Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's World Cup 2023 - Girls in Green on Tour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

McCabe did a Steve Staunton - 30 years ago he scored from a corner direct v NI.

I think he did the same v Lituthania the same year - anyway as far as I am concerned McCabe did a 'Staunton'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

These are settling into it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Gilles at the back has terrible control - thankfully .....

Carusa shudda scored .............🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

My God it's absolutely pelting it down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ, absolutely atrocious goal to concede.

• Advertisement

FFS !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Easy come easy go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That was so unlucky.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I believe the technical term for that is "poxy goal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Canada do not deserve to be level

Incredible Irish performance. Just need to keep doing what they have been doing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The better team, unlucky not to be ahead. If we push up a bit on them the chances will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I would be worried now they could capitulate in the second half. Very nervy 45 minutes ahead now, we were playing so good before the equalizer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

George Hamilton remarks he hopes Canada's lack of a goal threat continues in the second half. Ironic in that Ireland are fairly toothless in that regards as well.

I think they were in protect lead mode. I'd hope for one or both of the midfielders to be more involved going forward now and maybe get Larkin on early.

Which I see has already happened and I missed when I reconnected after HT 😂

So poor

FFs part 2 ...........

Terrible defending there......

Looks like the massive physical effort of the high intensity first half hour really took it out of them. A lot of players a step too slow for that second goal.

We have to hope now Canada sit back and we nick one, I can't see us being able to lift it to the same energy levels are the first 15 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Canada beginning to look like their world ranking spot now.

• Advertisement

Yep, definitely stepping it up a notch.

Good cross there, poor enough header unfortunately

Think a lot of that is from our energy levels dropping. Slacking way off on the pressing and pressure we were doing first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Ireland have to be disappointed with their defence in this game. Canada are walking it in.

We are pushing bodies forward but it's leaving gaps at the back, we have to do it but they will hit us on the break, our recovery pace isn't the best.

McCabe is unreal

But this is so frustrating overall

Poor auld Katie feeling the pressure to do everything herself now.

Couple of players not at this level unfortunately

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They stepped it up and we weren't able for it. Their passing and movement was a notch above ours. Lucky to only lose by 1.

It will be interesting what the pundits say on RTE will they be honest? Or will they couch things softly?

IMO got a jammy goal, dominated second half, didn't get the second to kill the game, and completely folded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Toothless up front unfortunately, we never looked like getting a goal and Canada should have got a couple more.

There was a clear gulf in class on show today, especially when our energy levels dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Very frustrating when we were chasing a goal to see the ball given away almost immediately after winning it back. Sheva particularly guilty. Tried to rush everything too much. She gave the ball away nearly every time she got it.

McCabe very good but she took the wrong option a few too many times. She had options late on but took that 30 yard shot that went well over.

Very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't think Vera Pauw helped herself by bringing in the American players the way she did. They haven't added anything to the team either, we've actually been awful since qualifying.

Wonder will Pauw stay on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Canada look like a good team and always seem to be in the mix in this competition so it probably would have been more surprising if they didnt dominate a team like Ireland. Only the weather, freak first goal and great support had them in the mix.

The playacting and timewasting like in this game really puts me off football, in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Pauw has done a brilliant job. Never been within an asses roar of a world Cup before she came.

Like the men's team, the narrative will always be to question the manager, but it's a very limited team in the cold light of day.

Strange make up of the squad: If you thought the mens teams of the Charlton era were sometimes not 100% Irish 😂

Kyra Carusa -American born capped for US under23 , eligible in 2020 via irish Grandparents.

Lily Agg - English born under age up to u19 level - Only declared for Ireland in '22 , via Irish grandmother.

Ruesha Littlejohn - Scottish born and played u19 - Declared for Ireland in 2012 via Irish Scottish mother.

Marissa Sheva - American , Only declared for Ireland in Feb 23, due to maternal grandparents.

Sinead farrelly - American , capped at U15, up to U23 for USA - Then didnt play international football for 11 years until April 23 for Ireland.

