Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home euthanasia in Dublin query

Options
  • 10-07-2023 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

My dog has been diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure. She's at least 13 years old. I don't want her to suffer, but can't bear the idea of bringing her to the vet to be put to sleep. I would much prefer a home euthanasia service where we she's comfy and we can all be with her (including my other dog who adores her) when it happens.

Our own vets don't do home visits and any mobile service I've called don't seem to either.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a vet in North Dublin who can do this and possibly help with the cremation arrangements.

Surely this service can't be that hard to find? Cost isn't an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog 😢 I also lost one to kidney failure. Rebecca from Catstone Veterinary is lovely and offers euthanasia. She’s a mobile vet. We had her out last year to do titre tests for Rory and she was very patient - both dogs loved her!

https://m.facebook.com/CatstoneVet/

https://eu.jotform.com/app/221433481048350/221433457633050

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Sad news..if you are not getting anybody ... Maybe a vet used to visiting farms would help here..maybe ask on one of the farming channels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

No suggestions for North Dublin OP... I just wanted to sympathise with you at what many of us here know is a horrible, sad, traumatising time.

Just to note that although the vet that tk123 has recommended is based in Mullingar, she covers Dublin. She sounds like what you're looking for, I think?

All the best with what's ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭iniscealtra

We had to put our dog down last year. He couldn’t walk. So we brought him to the vet comfortably in the back of the car. He’s familiar with the car. The vet was great and very kind. He came out to the car and administered the injection so we didn’t have to move the dog again. It only took a minute and we were there. No stress.

That might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Our little one passed from Kidney failure and I am sorry I did not get a house call.

In respect of cremation, I would suggest you contact Pawprints in Trim and talk through the options. They are based in Trim but work all over Ireland. They may even be able to recommend a vet. Or what you could do as recommended above is keep her in the car and have the appointment made and you drop her off at Pawprints yourself. You will be able to take her home the same day. Sounds mad, but it will be easier than in 8 weeks time, her ashes coming back and being upset all over again.

Home - Pawprints Cremation

I really cant recommend them enough. They had our little one back to us in 2 days, sometimes it takes weeks via the Vets and were half the price of what our vet quoted, but it was the personal service that stood out for us.

Its a really horrible time, so take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Xenor1

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Rebecca from Catstone was lovely on the phone and will arrange everything with Pawprints.

I'm so glad that my dog will at least be comfy and relaxed in her normal perch on the couch when it happens and we can all be there to say goodbye to the best dog in the world.

It's so hard, but there's great comfort in that. Thanks so much again!

I came back to edit my post earlier to point out that the vet I recommended covers Dublin but DBB had beaten me to it.

OP definitely have a plan in place. Lucy wasn’t a text book CKD dog - she was only 6 and looked like she was in perfect health. My vet had warned me it wasn’t normal and she could go downhill very quickly which is what happened - on Christmas Day no less. I’d use PawPrints for the cremation too (possibly the vet uses them already - you could check with her) as other places take weeks / months and it’s just horrendous getting them back after weeks and weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Xenor1

@tk123 I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing your pet is hard but having it happen on Christmas day would be truly awful.

I really can't thank you enough for your recommendation. My dog was put to sleep today at our home by Rebecca (who was amazing), and it was so reassuring to have her calm and relaxed throughout, and even getting her appetite back and eating some treats once the morphine kicked in.

We're absolutely heartbroken, of course but you helped make her passing so much easier.

Take care x

Ah i’m sorry to hear that she’s gone - it’s just a horrible disease to have to deal with :( I’m glad you were able to let her go how you wanted - relaxed at home and having treats!

Look after yourself! It’s such a hard thing to deal with but know you gave her a great life and were with her at the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Aw I'm so sorry to hear you had to say goodbye today Xenor1, but it sounds like you got great comfort by making the whole process as easy as it could be. She was lucky to have such caring owners to mind her so conscientiously, right to the end.

Mind yourself now 😔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

So sorry for your loss, we had to do exactly the same 18 months ago for our eldest girl Coco. Her kidneys had given up and we were so lucky the vet who had treated her for her entire life came out to our home to help her go. I just couldn't have brought her into the practice, she hated going in so having her pass away in her own home surrounded by her family made all the difference. We then brought her out to Paw Prints in Trim ourselves and she was back in only 3 days.

It's great to know there's a mobile service in case it's ever needed again (I have 5 dogs) but luckily we have a great relationship with our vet. For Coco, the owner of the practice came out, during Covid, while she herself was on maternity leave. She really went above and beyond what I ever expected.

Advertisement