Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Stranger Things

Will follow along with Twitter etc.

Do feel like if the women had smaller goals and maybe smaller pitch dimensions the women’s game would be much improved and would do a lot for the women’s game but would not happen with equality being pushed

Good luck to the Irish, not sure how good we are but must be decent to be at a World Cup. COYGIG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

an Irish team have qualified for a World Cup. Hardly bandwagon jumping to be interested in that. I will definitely try to watch as many games as I can - a fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

This thread is a bit sad and predictable. I'll watch what I can. Enjoyed the Euros, some very good games.

I'm a life long fan of league of ireland soccer so can relate to a lot of this. Replace women with LOI in the replies and most of it rings true. Rushing to judgement without bothering to go and watch.

Both men's and women's leagues here are on the way up. But FAI needs to invest, particularly for the women if we want more World Cup appearances.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

What about those of us that have watched and find the game for too slow and the goalkeepers in particular very poor.

Not everyone is dismissing it without watching it. I just can't get into it and this is coming from a Bray Wanderers fan so I'm used to terrible football.

I agree with the other posters that suggested making the pitch and nets slighter smaller, this would improve the pace of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,246 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There isn’t the money to invest from the FAI. The LOI, woman’s football, every aspect of the domestic sport has been chronically underfunded and ignored for decades… to the point it’s going to take the best part of a billion ( yeh good luck attaining that ) to bring it up to scratch….

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Looking forward to it.

Hope we'll be spared the sound Irish fans trying desperately hard to show us all how sound they are this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

Hopefully the womens teams will be successful in getting parity of payment with the mens teams , it’s the least they deserve.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are you talking about the national team? If so, they have been getting paid the same as the men for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It's the least they deserve? So you think they should be getting more than the men's team? What ever happened to equality?!?

(I'm not really bothered, just a bit of devil's advocacy...) 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 38,255 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So will there be a 'Male version of World Cup hotties thread' for this World Cup ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

Just commented after looking at this headline…

“ Australia's Matildas release video statement calling out gender disparity in World Cup prize money “

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

From reports I've seen, the women's world cup prize money pool is around €100 million and the men's world cup prize money pool was €400 million. It's simple, the women's game doesn't generate the same revenue so they don't deserve the same pay

Canada and Australia are both ahead of Ireland in the betting and ability too so, gonna need some serious performances…..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,255 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Definitely

Hope its not a bit of a false dawn for us and doesn't turn into a bit of a disaster

Reports from the last friendly is that Columbia were miles ahead of us

Another worry is our form..

Drew with China...Lost to the US twice without scoring...Beat Zambia by a goal, lost 0-3 to France at home… all those games in the last 5 months or so… we’ve really no form…..

Denise O’Sullivan has an injury, Columbia did a number on her and other players in that closed door friendly that was abandoned so it’s unknown or not being admitted to how much football she’ll miss.

what is obvious is how truly awful a decision it was, by the Irish management to play an international friendly, especially against physical South American opposition just 6 days before the start of a World Cup….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Qualifying was a good achievement It doesn't really matter how well the team does and they're in a tough group so no shame if they get knocked out early.

All I'm hoping for from this tournament is that America don't win it, they are a thoroughly unlikable entitled group of whingers in my opinion. Some great players but impossible to warm to them as a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As long as they dont emulate the horrendous exploits of the womens rugby team it'll be an achievement.

An awful group they got drawn into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Last call for anyone who wants to join the sweepstake as first game kicks off at 8am our time tomorrow

Think there’s only 3 or 4 of us so far 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I hope the Aussies arent too rough on the Irish women or they might walk off the pitch again....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I've been watching their progress for some time now and have gone out to see them play in Tallaght. I'll be watching all the games and have just hung a Tricolour out of my upstairs front window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I just want to say that "Outbelieve" is such a horrendous slogan.

It is **** awful. The sort of shite that comes up in a brainstorming session and sounds brilliant for about 20 seconds before everybody realises that its actually just nauseating. Whatever marketing dumbass decided to run with it as the main slogan deserves to be shot and then sacked, if ever you wanted proof that the womens game is a half assed afterthought then look no further than that.

@[Deleted User] @Liam O @Darkglasses @Electric Nitwit @Cluedo Monopoly @taxAHcruel (plus daughters) @PsychoPete @Pwindedd @Shank Williams @TheProudHighway (plus daughter) @PTH2009 @JupiterKid @sekond (and daughter) @Stranger Things @optogirl @Barnaboy @Say Your Number @Fotish @Strumms @Jack Daw @pjohnson @Everlong1 @Rows Grower @Fr Tod Umptious @HildaOgdenx

I have added you all to the sweepstake as you have shown an interest in watching the games. I’ve also added the mods even though they might not be watching, they have to monitor this thread so are involved. There was a pitiful 3 of us who signed up to it so…..er, yeah. You’re included cos we needed you 😂

Oh, and those who mentioned their daughters - those girls have their own team too 🙂

I’ll post up who you’ve got shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Don't do that I've no interest in this tournament.

Take me off your list.

@AlmightyCushion you want Fr Tod’s spot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Is my name there as I said I'd do it?

Or am I one of the pitiful 3?

You’re one of the 3 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Go for it Strawbs 🙂

Just give me someone good 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

I wish the women’s team the very best of luck in the World Cup. But… l do wish that RTE stopped trying to present it as Italia 90. It’s not. And a lot of men won’t watch it. That might not be a fashionable thing to say, but there you go, l do think however it will get a lot of young girls interested in sport which can only be good

Advertisement