Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 6) Glasson (22th July @11:10am)

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Enjoyed the short 20 minute trip to Glasson, a course I try to get to play a few times a year but for whatever reason - I have't been there in 3 maybe 4 years. Having never played the new holes, i was pleasntly surprised with them and think they make for a better finish. Spent a bit of time in the practice area which is a fantastic addtion to the course and it was great to chat to the GOLF GM and get a few tips from her to try sort the erratic hook that has crept into my game. She couldn't do enough to help and it was greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to my playing partners on the day, they made my frustrating golf more enjoyable as they always do. Was a pleasure to watch BallyK hit his effortless accurate shots. Well done on the second plavce, i knew he had a score going but i didn't want to ask as not to disturb him.

As mentioned above, I had a much better back 9 which included an excellent drive to 16 and a nice birdie on 17. Having played it a lot meant I knew the lines and where to hit the ball (not that my ball actually went where it should!!) As for the flies - this is the fist time i've experienced them on the course, I think its the same everywhere as they were very annoying in Tullamore on Monday as well.

Unfortunately, I will miss Bunclody so see ye all at Captains!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

First time I've had a few minutes to put up a post since Saturday.

Firstly, congrats to a post punk on being lord of the flies for the day. I played with him in mount Juliet and if I remember correctly he was on course for a good round a f

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Looks like your minute ran out quick Bluenote 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

LOL, very funny 🤣 (congrats again on the new arrival)

I hit post by accident. Then I had the whole thing edited and I went to check what hole I was talking about for a shot. When I went back the message was gone.

Anyway, I'd a lovely time, thanks everyone. I'll hopefully edit the post before bunclody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Sincere Apologies I never mentioned our winners on the day. Congratulations guys, well deserved.

Obviously my life is dictated at the moment by a newborn and a two year old. To get away for a day was bliss. It's hard to actually switch off and take a proper break and think about anything beyond parenting and golf is great for this. I sliced my first drive into trees never to be seen again, but I didn't care. The last thing I did before leaving the house was console my two year old who was upset that I wouldn't let her lick the car door. I reloaded and did the same with the second. Again I didn't care, I was thinking I'd rather be doing this than changing my baby's vest because the poo had leaked up her back, and her babygrow because it had soaked through that, and my tee shirt because I was holding her at the time.

I picked up and went onto the second hole and sliced another one way right. And that's how quick it was to reach the point where I switched off and was no longer thinking about washing clothes, making dinners, what in my eyeline can cause a potentially fatal accident. On that third sliced drive in a row (my third shot of the day) I cared! I hopefully succeeded in pretending that was fine, but I was p1ssed off! Anyway, I found that one and made a par so it wasn't all bad. In spite of my score for the day I thought I played okay. I'm always delusional like that though. I'd say I don't break 30 points in the majority of my rounds, but come off the course thinking I did a few things well that day. And in fairness my contact was good on a few shots. My driving was frustrating. It was excellent on my previous two rounds and my typical miss both those days was a pull left. So I was reluctant to aim left all day which is what I should have done. I played all day with a bit of a slice, which took a bit of distance off and left me in the wrong place.

I played with @Manhatton and @Golfgraffix . I think golfgraffix was similar to me - played okay but didn't score well. What we mean by okay is a bit different of course, but that's golf. And Manhatton was going very well after 9. One of those rounds that could go either way - a couple of bad holes and the chances of a good score fade away, or a couple of three pointers and suddenly you're thinking about winning the comp. Then on the 10th hole he's just off the green, but near enough to putt for birdie. Approximately 81 feet from the hole. He curled it around golfgraffix's ball to drop it in for 4 points. It's possibly the longest putt I've ever seen holed. 4 points there set him up nicely to challenge for a win, but then a couple of bad holes later he was out of contention. That's also golf. He won the long drive a couple of holes later for a drive that was probably a similar length to that putt.

Glasson was a club on my radar for a long time. I used to play in the midlands a lot and heard great things, but never got to give it a go. I'd heard the renovations were motivated by the owners wanting to improve their wedding facilities as opposed to the golf course so I was nervous that the last few holes would be a bit squished and a poor finish, but I thought 13 and in were some of the best holes. 13 was a great hole - very tricky green when you got up there. I like elevation changes, so the approach on 14 with water right was very enjoyable. The drive on 16 was very inviting, a lovely hole from the tee. And 17 is a cracker of a par 3.

Anyway, thanks to all the organisers as always. They're very well run days and everyone knows that's due to the effort put in. I'm highly doubtful for the last two outings unfortunately. I was booked in to play bunclody last year but it was closed due to a monsoon. I've heard nothing but great things about it. So best of luck there - enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Just closing out the Glasson society event thread with continuity to the next event on the list which was Bunclody: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058306691/boards-golf-society-2023-round-7-bunclody-12th-august-1-10pm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement