Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feed on weanlings or sell

Options
  • 06-07-2023 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

have charlois and a couple of lim bull weanling app 350 to 450 kgs in picture

what would they be worth app if I sold now or should I feed on another month or two ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

06-07-2023 7:46pm

have charlois and a couple of lim bull weanling app 350 to 450 kgs in picture 

what would they be worth app if I sold now or should I feed on another month or two ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would be inclined to sell. What age are they

Slava Ukrainii

Oldest nearest camera would be 12 months ap 440 kgs rest would be young and lighter

Oldest nearest camera would be 12 months ap 440 kgs rest would be young and lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sell. Best choice Or squeeze and keep longer imo

• Advertisement

What sorta money would they be worth atm roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When they're 12 months it gives feeders less than four months to finish as bulls.

If the 350 kg lad is up on 12 months I would squeeze as @charolais0153 said if keeping.

If you can get 3/kg for the heavier lad I be selling him

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭50HX

They would have made in Gortatlea last nite

Bar the fresian that made 400 odd euro at 330kg

What possess some people to bring a beast like that to an e&u grade sale I'll never know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

The cheapest cattle I ever buy in Gortatlea is at the E/U sales. No-one wants the R grade, or even the U minus, at them sales so it’s a great night to be buying them lesser ones.

• Advertisement

The trade seems a bit more hit and miss if I got the heavier one to say 470/480kgs at 13-14 months would that leave finishers long enough? The rest would be last autumn born 350kgs plus so age might not factor in as much yet

True, before online came in, you could pick up nice heifer stock at 1a.m. beef farmers gone home for work in the mornin, jobbers had it to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

No, I didn’t even look at it online in case I would start bidding! I’ve a batch to get killed in the next month or so before I’ll start buying back again. As 50HX said it was really before the online took off that the real good value was there.

this is the heaviest lad still a bull would he be 470kgs ? He’s 12and. a half months only thing is I’m not quality assured would I be better to sell now or keep a month or two? they are getting meal. Thanks

If keeping as a bull you need to finish him

Otherwise I'd sell him now

Thanks was thinking he might be getting short on time if I was to sell they are getting meal what weight roughy do people think he is would he be 470kgs?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Buyer will only buy him to fatten as a bull and that's an iffy market, as has to be in factory by 16 months. I wouldn't and I suspect others also would not buy him to castrate as hes way too strong now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

He doesn’t have to be in the factory by 16 months just coz he’s a bull. There is a bonus alright for u16 but can kill up to 24 months without deduction. I’ve killed plenty over 24 months too this last couple of years too without any deduction.

I’d sell away if you need to sell them and wouldn’t worry about getting them to certain weights. Especially the heavier lad.

Id have no problem with that lad at 450kg. Graze him until November and hopefully get close to 100kg on him. Id be killing him next March/April.

Yea cavanjack might graze and meal the heavier one on a month get him over 500kgs

• Advertisement
Advertisement