Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of RTE after Tubsgate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I can't see it happening tbh. I think they will let go of their international acquisitions first. And VMTV seem to have a good amount of sport I wonder how much they could take on.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think VM would need to improve the chances of anyone actually viewing their sports coverage if they went for HD of their Saorview coverage. It is appalling as it is impossible to see what is going on. That is very important for sports coverage.

I think RTÉ will be massively different. Looking at what's coming from them, I think people will look to see it split up into its constituent parts.

I disagree with the idea that you can split it across commercial lines and have it in the same organization. If this were the case RTÉ should just move to do that now.

Simply we sell advertising and sponsorship, but we have no access to programmes in any shape or form. We simple sell a product, if you are unhappy with the editorial at RTÉ we suggest you advertise elsewhere, but we point out that RTÉ programmes are the highest rate in the country.

No I don't think this will work or it might for a few years before some arguing that it is unworkable.

While I see the idea of putting "commercial services", such as RTÉ2 and 2fm, into a separate company, I rather they split it up between Irish Language & Children (into TG4), TV into Screen Ireland, Radio & Montrose into 2RN, Lyric & CO into National Concert Hall and a News and Current Affairs service meeting the needs of those services.

But it will be interesting to see the push back, I don't have hope for RTÉ's own strategy.

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

Should RTÉ Split (as I have outlined) the name conventions would not be hard to change

Television with FÍS ÉIREANN

FÍS 1 (RTÉ ONE)

FÍS 2 (RTÉ2)

television with TG4

4JR (RTÉjr | English Language Children's TV from TG4)

Television NMN (Nuacht na Mean | Media News)

NMN (replacing the RTÉ News Channel, News from FÍS and TG4, with a mix of European International news programming)

Radio with 2RN

2RN (replacing RTÉ Radio 1)

2FM

2OR (Replacing RTÉ Gold)

2XM

2PL (Replacing RTÉ Pulse)

Radio with TG4

RG4 (replacing RTÉ RnaG)

CULA4jr (Replacing RTÉ Radio Jr mix of Irish and English)

Radio RiRa (Replacing RTÉ Chill)

Radio with National Concert Hall

Lyric (Replacing RTÉ Lyric FM)

Radio with NMN

NMN Radio (Replacing RTÉ R1 Extra, News from 2RN, RG4 and Lyric, with a mix of European International news programming)

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

They should be no split in RTE, the idea of selling off RTE2 and RTE Radio2fm is bonkers, it doesn't make any sense, and the idea of moving out of Montrose is simply stupid, why? stay where you are. It will cost endless millions to setup shop somewhere else again.

• Whatever about RTE2, what does 2FM do that could be considered public service broadcasting? In 2019 for example €11.5 million was sunk into it. It should be closed down and the resultant vacant spectrum auctioned off IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ads cost a lot of money to make and broadcast. Why should companies pay for a second ad in Irish just for one channel that, no offence to TG4, hasn't got a fraction of RTE's viewership?

Everyone, bar a small number of some foreign nationals will understand an ad in English. Most Irish people won't understand an ad in their own language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tg4 is superior to rte and I can't speak Irish

Why no split, I haven't suggested selling RTÉ2 OR RTÉ2fm.

I have also not suggested moving out of Montrose, I have suggested that it should become the National Screen and Sound Studio, owned by 2RN (a current subsidiary of RTÉ).

I have sold nothing, and it would be up to 2RN if it might consider selling Montrose to move elsewhere in the country.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

It is a public service and RTÉ only provide TG4 with an hour of TV per day, An Nuacht and mainly repeats of their own Irish Lanugage shows with a few children's programmes thrown in. TG4 do not get any of the licence fee. There budget comes from the exchequre.

Also you find that TG4 don't take up those ads, though they are used for that purpose, Irish language ads are used across all levels.

I'd question the need for many of the PSAs on TV and Radio, regardless of language.

2FM was always supposed to be self-sustaining. RTÉ are funding the channel from the licence fee since 2011, failing to ever bring it back from public funding requirements.

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

Much of a muchness. I don't find anything interesting on either, or anything that I do find interesting that I can find anywhere else.

I'd argue that TG4 at the very least beats RTÉ2, which is devoid of any local programming outside of sport. And when you look at TG4 you realize they have no good reason not to have local programming on RTÉ2.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's just a better ran station , it's like rte is delaneys FAI and tg4 is the gaa , just run by better people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

Is that not the idea, RTE1 has mainly domestic, RTE2 a younger audience and and foreign programming.

Times change, RTÉ2/Network2 always had some domestic programming aimed a younger audience. The idea that you'd invest €25m on imports for RTÉ in an era when those types of programmes are ubiquitously available is killing the audience for RTÉ2 and its home produced programming. RTÉ should be trying to create something else and they can't even say ... but wait we moved it online ... look at the player originals... RTÉ's strategies are failing the era from which it was developed is now over time for something new and now is the time for that change.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yet public sector bodies are now obliged to have ads in Irish most people can't understand - and not just on TG4 either!

Scrap the cap!

Ridiculous box ticking exercise. Even more so when they google translate and get it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

The tax payer is spending a fortune on translations. What is more, it added unseen costs by causing delays in important information being released by government departments.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Really this is where An Coimisinéir Teanga comes in, nothing to do with the broadcasters at all.

I am not the strongest Irish speaker but have found the PSA translations to be dodgy and some of the pronunciation dodgier, but this really need to be put to the An Coimisinéir Teanga, they can't just make a rule and not follow through on the rule properly.

I'd also argue that many of the PSA even in English are largely pointless but also ineffective due to how they are produced. The ad people really need to re-think their strategies. Now it could be due to interference with the end product from the client but they should really point out how ineffective they all are.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Micheal Varadkar

Aren't all those psa's on the radio basically the government bailing out traditional media by the back door? Back in the 90s and 00s when radio was king, I don't recall much if any government advertising on the radio.

It seems that way alright. It'd be interesting to know who the top national advertisers are on Radio, and then to take a look at who are the top advertisers on local Radio. It helps them to increase their price for advertising due to the increase in competition from the PSAs.

Unfortunately Departments are taken as separate clients, TAM Ireland usually has a list and "The Government Of Ireland" is never one of the top TV advertisers.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might take the Irish language arguments elsewhere, thanks.

RTÉ's new direction approved by Board, to be presented to Staff, audience and stakeholders to be consulted. ENDS.

https://about.rte.ie/2023/11/08/update-a-new-direction-for-rte/

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gLazenby

It sounds like their new plan will be more wishy washy than the last one. They'll probably try and find a buyer for the RTE Guide again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The big thing is that TV as it is, is on the way out. None of the young people I know watch RTE or any TV station anymore.

That is fine but what about content, the platform doesn't really matter nowadays you are right, but linear still has a role in marketing weather we like it or not.

Also I know loads of older people in the same situation as the yuff. RTÉ isn't just about TV and Radio.

______

Yesterday

The TV licence is dead. They need to come up with something else.

Do you think young people will use RTÉ when they are forced to pay for? The funding of RTÉ is a side issue. RTÉ has been run into the ground, do you think that RTÉ should be the main recipients of the license fee or whatever funding model you adopt?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Advertisement