Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McCabe comments where all picked up , they where heard & the story was out there , ,

Pauw's done right she's the manger, she should be respected, McCabe was the one showing disrespect

Batty & Le Saux happened 29 year ago now & the manger Ray Hardford lost his job a month later because he didn't deal with it properly & the lost the dressing room ,

End of the day Pauw should not have to deal with an issue like this caused by her captain,

Katie is about Katie that's it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

But that's to ignore the point made in my post - that the 1924 Olympics was a de facto World Cup, so no, it didn't take the men from 1882 until 1990 to reach the World Cup.

And I don't know why you think it's relevant either really. It seems petty point scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Choochtown

"McCabe comments where all picked up"

I don't think that's true. Where are you getting this from? Have you a link? Did you hear her?

Things are roared and shouted every minute on a football field. For a manager to throw fuel on the fire is amateurish at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

She rather clearly sarcastically clapped when Farrelly won a free, commentator even picked up on it

I think you'll find that's a dig at the ref and not her teammate. Actually could be interpreted as support for her teammate.

• Advertisement

Commentator thought it was at the Nigerian right back, it was clearly directed at a player.

Look its all opinions, I don't think she should have done what she did, and it was obvious enough a question was asked in the press conference.

From day one in this tournament it's appeared she thinks she is better than the vast majority of the team (even the shooting from corners is a bit much, goal aside.)

It is a captains job to raise other players up not put them down. Also don't think Pauw dealt with it great, but maybe she's just fed up with McCabe at this point.

The tweet was incredibly childish

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

At the time the commentator said she appealed for 'fresh legs here', I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Who is in trouble when managers lose the dressing room? The manager.

The manager was asked the question because on the 70th minute McCabe she was been & heard talking to the manger, Pauw was asked about it she didn't bring it up herself ,

There is no defending McCabe she's supposed to be captain

Also on the pitch after the final whistle of the Canada game Pauw walked up behind McCabe & put a consoling hand on her shoulder only for it to be shrugged off , McCabe is a dose

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Maybe there was an issue with the new Irish players keeping out regular swuad players who got Ireland to world cup

That's a hard call to accept for amateur players, your friends left out for strangers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Turned down invites to World Cups in 1930 and 1950 as well. If we'd actually accepted those 'freebies' then I'd fail to see what difference it would make to our overall record.

But yeah, really not sure what point Francie is trying to make. Is it that the WNT is ahead of the MNT on the one metric of qualifying at an earlier stage of development? Seems an arbitrary enough hill to fight on really. Could be petty and argue that they are still behind on other key metrics, like winning a game, getting out of a group, qualifying before it got expanded to 32 teams, qualifying for a Euros. Or alternatively just be happy they qualified and hope it's the start of a run of qualification for WCs and Euros in the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

I'm not defending McCabe here. Just stating that it's not particularly unusual at elite level for a player who plays on the edge to lack a bit of decorum when communicating a point in the heat of battle.

Where decorum and tact is needed and expected is in a press conference.

To bring up another player's name (especially given the backstory of this particular player) shows neither decorum nor tact.

It's Pauw who has created this story. Maybe intentionally, maybe not.

Was Mccabe tweet not before the press conference?

What tweet? All she has tweeted is herself with a teammate and an emoji.

I think both were after the press conference

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

The very team itself are in trouble. If mccabe and senior players are allowed to run pauw for no fair reason than they will struggle to get another quality manager to replace pauw.

Colin Bell was also disliked and publicly rebuked for bascially favouring foreign based players and youth.

Seems to be a real self entitlement among some players in the squad

You said the comments were "all picked up"

They weren't at all. That's why Pauw was asked the questions.

Pauw then proceeded to throw her captain out to dry.

Fair enough, in that case both in the wrong for me.

Interesting how this plays out

The point was made in answer to those who demean the progress made by the Irish women's team in world rankings. They compare favourably in my opinion.

Fairly obvious I would have thought.

I don't think getting to the 1924 Olympics counts as similar to 'qualifying' for a World Cup TBH. They entered the Olympics, there was no qualifying tournament to get there AFAIK.

Your simply incorrect

The question asked to Pauw from Dave Kelly post game was : Katie McCabe was quite vociferous in trying to get some changes made , so why did you hold off,

So she was heard , McCabe is totally in the wrong & should be stripped of the armband,

You simply didn't hear the interview or are lying to say Pauw created the story, She was asked about it , The using of the word " vociferous " from Dave Kelly tells you all you need to know

• Advertisement

My point is that what she said (her actual words) were not heard.

Sinead Farrelly was not in the conversation until Pauw broke rank. Pauw is supposed to be the manager and on the side of her players. She should defend them and shield them from the media. Now she could well have formed or widened cracks in relationships within the team.

Have any players spoken against Pauw in a press conference?

We now have a full-blown story. Over what? A player getting worked up during a match. It's pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

Fine, but that’s not actually happened , is it ?

The incident happened on live TV in the middle of a football match.

Pauw and her assistant coaches have all the statistics at their fingertips , they know how much ground each

player has covered, they know their fitness levels, surely they are in the best position to

decide on who should be substituted .

If Vera Pauw wanted to intentionally burst Katie McCabe's bubble or create some negative feelings towards her with her throwing fuel on the embers in that press conference, I think judging by the comments here since the press conference she has done exactly that.

A selection of the delightful comments about our captain on this thread only since the press conference. (There's loads more on Twitter.)

too much ego on show

McCabe has clearly got too big for her boots by trying to get a team mate subbed. A touch of Keane's arrogance, I fear.

one of the most overrated soccer players,

Over inflated ego

What an arrogant toe rag

so far up her own hole it's become embarrassing

she can say anything she likes without the fear of anyone questioning her and if someone does she's just use the sexism card.

the hysteria about McCabe might be getting to her head.

If it was the mans game she'd be rightly called out for toxic behaviour

McCabes priorities are really 1. Katie, 2. Ireland.

I'd say shes absolutely delighted she was the only scorer.

Katie is about Katie that's it

McCabe is a dose

should be stripped of the armband,

Listened to Pauw's comments there on Claire Byrne radio show.

Perfectly reasonable response.

As she says, a player can say anything they want and McCabe said 'you need to freshen things up', and a manager makes the decision.

In this case the manager's decision was to leave things as they were.

Not seeing a problem only that manufactured by those needing controversy.

Apart from your first sentence, I'd agree with all of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

But it was you who brought up the idea of "from 1882 to 1990", emphasising the length of time before qualification, even though there wasn't actually a qualification tournament until 1934. You're being very arbitrary in your timelines here to try stretch a point that just doesn't need to be made.

Any comments like "At least the women's team qualified which is more than the men could do" or similar are all nonsense.

I think it is your understanding of the original post that is arbitary, wilfully or otherwise.

Here it is again.

Agree. The men had 100 years (1882) of playing international soccer behind them (Fact) before they even got to a World Cup in 1990.(Fact)

The women have been playing competitive international soccer since 1982. (Fact)

Perspective required. (Fact)

Its over McCabe being a poor captain,

What McCabe said was heard by Dave Kelly & many other's ,McCabe over stepped her station end of story ,

What is your opinion of McCabe shrugging of Pauw consoling hand in the Canada game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Working this one out in my head.

Haiti v Denmark & England v China

Haiti win then tie with Denmark so they’d need a big score difference.

Denmark win, China win - top 3 teams decided on goal difference.

England win, Denmark win they both go through

Have I got it right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

To be fair it's a select few msyogenists with most of the negative comments. Fcuk the begrudgers 🙂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement