Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Developer - CV Help

• 05-07-2023 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for a new role in Software Development and have 12 years experience mainly in Java. I have not updated the CV in quite a while though.

I am just looking for advice or some general rule of thumb.

Should I stick to strictly one page + unique cover letter for each role or can the CV be two pages.

My last CV had a structure of

• Name, Address, Contact
    • Professional Summary
    • Experience
    • Education
    • Skills & Tools (subdivided into two topics of each one)
    • Certifications

I am wondering is there a better flow on how to structure. I am thinking Certifications should be perhaps higher to make it more prominent as it offers credence that I have knowledge in Java for example (one of my certs).

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Overall your CV structure is fine. I might move Education to before Certs to tie in more with it. I'd favour a 2-page CV rather than a one pager, with space being given to Work experience, tailored to the job you are applying for. Areas such as Education, can then be cut to a minimum if space needed, given 12 years of Dev work. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Good point that makes sense. Thank you very much.

Advertisement