Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1 09:00 to 10:00 Monday to Friday: Your choice to host?

• 07-07-2023 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

Given the choice, who would you like to see in the RTE Radio 1 09:00 to 10:00 Monday to Friday slot.

For me it would be anyone but 'The Toyman'.

RTE Radio 1 09:00 to 10:00 Monday to Friday: Your choice to host? 76 votes

Bring back Bryan Trubidy
    6%
    SPDUBbennyobcrl84doc22radiotrickster 5 votes
    Anyone but 'The Toyman'
    18%
    NIMANSchnooksalstro5roashterAtlantic Dawnkitsy13[Deleted User]steinbock123omicronJim_HodgeFurze99DarkJager21boardsuser1000Arthur Pants 14 votes
    An inanimate carbon rod
    14%
    DoctorEdgeWildDub StechilloutrelaxtimmyntcMike Roephonetnegun[Deleted User]ISOPBud wiserStevenToastz80CPU 11 votes
    Oliver Callan
    27%
    ITV2squonkRINO87newportladseanzissouMerlinSouthDubBuzzGcnocmuddypawsPelvis ParsleybottlebrushWater JohnspakmanMena Mittyits_steve116Torktobefrank321[Deleted User]Paterson JerinsSpin 1038 21 votes
    Marty Morrisey
    5%
    Max Power 2010gameoverdudearchfiMaynis 4 votes
    A turd sandwich
    10%
    SeeMoreButpatrickclertsnimrodders999Expungecute geogegandalfioadgib 8 votes
    Other
    17%
    Declan A Walshbureau2009dmc17ItssoeasytwinklerunnerNorthDown2RobbingBanditiniallgmiskCareful_now!Wubble WubbleRed Fredeadrom 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone but 'The Toyman'

I think the show is too short at an hour when the ads and news is factored in there's little to get a proper discusssion or debate on.

Pat Kenny does from 9-12 on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Will Leahy - deserves a chance at talk radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Dustin.

Bring back Tubs once this nothing-burger silly season stuff has blown over.

Whoever is chosen won’t be good enough anyway for the pale, male and stale online outrage brigade.

It won’t be Callan anyway - he’s a completely useless stand-in. Someone needs to sit Ollie down and gently let him know he’s about as funny as coming round the bend and seeing your house on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

Anyone but 'The Toyman'

^ Racist, sexist and ageist posts not welcome here, thanks Doc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Oliver Callan

John Murray? I know he's done the slot before, but he wouldn't be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Oliver Callan

I make a point if listening when Oliver Callan is sitting in.

I made a point of switching the radio off after the 9.00 news when RT was there.

Overlord

Anyone but 'The Toyman'

Not much support for Trubidy so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Bring Claire Byrne's show forward an hour..... have Louise Duffy from 11 to 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Bring back Bryan Trubidy

I voted for Bryan because how do you manage to make that mistake given all the publicity the last 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Other

Ivan Yates made a comment yesterday about Anton Savage taking over the spot.

I don't know if he was joking, but I like to hear Anton do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Oliver Callan

Heard Oliver Callan doing the show on Friday, was excellent. Not his comedian persona which I don't like, but the OC that has a more cultured side. Remember he has a significant involvement in that area as President of the Patrick Kavanagh Society.

Overlord

Anyone but 'The Toyman'

3 votes out of 34 for the incumbent so far. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for 'The Toyman'.

Maybe he'll get more votes after he appears before the Oireachtas committee (with his lawyer in tow).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Other

Other leave it empty and keep shovelling the snow monies to the dainty little bugger

Not too sure the infamous radio forum on Boards is a barometer of public opinion, Art. There’s a demographic here who actually hate the medium of radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Oliver Callan

Your bizarre rants and outrage towards Callan can't be good for your blood pressure.

Can you explain what is good about tubs on his radio show? Is he funny? Do you like his fake laughs and his ramblings about books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Opportunity to cut costs for the hard-pressed taxpayer and get an AI radio presenter - RadioGPT is an AI tool that combines different technologies to “host” a radio show.

The BP is fine PJ.

I rarely is ever listen to the Tubridy show as I have a job. The odd time I do I find it harmless enough - easy listening. Tubs doesn’t try to be funny though - Callan does. Few things worse than someone who just isn’t funny thinking they are and attempting humour at all times. It’s bad enough down the pub, but it’s just not going to work on one of the most listened to radio shows in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Whatever about tubs. OC is absolutely awful.

