. So many gynae’s have resorted to this as a quick measure in the past.

Not a problem if it has to be done and all the ureter protection measures etc are duly done during surgery to protect kidneys. I had the fibroids etc, but git a Mirena Coil fitted during hysteroscopy which ensured the uterus lining was otherwise healthy but a bit overgrown. This coil prevented further growth and worked 100% for me, having been previously saturated through even maternity pads.

Sometimes though, with the Celtic genes for haemochromatosis, some Irish women actually benefit by this inconvenience and the disease only manifests after menopause unless genetically tested before that.

To me, broadly speaking, a coil is best option for all things at the moment, together with occasional ultrasound and of course breast check.

• As regards HRT, I am on smallest dose of Estradot patch, that saves me all the most overt symptoms, I simply don’t have the hot flushes any more. I am a mid sized woman. For vaginal dryness I use Vagifem which supplies a small added amount of estrogen locally just around the cervix. One a supplement that with any form of lubrication in as much addition as desired. The Vagifem should be applied on hours g to bed on a night where no disturbance of vagina takes place, to allow hormone to distribute properly.

Advertisement