Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you remember this sketch?

• 10-07-2023 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

For years, it's been driving me crazy trying to remember where I saw this comedy sketch.

It would have been in the late 80's/early 90's and maybe had Kevin McAleer and possibly Charles Lawson.

I think it could have possibly been RTE's Nighthawks, or a BBC NI Comedy programme (not Give my Head Peace).

Basically, it's a Belfast Catholic and a Protestant at a bar. They say that they've gone through a process of reconciliation and now understand each others culture.

The dialog goes something like:

Billy: "After reading about Republican history Paddy, I think I now know the the pain of your people.....you murderous taig"

Paddy: "Thanks Billy, and I too have come to a deeper understanding of Loyalist culture....you black land grabbing hun".

Basically the schtick is that although they are chatting amicably, the old hatred still remains.

Anyone remember where it's from?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Vaguely remember a Kevin MacAleer sketch like that, only it was just himself doing it. I remember the line "may you die roaring".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I remember it, although it didn't use obvious pejoratives.

Instead each contributor told the history of the North from their own biased perspective, with each completely ignoring the others input with both remaining amicable throughout.

McAleer: Well before the plantation the north of Ireland was a Gaelic paradise. A land of milk and honey where people lived happy and carefree lives wanting for nothing.

Other guy: That's true Kevin, when God's own people first arrived Northern Ireland was, as you said, a backward, under populated wasteland that was quickly transformed from a bog into the Utopia we see today. All thanks to the protestant work ethic.

It wasn't from Nighthawks I believe. My memory is sketchy as it was probably over 30 years ago, but I'd guess it was taken from a stage show and shown on a NI TV news program.

It may even have been improvised during an interview for the stage show.

(Just googled Charles Lawson, it definitely wasn't him taking part)

Post edited by Duckworth_Luas on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Loved McAleers stuff - it may have been a standup routine at some point. He got a lot of airtime in the 90s in fairness.

I think this piece is the script from it or at least a variation on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/schools/11_16/citizenship/sectarianism/laugh01.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Bingo! Many thanks. It's from...

I've a contact in BBC NI and might even be able to get a copy now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I had a copy on VHS and re-watched it a few times before that all died :(

You are in for a treat if you do track down a copy, some other excellent sketches in there.

Patrick Kielty was the MC of the Empire comedy club in Belfast at the time and I think it was filmed there with him as MC again.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Is it in there by any chance? I've not watched it all yet but I defo have in the past!

Advertisement