Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 6) Glasson (22th July @11:10am)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

Times will be changed today, we can't leave poor benny by himself, you might develop a complex 😢 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Well I be wearing shorts & sun cream.. It still amazes me how people obsess about the weather here.. The Sun always shines on Boards outings 😎

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wet legs probably more tolerable than wet trousers in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

I won’t make the captains playoff again anyway finished with a nett 77 and 74 normally the cut off …. So looking forward to ripping it up tomorrow hopefully !! 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Missed this, well observed Roadrunner 😉

Hope the weather holds for you all today, had hoped to make Glasson as it's long been on my list, always we'll spoken of.

Hopefully make Bunclody which is one of the best parklands in the country 🤞

Might be early for that one as they have a proper range before the first tee. Wouldn't hold my breath though as I've played there twice and yet to see the range 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Snackbox20

Just a few pics taken from the course today. Great golf course, lovely scenery, and a great four ball for company on the walk round. I'll be late with my post round analysis, but will have it soon. Congratulations to the winners today, fantastic rounds from @ballyk and @a post punk , congrats to @a post punk . See you all at Jurassic Park, I mean Bunclody

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

At my age, rust is an issue.

3 in 1 oil for me before bed tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Fair play to everyone who braved the elements yesterday in Glasson, the early starters in 3-balls definitely got the advantage and best of it weather wise.

For our group, second last out, in a 4-ball we got 9 holes of ok weather, but some extreme downpours on the back 9.

We did probably overall get away with it though, as once we were done the heavens opened and I don't think they've closed yet!

Great company on the course, break80, bakerbhoy and linorichie, with plenty of slagging and friendly abuse between the lads.

Break80 with a rough start, struggled getting the ball in the air all the way down the first, but turned it around well from there and put together a solid front 9. Struggled a bit when the weather turned on the back. Had a great birdie on the front as nice highlight to the day.

Linorichie had the inside knowledge and was able to give us a few lines on the day, which is a big help on a course with some blind landing zones and elevation changes (even if we did question a couple of those lines 😉). Nice steady golfer, strikes the irons well, can see why he's put together some nice results in the society. Nice bird on the NTP hole, great putt from about 12 feet or so.

Bakerbhoy is a very nice golfer. Tidy all round game. Got lost coming up the 10th to the point where we had to get the phone out and call him to see where he was. He'd taken the scenic route and we eventually saw a soaked man pop out under the trees. Short game was super, especially when in a very awkward positions. Made at least 4 outrageous up&downs for bad spots and lies on the day. Also made a nice birdie on the day for the 3 lads to all stick a birdie in, with me being the only one without a bird.

For me, I played steady solid golf, 34 points, 17 and 17, 81 strokes. Started poor with a 3-putt scratch. Came back from it ok with a couple of pars on the bounce.

Had 3 3-putts on the day, 1st, 13th and 14th. Caught the wrong side on the greens and you really needed to be in the right position on a lot of them.

Drove the ball well overall and struck the ball fairly well, couple of poor up and down attempts really the only difference between a solid round and a very good one.

Really enjoyed the course. It definitely would benefit from some insider knowledge and multiple plays. Would have been nice to play in better weather, and from the whites. Would be great to play the index 1 14th from the back tee on top of the hill. Greens were in very good condition and the place held up under the heavy rain very well. Serious practice facilities too with the range, simulator, and multiple chipping and putting greens.

... oh and those flies were little bast**ds

Great day out yesterday, really enjoyed it even if I had a miserable points total. Took me about 7 holes to wake up yesterday, and duffed my tee shots on the first 4 holes. 😬

Much better back 9, finishing par-par. Almost birdied the 18th, chip out of the bunker hit the flag but unfortunately bounced out and left me with a tap in. Would have been talking about that one for a while if it had stayed in 😅

Was in one of the early 3 balls so we were lucky to avoid heavy rain until about the 15th hole.

Nice course, agree with @spacecoyote though that you’d benefit from a second go round it, with all the blind dog legs there’s a few holes that are just hit it and hope you’re in a decent position. The flies can fcuk off though, at times they were annoying enough to put you off!

