Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,864 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There is one newspaper in Perth - The West Australian. It is heavily funded by the AFL teams so they get the majority of the headlines. Cricket is also extremely popular meaning The Ashes grabs a lot of column inches. Football doesn't register with the paper unless there's a scandal of some sort or a freak win for a national side. That goes for men's and women's, it's nothing to do with this World Cup specifically. Perth Glory, the sole professional football team in Western Australia, have very little written about them across an entire season. There is also no dedicated full time football journalist in the whole state. For context, I've lived here for 17 years and do freelance media work around football, not a chance I could ever do it full time.

The same goes for television by the way, football simply does not register with the mainstream media which is why no free to air channel bought the rights for the tournament. And why the domestic leagues are hidden on secondary channels for the few games that are shown outside a subscription model. That's despite the sport having the highest participation rate in the country, with women's football the fastest growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,422 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its rare to see players not immediately backing the manager while still with games to play, so rare that you have to wonder why they gave the response they did. Occams razor says its because there is an issue there behind closed doors, and considering her past it isn't hard to guess what it might be.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Bit like the Dublin goal yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

3-0 to Japan at half time.

Just noticed on FIFA’s website that tomorrow’s Group E fixtures - Vietnam v Netherlands & Portugal v USA are not being televised on RTÉ. Is that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

They are showing both games according to this

I feel a bit conflicted about the Ireland game because I'd like to see them win a game but I've liked watching Nigeria and would like to see them go far, is it possible for them to lose and still qualify.

I’ve been impressed with Nigeria too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But given the lack of media coverage how is the tournament being received on the ground by the locals, who traditionally may not be interested in soccer?

Is it making an impact at all, do many know it's even on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,864 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yes and no. The advertising in the run up to the tournament was terrible, you wouldn’t have known it was on unless you were into football. Now that it’s kicked off though, the bandwagon is in overdrive thanks in part to social media and some media outlets having no choice but to cover it given some of the storylines.

Attendances have been excellent in Australia thanks in large part to ex-pat ethnic communities. I went to Panama v Jamaica in Perth the other night and there was 16,000 at it and I was at the Ireland game here, 17,000 in horrendous weather midweek. Colombia v Morocco this Thursday is sold out (18,500 capacity). You’d be lucky to get 10,000 for a men’s A-League game at the same stadium so it has definitely captured the imagination now.

At professional level, football is way below other sports and at grassroots level it is very hard to get funding unless you share facilities with an AFL or cricket club. But an event like this definitely helps with growth and popularity. But if an AFL player sneezes, it will still be priority for the back page of the paper. That’s just how it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

It's been an interesting experiment to talk about the womens players in the same way my partner would talk about the mens players.

She's lost interest in watching matches now for some reason :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yes. If Canada beat Australia, then Nigeria are through even with a defeat. They would also qualify with a defeat if Australia beat Canada by a bigger margin.

2023 FIFA Women's World Cup - Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 15,892 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Come on the girls in green.

Awe that was a chance

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think Nigeria are giving us some space here when on the ball. I think that will suit us.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Much more attacking minded now the shackles are off.

Current Score in other match

Canada 0 - Australia 1

Nigeria don't look like a team that needs a result here. Ireland in control

Ms

Australia in the lead in the other game. They are top of the group now as it stands.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

We lack a decent consistent finisher or two upfront. Butchering decent chances here.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Raven_k42

Is it just me - or is Louise Quinn giving the ball away every time she gets it ??. Not our only one but we have to cut-out these unforced mistakes. They're doing well otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

Doing well.....pleaseeeee no simple mistakes....O'Sullivan is playing a blinder

Very enjoyable game. They are playing really well. Would be nice to get a goal before HT.

Australia score again

Ooohhh

Farrelly needs to improve

Australian second goal must have been disallowed as score back at 0-1

Edit: ref reviewed it and deemed it offside

Edit - Australia have scores again since last edit. 0-2 😂

While they are playing better, a few of them are just a few cents short of a full Euro at times..O'Sullivan, Farrelly, McCabe

I'd be having a few punts at that goalie...looks at sea at times

Ms

The girls played really good that first half. Hopefully they keep it up in the second half and at least get a draw or more. This is how they should have played for the last two games and we would have being going through to the next stage. Maybe in 4 years time. Where will the World Cup be held in four years time. Anyone know?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,956 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Following on 2FM, we are playing fantastic stuff I hear, creating loads of chances.

Advertisement