Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Musicrules

At least you waited for the match to finish to do your gotcha this time. 😂 The last one backfired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Novak is the GOAT. Alcarez could be a challenger in the future but he could be the new Fed, the new Nadal could come in a few years and then the new Novak to set up another great era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Was great to see Alcaraz go straight to his family and mentors after the game finished then acknowledged the Djokovic camp. Really classy young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Well known for it. Sure didn’t he lose loads of matches? Folderer I used to call him. Ah, here’s me bus.

• Advertisement

A good way of determining how stupid one is is how much they use the word 'bottler'.

Sometimes one player/s is better than the other on the day. No one "bottled" anything.

Despise that word.

Linear projection - the error of presuming that future change will be a simple and steady extension of past trends.

What a joy to be able to watch such an extraordinary match. Until the end of the second set I was guilty of the above delusion, unable to see how Djokovic could be beaten.

It really didn't.

I never predicted the outcome of that match, and I posted just as Jabeur had broken back for the second time to bring the set back on serve.

She never looked likely to win, but given she'd levelled the score in that set, you couldn't have known. I've seen less likely comebacks.

I really enjoyed reading through this thread, particularly the screeching u-turn by the poster who'd written the match off before it even got going (and doubled down later on in the game until it became clear they realised the error of their ways 🤣).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I’ll give you that. However when you hear of finalists throwing 2 set leads you lose hope. That set 6-1, really looked ominous

• Advertisement

I had never seen Alcaraz play and it did look like another bottler (like the Greek guy & someone else who messed up a 2 set lead over the Serb)

I too believed that once Alcaraz allowed him back in on set 4 it was game up, yet again

Here we go again. So today I’ve been called idiotic & now stupid. Do people really need to hurl such insults?

Is this the year of the drop shot at Wimbledon? All four singles finalists were expert at it but Alcaraz was in another league.

So you'd never seen him play but you wrote him off after less than 15 mins?

That says all we need to know, tbh - maybe you should spend more time actually watching and learning a bit about sports than spouting ridiculous knee-jerk opinions online.

My ignore list beckons.

I

oh no please don’t ignore me. How will I cope?

I watched Tennis for many years. So what if I thought Alcaraz was just another Tsitsipas etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭tiegan

Thoroughly enjoyed the two weeks of play, but this thread is the gift that keeps on giving, highly entertaining!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Course he could , any sports person could. Anything to suggest he is? Answer is no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Delighted Alcaraz won. Mens tennis really needed that outcome as, Djokovic has been too dominant with next to no opposition in the last few years( outside of Nadal at FO).Finally he has a genuine challenger. It was hugely important for Alcaraz to come through especially in the way the match panned out, like most on here I feared the worst after the first set, but, Alcaraz showed great composure to get back in the match and turn things around, and even when Djokovic won the 4th, Alcaraz still held his nerve and showed no real signs of nerves when serving it out. Djokovic started to look his age for the first time, I suppose he's used to opponents folding once he gets on top as he did in the 4th, so wasn't prepared for Alcaraz to put it up to him in the 5th. He tried every trick in the book, the slow serving was an absolute joke, constant yabbering with the crowd, long toilet break, but it didn't work. I think him breaking the racket was him realising he wasn't going to win, at that point the match was up, Alcaraz had mentally broken Djokovic at that point.

There's been a lot of BS in the media about Djokovic playing better than ever, and his unforced errors being low, I think yesterday showed that while he's still playing at a high level he is still well past his prime. The unforced errors being low is because he's not under much pressure normally, but, yesterday they started to pile up as he was under pressure. Yesterday also showed why Djokovic is not liked, his constant gamesmanship throughout was very poor form, constant bickering with the crowd and even in his speech he couldn't resist a dig at Federer. Ironic that he ended in tears considering his gesture to the crowd earlier in the week.

Alcaraz is a breath of fresh air, has a nice style of play, isn't waiting for the opponent to make a mistake but, will go for a winner if it's there. I hope someone comes along to challenge him in the next few years, as having proper rivalries is what makes the sport. Djokovic hasn't gone away and will likely win a few slams yet, but, he's in decline, so important that at least 1 or 2 others emerge or step up to challenge Alcaraz in the next few years. All said and done, it was a great day for tennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yesterday truly was a gladiatorial final and a good day for mens tennis. Whilst the outcome could have gone either way, what was notable was you could see that Alcaraz believed he could defeat Djokovic, that he was there for the taking. And Djokovic knew it too, that's why he was losing his cool & messing about. Carlos still had to deliver but he had the core belief. That psychological barrier is what has held many back against Novak, Nadal, Federer and Williams in the past. They might have had the skills but were overcome by the dominant personality on the other side of the court in big games.

I felt compelled to repost this.

Suffice to say, the last 24 hours has done nothing to change my opinion!

intelligent and articulate. While I realise don’t belong on this thread I’m glad I popped back to read this. Bye all & thanks to those of you who are courteous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

Djokovic also helped lay out a blueprint that every other tennis player should be taking a leaf out of. As I mentioned earlier, his antics with the crowd are what cost him. But his slow serving was a brilliant tactic in not letting Alcaraz get into his rhythm and is something others on tour really need to take note of when playing him.

Unfortunately I get the sense from most of this younger generation that they would prefer to lose and be liked than win and be unliked. Novak was very different in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Djokovic is desperate to be liked though. It clearly bothers him that the crowd are against him practically all of the time and he was never loved liked Federer or Nadal were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Did you see the stats they put up on screen at one point in the match on Djokovic?

They picked a number of game key indicators - about 4 or 5 I think - throughout the tournament he was at an 8 on this scale. At the final he was down to a 6- essentially a 25% reduction in performance.

His unforced errors were off the scale. Was he alright I wonder on the day? Like did he have a dicky tummy or something that impacted his performance?

Not taking away from Carlos’ victory at all - he’s an incredible player either way- but did feel Djokovic wasn’t completely on form

I was convinced at the start of the 5th set that Djokovic would ramp it up a gear but it never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It's a weakness in Djokovics mental game

You cannot fight the crowd and benefit from it, you have to win them

Maybe Fed understood this or was he just a nicer guy

Advertisement