Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inguinal hernia operation wait

Options
  • 08-07-2023 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Does anyone know how long roughly it will take after consultation for an inguinal hernia to get an operation in the mater?

The pain has got aggresively worse since i went to the gp about it in March. It's also got a lot bigger and constantly comes out. I had a hernia on the other side a decade earlier and it barely hurt and i had an operation after a few months, but this one is extremely painful expecially as the day goes on and debilitating my daily tasks, especially with a toddler.

The doctor said he would put me as a urgent case back in March but I just got a letter for an appointment for a consultation only in December and the secretary of the doctor confirmed its down as a standard case and not urgent, and said she can't say how long it will take before i get an operation, i presume to cover herself incase she's wrong. She put me on a cancellation list but said more than likely I won't get one.

I'm just wondering is it likely to be weeks, months or years? I haven't a clue.

I Would coconsider taking out a loan to get it done privately if it will take long as its hampering my quality of life.

There's also a thing called the Cross border directive, has anyone had experience with that?

Does anyone have any other ideas? Getting desperate at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It happened to me in Aug 2020 and had the operation in Feb this year, I was in the public system but got it done in the private hospital in Limerick and the HSE footed the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭ibrahimovic

So I had it, took ten months of frustration to get it and now 6 months on after the operation where I thought the bulge was scar tissue or just fluid... it's clear it's reoccurred. Beyond frustrating, rang the hospital and they told me to get my GP to refer me, I was hoping I could just tell them and they'd sort it. Never simple in this country! I'm expecting another long frustrating wait, I presume it'll have to be the same surgeon so they know what to fix?

Advertisement