Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New offset topper hydraulic float position

• 10-07-2023 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭

I wonder if someone could advise me here. I just bought a fleming topper that swings around via the hydraulics to be fully offset. My tractor (John D) has a float position on the hydraulic control lever. Anyone know if I should be using this while topping? I have the topper at the full 90 degrees but notice that over time it gets pushed back a bit and I have to pump the lever a bit to get it back at the 90.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

When you put the Topper in the work position (out the side) you want to keep it there. Once it’s all the ways out, put the spool lever into neutral position.

Tip: if there’s 2 hoses coming from a ram, the spool lever should never be in float.

I also have a Fleming topper like yours and even though there is a check valve on the ram it creeps back a little bit from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

Have a mf390 and conner topper that does the same - assumed it was tractor hydraulics were leaking internally. There is a pressure valve on my topper hydraulics that allows topper to break back that you can adjust. dont think having hydraulic tractor in float will work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Definitely shouldn't be in float as that would allow the topper to slide backwards and ya'd be dragging it along at some funny angle, and possibly make bits of yer PTO. Turn the topper out fully and put the lever in neutral to keep it in that position

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

I have same topper as u , I just pull the lever to bring it forward when it goes back a bit, if topping for an hour say u might have to correct it 4-5 times,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭hopeso

There isn't actually a check valve on the Fleming topper. It's a valve for the hydraulic brake back system. Basically, if you run into something solid with the topper out in the working position, it lets the topper fold back into the transport position to minimise damage. If the topper is creeping back during work, it sounds like that valve needs to be tightened a little. They probably set them on the safe side in the factory. If you look at the valve on the ram, there's a hex screw (allen key) and a lock nut. To adjust, loosen the lock nut and screw in the hex screw a little. They recommend one quarter turn at a time. Then retighten the lock nut and see if the ram holds position. Repeat again if necessary. Just be aware that the more you tighten the screw, the more force that will be required to push the topper back in the event of you hitting something.

You can find a link to the user instructions for the toppers on the Fleming website. I tried to post a link, but it didn't work....

• Advertisement
Advertisement