Went round with @pakman and @weapon of grass destruction , great lads, great craic. Some cracking golf from both of them.

Fair play to whoever got that longest drive, serious distance.

Very welcoming society, see yous in Bunclody!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Welcome to the society @awec nice to meet you in the clubhouse after.

See you again in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Very nice round yesterday with @weapon of grass destruction and @awec . weapon got off to a good start with some great driving, but a lost ball at the end of the front 9 put him on tilt a little, and it got away from him. @awec had some driver issues off the tee at the start but managed to get it going well on the back nine, and judging by his irons play you knew it was in the locker.

I had a mixed start with a lot of scrambling, but managed to get around 13 holes with 26 points just as the rain kicked in and I let it get in my head. Tried playing second shot safe with a little punch on 14 from 180 out that found the bunker at the front left. I was in 6 bunkers on the day and only got out of one the first time. awful stuff. A three point par on 17, a 1 pointer, and 3 scratches ended my round. New driver shaft was working well though and got so really nice distance out of it.

The course was savage and would play it differently having gone around once now. Lots of opportunities for adventurous tee shots if you know where to aim it. Greens were amazing and had me all over the place so I am well impressed with the scoring on the day.

Full results from yesterday, well done guys. I'll post more later

Thanks to playing partners on the day, RR, Alanm and token56 for showing me how majestic drives should look, if token56 had hit one of his monsters it would have sailed past for LD.

Great back 9 for Alanm for the lowest gross, very tidy given the weather, I think we all played good with 32/33/33/35 in the 4ball. RR getting close to being back also, probably waiting for the Captains to shine.

I'm a bit perturbed with this WHS system, it's taken me a while to eliminate last years (which bears no resemblance to how I'm playing now) part of my 20 rounds and with WHS cut from Lucan and society cut was 6 shots less than last round, I don't mind that and have now 2.9 WHS cut in 3 weeks so playing different golf than the sh1te I was enduring up to late May.

Happy with my round on the day, just two chunks, no lost balls and never really in trouble despite iffy drives on occasion. My putts were high, I left 5 on line putts short and hit the majority of other putts too far past for comfort but only missed one of them so not bothered really as Glasson greens are fast.

I hope ye enjoyed the course, as others have said it would have been a better experience to play from the whites in blistering sunshine and firm conditioning but alas was not to be, given the forecast we did well to get 8 holes in before Benny's legs gave way on his sundance.

See you in Bunclody, only played it the once but remember enjoying it. Well done to the punk on a fine collection of points and ballyk for topping GOTY, will be an interesting final two outings as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

I have to say what a hidden gem Glasson was taught I had played it before but definitely didn't. You really have to know your lines off the Tee's and trust them which I was for the first 9 holes and was flying it as I turned with 20 pts but sadly my chipping seriously let me down and got a bad dose of the chipping yips which probably cost me a win, well post punks 43 would be hard to beat but I definitely would of got in the prizes. I scratched 2 holes from just off the green 🙄 The thing that pissed me of the most was I went out in the rain Friday and was practising my chipping and they were unreal! 🙄 I blame Padraig as was watching his You tube channel the day before!🤣 But my game is close hopefully it comes this weekend for my Captains.

Still though you never have a bad day with boards had the pleasure of playing with Bohtoffee (the big dog has to be the biggest hitter on Tour) Kieran & Kilth who I really taught had this one in the bag.. but like a fault of mine I think he was thinking about it to much coming down the stretch and wobbled a bit but well done on 3rd. Didn't rain at all for us apart for 1 big shower on the 10th I think where we just stood in. It did downpour as we walked of 18, but I knew the weather gods wouldn't fcuk with me. They know better 😉 The flies man was was up with that 😂

Thanks to the usual girls @Break80 & @tigerwood1 for the easy money 😎 and since Tiger is missing Bunclody only 1 event to go with are big bet.. All happens an the Captains... some extra motivation

"stood in" ahem

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manhatton

Thanks BGS for another great outing. Thanks to my partners on the day @Golfgraffix and @blue note, both first timers @ Glasson. Two great golfers who can hit it with the best, but it just wasn't their day on Saturday. I had the pleasure of teeing it up first on the 13th LD hole and both lads outdrove mine, but couldn't keep it on the fairway. @Golfgraffix outdrove me by about 30yds and was inches off the fairway. I was surprised and delighted to hear I held the honour all day. @Golfgraffix had the honour on the par 3 17th and what a shot it was and it held the honour all day also.