Soemone needs to let him know he can't do impressions. We just get an hour of very odd noises.

It shouldn't be a case of tubs is rubbish so OC will do. There's the guts of 300-400k at play here.

Surley we can do much better than either of them?

• Advertisement

Jesus, imagine having to listen to those impressions every day? Callan is such a bad impressionist that he has to let the audience know who he is impersonating each time - “well Leo, it’s me Mary Lou. Hello Mary Lou” etc etc.

• Oliver Callan

Oliver is doing a fine job in this format without lecturing us. I hate being lectured.

Overlord

Anyone but 'The Toyman'

Interesting take on things, Doc.

'The Toyman' is currently running at 6% (with rounding), What percentage of the voters would fall into your aforementioned demographic do you think? 94%?

I don’t know - did the Sindo do a poll where 30% of people wanted Tubs back? Could be raving here.

It would definitely be more than the 6% here. Boards demographic is mostly male, middle-aged, increasingly conservative. There’s also a cohort of people who are absolutely negatively obsessed with Irish celebrities to the point you’d worry about them. Then you have the sort of people who finish their cornflakes and spend the day listening to shows they hate presented by people they despise just so they can post about it online with similar obsessives.

You just aren’t going to get a representative sample here.

Overlord

Anyone but 'The Toyman'

It's fortuitous that we have young, diverse, inclusive knowledgeable female posters like yourself on here to prevent this site descending into an echo chamber of middle aged male conservative views. Thanks for your service, Doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Other

Four hours of current affairs in a row. No thanks. There's already too much chat and current affairs on the station. How about some documentaries, arts, book programmes, etc. Even BBC R4 does a show on Friday (Last Word) about people that have died - surely an Irish version would be a big hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Oliver Callan

A show about people who have died. Isn’t that Liveline surely? 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

An inanimate carbon rod

Since Clare Byrne's show has moved fully over to light entertainment magazine fluff, I'd like to see something closer to a genuine discussion of current affairs, political, social, whatever. Sarah McInerney would be my choice for that job I think, but presenter wouldn't be as important to me as content. RTE have enough magazine shows and not enough legitimate discussion.

Sarah McInerney for legitimate discussion. Christ

Why do we keep wanting to sell ourselves short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Save on presenter fees, try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

An inanimate carbon rod

I don't know if Christ is available. He's only really around at Easter for a week so would end up doing the same hours per year as Duffy.

Overlord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

a relay of Will Leahy's RTE Gold 80s hour would suit this timeslot on RTE One

Overlord

Anyone but 'The Toyman'

I wonder how the audience figures are holding up without Trubidy at the helm these last few weeks?

I know he used to take 10 plus weeks holidays a year, so a few weeks off wasn't unknown to his audience.

I suggested on another thread that (comedienne) Alison Spittle could replace him given her DJ experience from 'Nowhere Last' and her recent talk show experience:

"I'd actually recommend her to RTE as a replacement for Trubidy on the radio slot. Clearly the audience for that show is used to a dire 60 minutes of unfunny tripe and death notices. She is guaranteed to keep that audience happy and I believe she has also branched out to talk show host recently."

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Other

Openly advertise this radio slot and choose the best candidate on merit 🤗

Would be interesting to see - and hear - what ensues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Anyone but the Toyman or Marty and make it a 3 hour show.

Make them work a few hours for their pay.

Marty who?

You do realise they work way more hours than the lenght of the show right?

Overlord

Anyone but 'The Toyman'

I believe that Trubidy had a team of 6 working behind the scenes on the show. I think he rolled in at around 08:55, then was gone from the RTE campus by 10:05 most days.

I'm sure Marty did lots of work behind the scenes, you have to, to know at least 3-4 generations past of each player and what they did for a living.

I did like Marty before all this broke but now he can go fook himself, on the gravy train like many others in RTE and the GAA.

Never, ever liked the toyman. Just a gormless, sorry looking individual as far as I was concerned.

• Advertisement
    Overlord

Anyone but 'The Toyman'

I have heard Trubidy referred to as a 'lanky streak of piss' a few times in the past. I can't condone language like that, but it doesn't seem to be far off the mark.

And gets his team to do all the research and write the books 😮

Is Dee Forbes not the Christ and NK could be Peter.

He did deny at least 3 times having any meetings with her.........

Can't be sure if the cock crowed or not.

Advertisement