Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BUDGET 6" SCREEN ANDROID

Options
  • 02-07-2023 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Having been using Samsung phones for about 10 years I need to replace my Galaxy J3 with something of a similar screen size. As most of the present day phones are much in excess of this size I'm having difficulty finding something close to 6 inches with reasonable memory and at least 32G storage. Any suggestions except iPhone appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

how much are you willing to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

pixel 6a for €199 when porting in a sim from another network ( €10 tip up on prepay sim from eir will work. Phone comes network unlocked so if you are not on Vodafone don’t worry.

In store or online.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/google/pixel-6a.html?c_source=Google

Post edited by DopeTech on

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Budget between €150-200 if that's not being unrealistic

Then buy a eir prepay sim with a new number on it. Switch this new number to Vodafone and then insert your own sim into the pixel. Dispose of the other sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

Link is only to bill pay

for the offer you have to goto vodafone site yourself

Shop

Pay as you go phones

but does that vodafone trick work, thought they just cancel the order for no reson

They don’t cancel all the time. In store works 100% of the time.

Pixel 6a sounds good. Will see if it's what I want. Excellent spec.

Pixels are known for their quality camera software producing great results and stock android experience (no bloatware). You will get other phones from the likes of the xiaomi, oppo etc that may have faster charging or a higher refresh rate screen but the pixel would give a much cleaner experience and camera will be good for when you want to take a snap or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

I had a 3a and it would take 30seconds to take a picture

I factort reset it bit still the same, eventually i flashed it with much older software, rooted it and blocked updates to make it useable

Presume the 6a is okay speed wise, as i am thinking of getting 2 of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

Any other suggestions apart from the Pixel 6a? I too need to upgrade my J3 to a similar phone. What's the best Samsung prepaid phone for circa €150-€200?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

If you are with Tesco what about a Samsung Galaxy A04s for €99.99 or Samsung Galaxy A13 5g for €179.99. You will need a clubcard to get them at those prices. They are locked to Tesco. You can get the Samsung A04s unlocked in Argos in NI for £139.99, the A13 is not available but they have an A14 for £179.99. Try Harvey Norman here if you want an unlocked phone. I have the older 4g version of the A13, got it in Argos here a year ago and it hasn't had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

Thanks Dr Karl. Yeah I was looking at the A04s. They seem really good value with plenty of storage. The only thing that puts me off is the 6.5 inch screen. I love my J3 mainly because of the 5 inch screen. Are there any good Samsung prepaid phones available nowadays with a screen size below 6 inches?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

I don't think Samsung do a 5 inch screen any more. Tesco have an Alcatel 5 inch for €39.99 with the Clubcard, but it only has 16gb storage and Android Go. But it does have a charger. I got an earlier version of this a few years ago, the only difference is the one I got only had 8gb. If you have a lot of apps it will be slow. Alcatel phones seems to be part of TCL. I now only use it as a back up, mainly to listen to radio online. The Samsungs are probably better value, my one didn't include a charger so you may have to buy one separately. Tesco currently have some OtterBox fast chargers on special offer, but check the connection I think they are USB-C. Here is a link to the Alcatel

Post edited by Dr Karl on

Advertisement