I had the great pleasure of sinking an 81ft put on the par 5 10th which is the longest I have ever sunk and it earned me a nice birdie after a poor drive.

All 3 of is hit some good shots here and there but couldn't string them together.

The flies were a bit of a nuisance. I usually carry a can of insect repelent in my bag but unfortunately I had forgot to bring it for this outing. When I mentioned this to the lads on the course they looked at me twice as I had called it a can of "Veet" instead of "Deet". 😂.

Thanks lads for the great company. Well done to all the winners and @a post punk on a fantastic score. Captains Prize in your course must be tough.😉.

I'm looking forward to Bunclody after hearing all the good reports. See ye all soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

Only getting a chance to post now, firstly Apoligies to @RoadRunner I had to go straight after the round as it was 2.5 hours home and I needed to get a few hours sleep before driving 2hours back upto Dublin airport again at 2am.

I was gutted I had to go because the craic is always good afterwards and being only the 2nd time I’ve won a boards outing it would have been nice to collect a prize for once!!

Special mention to voodoo Benny or magic Benny mabye? Because the forecast was wet wet wet and we got away with it until the 16th hole which obviously gave us the advantage over the later starters.

Thanks to @Seve OB aswell and @kev_s88 great playing partners on the day and I did my best to guide them around the course having played it last year.

Onto my own round , I only hit the driver 4 times I think because I keep pulling it mad left and it’s still bedding in so I need to get to the range with it. I had a tactic for the captains prize at home Friday to hit 5iron off the tee on tight fairways and sacrifice the length to get a bogey minimum. This worked fairly well and worked even better Saturday off the yellows with very short par4’s I think I hit 6xGIR and made 6 pars on the day…. To be fair the society handicap I have is inflated with the shots added this year but I still had 40 points off my normal handicap so still great shooting on the day. The only hiccup I had was scratching 16 when the rain came down I pulled my tee shot short and right behind the tree so had to hit out sideways and pulled the 4rescue into the water so ended up making an 8 on that hole.I lipped out on 17 for a birdie and it looked in all the way….. I was on the green in 3 on 18 then and it took me 3 nervy putts to get it in as I had it in my head I could finally break 90 ( something I still haven’t done ) as long as I’m playing!!!

I personally think Glasson is a great course , the views are spectacular going around and the course matches that. Once you have played it once you know where to hit the ball so it’s very playable….. greens are a great speed aswell and held up brilliant to the heavy rain.

Next time we are back mabye @Manhatton or @LinoRichie could invite us all to 1 of the houses they own overlooking the lake 👀👀😂

Finally well done to the other winners in the day and see ye all in Bunclody where normal service score wise will be resumed!! 😂

This was my best par on the day, 2x5’s and a brilliantly hit rescue that ran up lovely to 8-10feet. If only golf was like this on every hole !!

Thanks

PP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

What's this .

Possible rules infraction.

Please elaborate 🤔

Better late than never. So I was looking forward to Glasson having never played it before. I stayed there for a weekend once upon a time at my sisters wedding so it was on the radar. I was lucky enough to play with @a post punk who played a very steady sensible game on saturday and was a well deserved winner. I was delighted to see him pick up the win, congrats. also got to play with @kev_s88 for the first time and he was pleasure to play with. it wasn't his or my day, but he can play golf, and he hit some fab shots.