Chloe Mustaki - Born in USA to Irish mother and French/Greek father - Diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma while Irish U19 captain - Called up for Senior team in 2019 - did her ACL in training , so only got her 1st cap in Feb 22 !!

Courtney Brosnan - Born in US - Played for Ireland U17 & U19 , Then Usa at U23 - before Senior call up for Ireland in 2020.

Aoife Mannion - English born to Irish parents - Played for England from U15 to U23 - Was called up for English Senior side but didnt play - Switched to Ireland in 2023 -Not brought to the World Cup.

• Advertisement

Needed a 2nd goal , didnt look like getting one.

Canada deserve the win i suppose... Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Disappointing 2nd half performance after a good 1st half. McCabe was our best player but tries to do too much at times. Really lacking in the forwards unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I'd argue it probably put alot of noses out of joint.

But each of the players mentioned there are better options than what we had before.

Brutal tough on those who helped in qualifying, but it's true.

Probably.

But McCabe aside, they are all fairly average - Sum of its parts etc .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Maybe they are individually but they haven't improved the team as a whole, we were better during qualifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

We just needed another 8 or 9 Katie McCabe's.

She was everywhere, including the tackle to try stop the winning goal. Challenge is on now to blood more like her, or do we fear that she is our "generational" star and that once she's gone, we regress?

I was hoping we'd get a spotter before half-time for the handball, that defender was all over the place. Already booked and if Carusa had been clever when she broke into the box, she could have won a penalty and got her sent off. No wonder she didn't appear for the second half! We brought on Barrett and then never once found her. As someone above said, Sheva had enough possession but just did nothing with it. I haven't seen Nigeria play, so no idea how we'll fare next time out. If there aren't any ranking points on the game (but there probably are?) Pauw should give the others a run out, and the experience that goes with it.

I would say it is Pauw's job for as long as she wants it. She qualified Ireland for a women's WC for the first time in their history. I could only see her leaving if she gets a better off elsewhere, or feels like she has had enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Disappointing not to take anything out of that. Record crowd for a women’s football match here and it was mostly Irish. The weather was atrocious and that dampened the atmosphere as much as anything else.

I was frustrated that they persisted with a back five at 2-1 down and didn’t commit more players go a high press. You could see some players felt the same with their gestures.

With that said, it was great to be there for a World Cup game and see a new iconic moment in Irish football.

Katie McCabe is a Roy Keane / Johnny Giles type player. Genuinely World Class.

Denise O’Sullivan didn’t manage to impact either game, which was disappointing

As for the other comments about bringing in players with eligibility to the squad - it’s a strange criticism when we looked short in a couple of positions and weren’t able to change things from the bench. Hard to say the coach has done much wrong when we’re going toe to toe with two of the top 10 sides in the world.

It’s just frustrating really, didn’t get much in the way of a bounce in either game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Yes, your point about players gesturing for the press was a good one. Vera's biggest failure is her conservatism (which strangely is also a strength). On the verge of going out of the WC, just push up and try to press them into mistakes - we were out as it stood so just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

The only hard team was Sweden. Most of their opponents were easy. Canada won the Olympic tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes, they should never have been allowed enter the world Cup with such a easy draw and only beating Scotland in Scotland. Every other team had hard draws of course.

Also the fact we have top notch facilties like what Oz and Canada have its a national embarrassment.

Finland was ahead of them in the rankings, as were Scotland at the outset of the qualification process.

Their results against Sweden were very credible.

Additionally, they have just gone toe to toe with two of the top 10 teams in the world. Yes they lost both games but were a kick here and there from a result in each.

Can’t be dealing with some of the reaction in here tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Time for Kenny to go

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jonnreeks

Well that's that!

Now play everyone else against Nigeria who haven't had any play time so far, which is only fair. The more experience the squad have at playing at this level and format will strengthen the squad going forward. Vera Pauw has tried her first choice who gave their all, so let others have their go!

😏

• Advertisement
Advertisement