Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air bridge Collapse Dublin

Options

Comments

• That's quite unusual. I would say the manufacturer will be called in because they're both fairly new (if its T2) and also they're an off the shelf product that's common in plenty of other airports too.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Door completely ripped off.

incredibly lucky no handling agents or any ground crew were injured. Or probably indeed worse, if that door or airbridge comes down on your head or neck from that height it would undoubtedly kill you. I hope for the DAAs sake the inspection and maintenance checks of that airbridge were happening as required and documented as required in the operator manual.

a high end repair cost wise…that aircraft will be out of service for a number of weeks…

repair cost.. new door, shipping of door from Seattle or wherever, installation, hangarage.

also I’d imagine by the nature of the incident the fuselage would be damaged or impacted by the door as it fell between the airbridge and the aircraft. At best a repair of the paint.

Had a look see to find what the cost is for a replacement door but that info isn’t easily available. Either way, not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Saw pic of the fuselage its ripped open under the door wonder if it can even be repaired cant post pic it's not mine .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭Gusser09

These things happen. Nobody hurt thankfully. In the grand scheme of things plane will be easily fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

When you factor in resulting cancellations and potentially leasing in another airframe, this will comfortably cost several million.

Carbon fibre fuselage repair too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Door on the ground circled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Look more closely - are you sure you are not just seeing a reflection?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Doesn’t look reflective to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yeap, that 78 is going nowhere, AA have their own aircraft engineers in Dublin from what I remember?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Silly question, but could this accident have simply been caused by an operator error rather than equipment failure (e.g. an operator not locking some hydraulic control in position etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Seen a pic of plane being towed, plane underneath door doesn’t look damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Astral Nav

Happened to BA in CPT with a 777. The door hinges are designed to fail before the frame distorts so may not be so bad. No pictures here of fuselage holes yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd say that the support / steering gear for the bridge collapsed, while it was connected to the Aircraft, and took the door with it when it dropped down. That's some serious damage there, the door frame, that the door actually locks into, will have been twisted as the door ripped off, and possibly even taken part of the pillar with it. For sure, its not so simple as just a door replacement job anyway. But very strange that there's mechanical locking mechanism on them? Like on a car lift, where you can hear "Clicks" as the lift ascends, as the safety catches click in. Lucky the plane was not loading /unloading passengers at the time. I was on a plane last week, and while standing on the bridge at the door waiting to board, I remember looking at the hinges and thinking, that these doors were well and truly secured to the aircraft.

You can see the door hinge hanging out of the doorway. The rest looks like a reflection of the airbridge. The door would have to have been forced into the fuselage in a big way to rip a large hole but the door on the ground looks largely undamaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s by my guesstimate a 9-10 foot drop, had anybody been on that airbridge especially towards the exit they’d have ended up bouncing off the roof of it with the sudden drop.. could have been very serious head / neck injuries… anyone under it ( you are not supposed to be ) would have died… in the aftermath looks to be about a 4-5ft clearance from the ground to the bottom of the airbridge at the front there…. Ffffffûck that doesn’t bare thinking about…..anyway hopefully the investigation will bring about appropriate corrective measures and procedures and deal with any individuals locally or internationally who may be culpable. These things don’t just happen in fairness and that ain’t no easy or quick fix either, new aircraft door, and a significant air frame repair, the bigger photo confirms .. $$$$$$. Id also imagine the DAA will be financially liable for any supplemental aircraft that gets leased….or whatever expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Could well be a fault of the driver of the airbridge.

They have to carefully move it into place. I could see an accident like this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

€140k in EC-261 claims from this one flight alone assuming it was fully loaded.

I know AA were hurting big time for 788 frames so not sure where they'll get the spare for AA722 & tomorrows AA723.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

doesnt have to be a 788 though, 777 would do or a hire 767

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Would this not be exceptional circumstances? In fairness to AA!

I don’t envy the staff trying to get everyone re-booked. My 12-year old was due to travel in this flight on his own, staff were great and he was immediately bumped to tomorrow (as he can’t really go to another airline or a connection). But there was a very big queue and a large proportion of US passengers so they all need hotels etc.

There is a second AA departure to PHL tomorrow: AA9600 at 1630. Positions in as AA9782 at 0845 from DFW. B788 N876AL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Bloody hell.

If they're not 100% in Dublin wtf are they like in places where health & safety doesn't exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Jacovs

• It looks very like what happened at Sea-Tac a few years ago and at Sydney in the early 2000s.

I wonder if it's a design issue in a specific model of jetway / airbridge.

AFAIK that was an issue with a bracket.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

2 staff had light injuries. Both walked to the ambulance. Maybe sprains only.

Article in the Journal stated "no crew or passengers injured", which is technically true.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cpxxc

No, I trained on airbridges recently. The operator only has a joystick and left, right, up down buttons. Plus a video screen. He or she couldn't physically do what you can see in the pictures. That's a mechanical failure of some sort. Which seems to have happened after the operator docked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭N64

Any idea over the weekend why there were two AA 787's parked up at the cargo lot? Saw one with the missing door (the plane involved) but no idea what the second one was doing there. This was around about 8pm.

The American Charlotte flight was cancelled one of the days. It was a 777-200.

• Advertisement
Advertisement