I wasn't expecting to much from my own game having not played any golf in a month and only got 2 games in the week before with a mixed bag of results. having said that, my ball striking was ok in those games and i was not way off the mark. i held it together on the front 9 and when nearly out of a few holes, i fought hard and a tip on my putting the previous wednesday from a + handicapper gave me encouragements and saw me drop a few really good putts. the highlight of my round was the 6th par 5 where i flushed probably my best drive of the day splitting the fairway in 2 and leaving 215 to the pin. 3 iron, straight at it and came up about 20 foot short. my first putt was poor, never got up the hill but my confidence was high and i drained the 5 footer for birdie. so i turned with 20 points and looking like getting a decent score. i hit a good drive up the 13th for longest drive but pulled her slightly to go off the fairway and put me out of the running. i don't think it was a good hole for longest drive, because it is not a hole for driver and therefore encouraged me to hit a club i shouldn't be hitting costing a shot 10 or 16 would have been better options. after loosing 2 balls on the 14th i had to hit a really special chip shot to save a point as kev was declaring he had just made the best 1 pointer of the day when he chipped to 2 foot. of course i then chipped it into the hole 😁 i hit a pretty good drive on next short par 4 up hill. i got the line wrong though and aimed to far left but i was pin high and a good chip left me a 20 footer which lipped out. thought i might be in with a chance of a prize on 17 when i stuck it to just over 3 meters but of course @Golfgraffix had to be down at 2.85m 🤣 i pulled the putt 🙄 it's a course that as mentioned, you have to play a few times and just play clever around. a great drive hit on 18 and i scored null points because i hit it straight 😲 so i closed out with 32 and well down the pecking order on a day where i hsould have been picking up some decent jug points

so my take on the course, i couldnt play it week in week out. the flies for one thing, no amount of deet is going to repel them, i've never experienced anything like it, absolutely horrendous. i dont think the course makes the best use of the lake and views, with the exception of 16 and 17 really, the lake and views are non existent. its a nice course, but that about all. to many dog legs, i don't mind subtle dog legs but there is no place on any course for 90 degree dog legs, it's poor design imo. conditioning was good especially considering the rain. but we should never have been playing yellow tees, it took away from the experience imo as it made the course very short. they have done a fantastic job on the hotel, its unrecognisable snce i was there last and is very enticing. however, worst bar service i've experienced in quite some time. but it wasn't about that, it was about going on tour with the boardsies, always a great day out and looking forward to getting back to Bunclody next month and hopefully i'll have a better game by then

I'd be curious to know what the last 6 holes looked like before they redesigned it.

Re flies, I've played Glasson probably 30+time and never had fly issue, I had them annoy in a few courses the last week or two so I don't think it's course specific, just time of year, maybe bumper fly babies this year?

Probably so close to a large expanse of water. When they were at their most aggressive the humidity was off the scale as well

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Finally getting around to posting after Glasson. Really enjoyed the round, and we got mostly lucky with the weather, as the forecast had been very ominous early in the week. Congrats to post punk, superb shooting to win it.

Absolutely delighted to finish in the top 3, first time in a long while that i've put any sort of round together. Though still slightly disappointed with the 36 points, as i was absolutely flying with 24 points on the front 9. Just let it slip away on the back, with the few rain interruptions getting me out of sorts a bit. Still though, i'd have bitten off your hand for 36 before the round started.

I'd decided before the round that i was going to try and play very conservative golf this time, as i tend to plan for that and then just whip out the driver on every tee box. That's not worked well with me for a long time now, and is easily my most erratic club. So it stayed in the bag the entire round, and i never used anything more than a 4i off the tee. Stuck that really well though, and was putting myself 200+ yards up the middle on most fairways. My irons play in general on the front was very good, with only one or two slightly off shots. Putting was ok, though did have a few 3 putts over the 18 holes.

Played with benny, Bohtoffee and Kieran, and had a really good round with them. Benny played really well on the front 9, with 20 points, and just a few stray chip shots cost him a podium finish. Bohtoffee's driving let him down the most i'd say, as when he hits it it goes a mile. Got him into bad positions a few times, resulting in him having to play out of trouble (which he did very well). kieran hit some lovely shots, and wasn't far off putting together a decent score, but a few holes really cost him.

Really enjoyed the round, and that 3rd place finish really pushed me up the table. Need to replace one of my sub 100's now with a decent score in Bunclody or Killarney, and can hopefully get that elusive Jug spot 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18 weapon of grass destruction

Just getting around to posting about glasson. Have to say for a hilly course it wasn't too punishing and I really enjoyed it and thought the greens were some of the best I've seen. I would love to play it again.

