Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this look unfinished

Options
  • 08-07-2023 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

Was at a friend's earlier and they pointed out the finish at the back of their house, they feel like it's unfinished and the builder should have rendered it, it appears a similar house further down the terrace has been rendered (this part is an addition to an existing older structure)

I have no idea, it doesn't look great but I said I'd ask the experts

And this a similar structure but further down the terrace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That looks like fibre cement cladding panels. You wouldn't render it, it's designed to look like that. Similar houses in estates often have different finishes in some areas for aesthetic purposes, so every house doesn't look the same. Some houses might have brickwork where others don't etc. Looks like these houses have similar extensions, but some are done in render, some are done in cladding.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

OK thanks so that's an actual finish, they were wondering was it incomplete!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭bfclancy2

looks good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

Its a relatively cheap cladding system - looks like it needs a good clean - but it is a finished product.

F

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Your friend doesn’t seem to know what the drawings say or the design is, if they think the building is unfinished.

A bit of a strange notion tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its in an estate, its not a design they commissioned. Obviously they didnt dig out the drawings, id imagine its not that uncommon, anyway query has been answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Clearly not a design they commissioned. But if purchasing, there should have been documentation regarding being in accordance with the approved design. A bit strange to buy a house believed incomplete.

Less so if renting I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Architectural style there for sure. The differentiation of rendered versus cladded between units is to literally have variation between the blocks to improve the visual amenity. You can tell that it's architected as the retaining screws are quite well aligned and the cuts are clean. Personal preference!

Advertisement