Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reliable waterproof mortar mix?

Options
  • 02-07-2023 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

I have a garage built up off a dead flat slab, the walls (cavity blocks) look like they were built straight up off the slab with a sheet of dpc underneath. I don't understand why it was done in this way, makes zero sense to me as there's literally no rebate atall in it and the dpc in face acts as a way for water to penetrate and creep in underneath from outside when rain is sheeting in against said wall. I was thinking the only way out of it is to mix up and apply a bodgey fillet of waterproof cement and tank it in a sense to stop the ingress path.

anyone have a good mix recipe for that with sand/cement + ???

or am I better off buying a specific tanking premix of some kind (remember it's outdoors) or other thought was maybe even getting hold of some inside angle fillet ceramic tiling and going that way

any hints appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If my mental picture of this is correct, I'd consider taking a large diamond saw and use it to cut a 5-10mm deep grove into the slab on the outside right next to the blocks - would have to be angled in because of the saw not being able to cut flush vertically. Then I'd make a synthetic mortar from epoxy resin mixed with really dry sand and force that into the groove and up the wall a few cm as per your fillet idea. Some of the epoxy would wick out of the mix into the joint between the bottom of the block and slab and DPC and into the blocks.

There may be a commercial tanking product that would be cheaper and easier that I am not familliar with.

About 20 or so years ago I did an en-suite shower in polished black granite slabs. I got a black grout mix made by BAL, but instead of using water, I 'wet' it with epoxy resin. It has withstood the test of time and water admirably.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭bfclancy2

a lot of garages would be built this way, easier and quicker than two pours or doing the shuttering to give you that rebate, if the shed is rendered well on the outside you should have no issues

Advertisement