I decided before the round because my approach play was atrocious I was going to punch all my approach shots, that went out the window on the first fairway. I played well up until the rain and the flies hit.

Had the pleasure to play with @pakman and @awec, 2 sound lads had a great day. All of us at one stage were a little all over the place. Unfortunate for pakman, he definitely played the best and was unlucky with the flies as he and myself were engulfed by them on the back 9. Awesome was unlucky his driver was not cooperating at the start because he was a fairway finder on the back 9.

All in all another great outing. Thanks to @RoadRunner for another great setup and great course choice. Congrats to the winner @a post punk that's great shooting in those conditions. I was going to get food afterwards but the flies I had on 18 were surprisingly meaty so that sustained me for the drive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

When I saw the list of courses for the year included Glasson I was delighted. It was a course we last visited the year I was captain. Unfortunately I didn't get to play it that time as I'd fractured a bone and hadn't recovered in time to play the course.

Played with charlieirl (a man with local knowledge which was very helpful), Snackbox20 and tigerwood1, so a lovely group to be out with. I hit an ok drive on the first that stayed in the rough on the right, hit a nice 5 iron to the middle of the green and rolled in the putt for birdie on a tricky green. When that dropped I was thinking it could be my day! Made a few pars and bogeys to get to 20 points after 8 holes but then proceeded to scratch the 9th with a crap bunker shot and a putt that just missed for a point.

I didn't drive as well on the back 9 but kept ticking over and a par on 17 got me back on track. I was delighted to finish with 38 points and finish 2nd after missing out on the prizes a few times this year. Thanks to the very generous sponsor for donating the golf balls to the Society.

Just about managed to stay for the prizegiving. Congrats to a_post_punk for a phenomenal score of 43 points. Delighted to see him in the winner's enclosure as he is a stalwart of the society and drives long distances to most outings.

Thanks to my playing partners for a lovely day out. Charlieirl finished like a train with a heap of pars after struggling with his driver for much of the round and he birdied 17 for a 2. He was then followed in by Snackbox20 for another 2 and Snackbox20 got to his points target for the day by 18! Tigerwood1 didn't have his game on the day but he kept plugging away and he very generously refrained from looking for a bet on the back 9 as he knew I could be in contention - top man! Hopefully he'll get playing more regularly and get back to his real form.

After the prizegiving I was going to a Limerick supporters club event in Dublin ahead of the All Ireland hurling final. I had the pleasure of being in Croke Park to watch Limerick win the 4 in a row in the hurling on Sunday so all in all a super weekend!

Thanks to Roadrunner and Seve for all their work for the society and to spacecoyote and others in the thread for their kind comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

I meant to say I thought the greens in Glasson were excellent, so fair play to the greenkeeping staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

The front 9 experience was really nice, but the rain fell rather heavily for our back 9 unfortunately. The rain, jacket on/off conditions, combined with sustained bug attacks made it difficult to commit to shots.

The course was lovely. The greens in particular were savage and super fast and were the real challenge of the course. It's a great venue for a society outing!

Playing with slave, alanm, and token was fun. I was level with Alanm on gross after the front9, but then he played his best stuff with a really great back 9 in wet changeable conditions while I fell apart a little (the last stretch of holes we starting having to deal with standing water in places).

We all had pretty decent games on the day. Token hit driver everywhere and more often than not pulled it off, as was mentioned by a previous posted, he seems able to shape the driver both ways on command. I was hitting my irons really well I felt. Slave was playing careful measured golf and relying on his strengths. Alanm just kind of did everything right.

Congrats on a great win and massive score for postpunk which I was delighted to see.

As mentioned afterwards in the bar, we didn't have one drop-out on the day, which, given the awful forecast, which was a real credit to everyone on the day and a testament to our golf motivations. As captain I was personally very happy to see this. I strongly believe that when the weather turns bad for a full month we have to roll with it. Also there's no point spending crazy money on rain gear and not actually using it!

The glasson lakehouse looks like a stunning place to stay, and I really enjoyed a bite and glass of beer afterwards in the covered outdoor area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement