Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's World Cup 2023 - Girls in Green on Tour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

19 players appeared in the tournament. One of them just a "token" sub though at the end, when she could have thrown on the other 2 non-keepers just so that they could say they played. McCabe is a class above all of the rest, that's why she looks at home at Arsenal. We have 6 players who are now without a club. In hindsight Canada were no great shakes, and that's where Pauw can be criticised, for rigidly sticking to a defensive formation when that game was potentially there for the taking. Having looked at a lot of the games, it would have been nice to have had an easier 4th seed than the top rated one too! I reckon we could have beaten one or two of the other sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

The contract decision is an interesting choice because I remember when Trap signed a new contract before Euro 2012 and that turned out to be a bad choice. Fairly sure something similar happened with the Irish Rugby team in 2007 also. I'm fairly content to wait until after the tournament before deciding to renew or not or a contract with a clause that allows removal after the tournament if a certain level of performance isn't reached.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the first substitution in the nigeria game didnt happen until 83 minutes when it was clear nigeria were happy to sit back. McCabe was totally correct for call for action off the bench and Pauws changes were too late, too conservative and too ineffectual.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nalsa

Travelled over for the WC, and have to say overwhelming feeling of disappointment. Nigeria showed Oz and Canada were beatable its unfortunate we didn't take our chances to do so - and I lay the blame squarely on Pauws shoulders.

For me, she has to go. Yes she did great to get us to the WC, there's respect there but her tactics were found completely wanting starting with the squad picked and then how games were managed. Kiernan call in particular n Finn were hard to fathom.

Watching Katie in that Nigeria match, smacked of a player full of complete and utter frustration. However, it's a team sport and as gd as Katie is and her performances for the first two games as has been said were nothing short of heroic, no player can be bigger than the team and no player can dictact to a manager what to do. That's a slippery slope. Even if everyone in the crowd was saying the same!

Hoping they do make a management change, and we can reset going into the nations league. This team is so capable, but their efforts need to be supported by sound tactics that can be tweaked when needed. And we need to play players in the positions they are most effective in - so many wrong decisions in this regard in the WC. But a great platform so onwards and upwards now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You can always let someone go early, but creating this type of vacuum leaves a manager vulnerable and lessons their authority. It seems to me the FAI is now penny pinching on senior manager contracts in direct opposition to our competitive goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Niall_76

McCabe played well but not Paul McGrath well. For me she doesn’t bring out the best in others around her, takes too much out of the ball a lot of the time and could really work on her shooting. Maybe that’s why she plays left wing back for club and country.

As captain she shouldn’t be at odds with her manager publicly but I think it’s been built up into something it’s not by the press.

I wouldn’t agree that the manager should get a new contract before the tournament. Has backfired a couple of times on the men’s side.

Hopefully getting to the finals will increases participation levels and the women’s game can develop as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jonnreeks

Who are the possible replacements for Vera Pauw? 😗

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Brian Kerr deserves a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You say that but the classic FAI move is to give a manager a contract for beyond the tournament, they can't win whatever they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Most associations do that

Giving Trapp a new contract wasn’t a mistake. It’s the cost of doing business

The new leadership is over correcting on this point.

Off GIG topic slightly, but this is how to do squad rotation. Sweden have played everybody bar their third keeper across their last two ties.

The manager has got to see everyone as he plots the downfall of the treble-chasing USA now.

I fancy them to knock them out as well.

I think results in other groups have shown that a lot of the so-called stronger nations have not been at the races in the group stage. Results of some of the other smaller nations and/or debutants just show up Vera's approach even more.

Our group was one we should've gone for. Nigeria did and they went through as a result of that. We didn't, we sat back extremely defensively apparently not worthy to have a go against Canada and Australia. And for what? A single point and an early flight home. At least if we had gone for it we may have pulled off a win against one of the teams. At worst we would've ended up with one point less.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jonnreeks

I reckon the girls would never stick him as he would never shut up talking..............sometimes a load of s___e! 😯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Last 16 Games on RTE and UK TV TBC

Saturday 5th August

Switzerland V Spain - (06:00) - Live on BBC One

Japan V Norway - (09:00) - Live on ITV1

Sunday 6th August

Netherlands V South Africa - (03:00) - Live on BBC One

Sweden V United States of America - (10:00) - Live on ITV1

Monday 7th August

England V Nigeria - (08:30) - Live on BBC One

Australia V Denmark - (11:30) - Live on BBC One

Tuesday 8th August

Colombia V Jamaica - (09:00) - Live on ITV1

France V Morocco - (12:00) - Live on BBC One

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The South Korea manager is ex Ireland manager Colin Bell that Pauw replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Laura James with an idiotic red cardfor England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Literally just found out that she is Reece James' sister 😲

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Some of the worst penalties you’d ever see from Nigeria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

And thats why men are paid more than women. The Sweden v USA penalty shootout was nuts.

