Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home, Old pay as you go meter

Options
  • 05-07-2023 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

I've just gone Sale Agreed on a lovely home but I noticed it has a pay as you go card meter for the electricity. (Its oil central heating though).

I would prefer to be on a bill pay meter and was wondering if anyone has done this switch and the steps and costs involved.

The only information given on the Electric Ireland website is :

"Please call us on 1800 372 372 and we’ll arrange to remove the Pay As You Go meter" which tells me F all about what actually happens and if there are costs involved.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Same recently. Just rang new desired supplier and they sorted it. No one needed to come out to do anything physical. Old Payg panel and keypad still here, but disconnected from the actual meter. No associated costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

Op I came across similar recently and the home owner contacted either Electric Ireland or the electricity supply company who installed the pay-as-you-go meter, explained they don't want it etc. That company after few weeks sent out an electrician who removed the meter and left it as original. I think it was the pay-as-you-go meter company who sorted it out for them when they phoned them.

Best to ring either yourself and query for removal, it definitely is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pihjin

Thanks so much for your answers folks.

Electric Ireland have told me they'll replace it for a Smart Meter free of charge.

Advertisement