Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Scottish safety initiative for motorcycles, PRIME

• 07-07-2023 8:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭

Just read this about a new Scottish safety initiative for bikes call PRIME. Looks like a good plan in that it's not a stick. But neither the article below or a a link in it which both claim to explain what the markings are do.

It looks like they are marking the road with the position you should take to make a corner safely but it's not clear. It would be good if our councils did something similar, but since they still use surface dressing it's a big ask.

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/primed-ride-new-motorcycle-road-markings-explained 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

Thats pretty good, especially for newer riders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Don't road markings reduce your road holding ability when you drive on them? I think the idea is well intentioned but dangerous. A properly trained rider with a bit of experience will instinctively adopt the best line through a bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

can't paint over potholes, pile of gravel and rows of steel manhood covers ( hello kilshane rd )

never work on our **** roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't think you are supposed to ride over then, you are supposed to ride between them.

How many bikers are properly trained? Both the UK and here only have compulsory Basic Training. From reading the article it seems like there where more untrained inexperienced riders than trained experienced riders on the roads to get such a massive safety improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Itineoman

Seen these on a recent trip and it’s very intuitive and makes sense -on their roads. It’s the line a sensible person would take in any case. The roads are generally very safe anyway. Couldn’t see it working over here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Yes, I fired that off to quickly without enough facts. I imagined it to be a line through the curve,but ow that I've seen that it is actually chevrons funelling the rider into the correct position I think that it makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 XT1200

If you need guide lines to drive/ride a motorcycle correctly, you should not be on the road. Proper training is more important. All the positioning in the world will not help you if you are riding too quickly.

That’s not quite what they are meant to do - they’re a bit like the road markings your see in France (Here ATM) that purposely slow you down by marking chicanes in villages. The ones in Scotland are there to discourage you from crossing the centreline on a blind bend on what would be considered a fast road at home. They make good sense in their own context and meant to keep you out of trouble ( or the front of an oncoming vehicle)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The point is trying to reduce the road kill in getting to

A properly trained rider with a bit of experience will instinctively adopt the best line through a bend.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Yes I agree and to be fair the markings do adopt a good line. The roads are so well designed in any case they are barely needed. As I said above it wouldn’t work here with the inconsistent surfaces, adverse camber, gravel on corners, cowshit, potholes and all the other stuff to be navigated. On a tangent the amount of entrances from houses, side roads etc in Ireland is so much more than in the UK or the Continent. Plus the stone walls and other hazards. I can ride in the UK and Europe and feel completely safe. Every time I head out at home I’m afraid I’ll finish up T-Boned on a boreen by a sixteen year old with a Silage Trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 XT1200

And what happens when the rider who is used to these line, comes to a road without them. He will have no idea what to do without someone telling him to slow down

A. They aren’t everywhere - saw them on maybe ten out of 1000 bends on the NC 500. They would have been helpful imho to those unfamiliar with the roads - It is a tourist route frequented by a lot of non UK traffic and very busy, and B. Common sense….. ?? Not getting into a debate on the Scottish road planners policy so I’m out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Breezin

As mentioned above, it'd be better to prioritise getting our councils to end the hugely irresponsible practice of loose surface dressing.

Post edited by Itineoman on

Advertisement