Last 16 Results

Switzerland 1 V 5 Spain

Japan 3 V 1 Norway

Netherlands 2 V 0 South Africa

Sweden 0 V 0 United States of America AET - Sweden win on pens 5-4

England 0 V 0 Nigeria AET - England win on pens 4-2

Australia 2 V 0 Denmark

Colombia 1 V 0 Jamaica

France 4 V 0 Morocco

Quarter-Finals

Friday 11th August

Spain V Netherlands - (02:00) - Live on RTE / ITV

Japan V Sweden - (08:30) - Live on RTE / BBC

Saturday 12th August

Australia V France - (08:00) - Live on RTE / ITV

England V Colombia - (11:30) - Live on RTE / ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

This Oz France shootout is something else. Some really good pens, some bad ones and some really good saves.

Australia finally win it 7-6 after 10 pens each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cracker for Colombia against England! Well deserved too, been very good.

• Advertisement

Lol at the Colombian keeper, it's harder to do that than hold the ball

Such a sickner to concede like that after playing so well.

Sickener for the other players alright, actually looked dodgy to me

Ref doing Colombia no favours here… Colombia putting on all the pressure, an English player puts the ball out for a throw then runs away claiming an England ball, and the ref simply believes her, and all the pressure is relieved.

Quarter-Final Results

Spain 2 V 1 Netherlands

Japan 1 V 2 Sweden

Australia 0 V 0 France AET Australia win in pens 7-6

England 2 V 1 Colombia

Semi-finals

Tuesday 15th August - (09:00)

Spain V Sweden - Live on RTE / BBC

Wednesday 16th August - (11:00)

Australia V England - Live on RTE / BBC

• Advertisement

Really disappointing one, Colombia much the better team. England really poor, just got very very lucky with individual mistakes breaking in their favour. All the good football played by Colombia.

Semi-Final Results

Spain 2 V 1 Sweden

Australia 1 V 3 England

Third Place Play-off

Saturday 19th August - (09:00) - Live on RTE / ITV

Sweden V Australia

Final

Sunday 20th August - (11:00) - Live on RTE / BBC / ITV

Spain V England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Best 15 minutes of football I've seen in a while...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

That's a lovely strike, right in behind the post. Been some chances for Spain so no surprise they're ahead, despite England hitting the bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Sublime cross field pass and terrific finish to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Some goal. Spain playing very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That was a mad amount of time to look at the incident. That's as easy a handball as you'll get.

You just knew she'd miss with all that was going on before it. Huge lift for England.

English keeper seems to suffer from the same ailment as Pickford. Bit of a headcase.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yeah, a bit bizarre how long they took. Poor peno in the end, keeps it interesting anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

An awful penalty. Never understand how the main penalty taker in a team can make such a poor effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Surprised she got away with taking it in the first place. Ball was barely on the spot.

RTE commentators talking shite saying gamesmanship by Bronze

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Very harsh yellow card there.

This ref is atrocious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

The Mike Dean of womens refs. Loves the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Watching the ref looking at the Var and seeing herself 1 yard from the incident staring straight at it :)

Spanish team aren't very likeable. Diving and moaning

Thoroughly deserved for Spain. England were broadly terrible, didn't create much.

Final Result

Spain 1 V 0 England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

That's tough, Carmona's father died on Friday but she only found out today after the match.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/fifa-womens-world-cup/2023/0820/1400719-spains-hero-carmona-told-of-fathers-death-after-final/

• Advertisement

I'll go and have a look after, but in case someone knows - has the draw process for all big tournaments changed, or just this WC?

Usually, I thought, if you paired with another team in your group, you could not play them again until the final, e.g. Greece vs Portugal 2004.

I was looking back at the results and saw that England knocked out both Nigeria and Australia, which means they could have potentially met before the final.

I know it was mental in the group stages where Group A was over before Germany or Colombia had played their second round game.

I'll have to look back at the Qatar draw, but this seems off.

Advertisement