Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today’s movies are just crap, help me delve into some golden oldies.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The Gods Must Be Crazy I and II

(what happens when an empty bottle of Coke falls among the Bushmen)

Frankie and Johnny

Post edited by New Home on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

State of Grace is a classic.

Great performances from Sean Penn, Gary Oldman, Ed Harris and Robin Wright. Only fault I can say is that it runs about 20 minutes too long, would've benefited from a harsher cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Throw momma from the train brilliant comedy with Danny De Vito and Billy Crystal. Classic and halirous western City Slickers with Billy Crystal and Jack Palance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Classic 'watch over the Christmas holidays on RTE1' movie right there, would always be one of the films I'd put a ring around in the RTE guide when lining up what to watch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And that tune will stay in your ears for weeks. 😁

• Advertisement

Charade (Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Walter Matthau, etc)

North by Northwest

Roman Holiday

Sabrina (the Audrey Hepburn version)

My Fair Lady (the Audrey Hepburn version)

and

Frantic (did I mention this one before?)

Legal Eagles isn't half bad either (again, I might have mentioned that one before, too).

The African Queen (Humphrey Bogart, Katherine Hepburn)

Philadelphia Story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Throw Momma From The Train is a really enjoyable comedy. Danny De Vito and Billy Crystal are great. We loved it as kids, used to quote it - "Criss Cross" and "The night was sultry". It used to be on tv regularly, but I haven't seen it in years.

Opposite problem with City Slickers. It's a classic, also much loved as children, but I have seen it too many times. It's always on. Gave me a shock when I saw it recently to realise I'm now older than Mitch.

I Watched these movies with my kids when they were very young. Mouse Hunt, Baby's Day Out, The Borrowers, Baby Geniuses, Honey I Shrunk The Kids and Dennis The Menace with Walter Mathu.

I would definitely recommend these movies if you have kids and are looking for something to entertain them while the weather is unseasonably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

Only scrolled through a few pages, has "There Will Be Blood" been mentioned yet?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Not that I can remember. Daniel Day Lewis is a brilliant actor. It's a pity he isn't making more movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

No Country For Old Men

Fargo

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The Harrison Ford film, Witness.

I had forgotten about that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

City of God (Brazilian movie) its fantastic.

Dying to Survive (Chinese movie presents an interesting moral question about the pharmaceutical industry).

Silence (Stars Andrew Garfield as a priest during the Edo period in Japan and facing religious persecution).

The Wave (2008 German movie about a teachers class experiment showing how easy people can be manipulated to follow dictatorship and grow to hate others).

Grave of the Fireflies (Japanese animated movie following two orphans trying to survive in the aftermath of WW2).

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

A few that I haven't seen mentioned:

Bicycle Thieves (1940s Italian movie)

Boyz 'n The Hood - one of my all-time favourites

Alive - about the plane crash in the Andes

Young Guns

Two Robin Williams movies:

One Hour Photo - a very underrated movie

Moscow on the Hudson - black comedy from the '80s

Grave of the fireflies is breathtakingly beautiful as much as it is heartbreaking. Not for the fainthearted.

Then again, if we're talking Japanese anime, "My Neighbour Totoro" and "Ponyo" are both a-ma-zing.

I keep meaning to watch One Hour Photo. Another one starring Williams is Insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I haven't seen it but I did see the original Norwegian version and it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The Sure Thing . A breakout role for John Cusack.

Director Rob Reiner, of such films as Stand By Me, When Harry Met Sally, Misery, A Few Good Men, Sleepless in Seattle, The Wolf Of Wall Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Watched a film called Top Secret! (1984) staring Val Kilmer. Never heard of it before but was the best film I've seen in years.

Val Kilmer, right? Yep, that's hilarious.

Hot Shots 1 and 2 were also funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A lot of these have probably been mentioned before, but anyway, these are some of best movies from each decade up to the 70's, AFAIC...

1920's - Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Metropolis, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Wings, The Golem, The Phantom of the Opera, The Battleship Potemkin, The Great White Silence, Safety Last

1930's - Frankenstein, King Kong, The Wizard of Oz, All Quiet on the Western Front, Freaks, Gone With The Wind, M, Mutiny on the Bounty, Wuthering Heights, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Of Mice and Men, The 39 Steps, The Invisible Man, Angels with Dirty Faces, The Dawn Patrol, The Most Dangerous Game, Things to Come

1940's - The Maltese Falcon, Great Expectations, The Grapes of Wrath, Double Indemnity, And Then There Were None, Mighty Joe Young, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Oliver Twist, How Green Was My Valley, Key Largo, Odd Man Out, The Big Sleep, Scott of the Antarctic, Brief Encounter, Brute Force, The Postman Always Rings Twice, The Naked City, Call Northside 777, The Devil and Daniel Webster, It's a Wonderful Life, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Murder My Sweet, Pinocchio, Johnny Belinda, The Ox-bow Incident, The Blue Dahlia

1950's - 12 Angry Men, Bad Day at Black Rock, Inherit the Wind, The Cruel Sea, Ben-Hur, A Streetcar Named Desire, Rear Window, Paths of Glory, A Town Like Alice, Winchester 73, Scrooge, Vertigo, 3:10 to Yuma, The Defiant Ones, Some Like It Hot, Le Salaire de la peur, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Hobson's Choice, Them, Dracula, The Curse of Frankenstein, Warlock, The Fly, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Moby Dick, Forbidden Planet, An Inspector Calls, The Colditz Story, The Old Man and the Sea, Ice Cold in Alex, Carve Her Name With Pride, The Dam Busters, The Tin Star, Hell Drivers, The Caine Mutiny, This Island Earth, The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Killing, Die Brucke, Touch of Evil, On the Waterfront, The 400 Blows, The Bridge on the River Kwai, All About Eve, Shane, Les Diaboliques, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, Sea of Sand, It Came from Outer Space, The Asphalt Jungle, Odette, The Man in the White Suit, The Sound Barrier, A Night to Remember, The One That Got Away, Run Silent Run Deep, Ace in the Hole, The Browning Version, Kiss Me Deadly, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, In a Lonely Place, Sunset Boulevard

1960's - To Kill a Mockingbird, Planet of the Apes, Where Eagles Dare, Les Yeux sans visage, Carnival of Souls, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Jungle Book, King Rat, Village of the Damned, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Zulu, Yojimbo, Au Hasard Balthazar, The Time Machine, 2001, The Birdman of Alcatraz, The Hill, If, The Heroes of Telemark, The Masque of the Red Death, The Naked Prey, First Men in the Moon, The Italian Job, The Great Silence, The Earth Dies Screaming, Midnight Cowboy, The Bridge at Remagen, The Innocents, The Hustler, The Fearless Vampire Killers, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Hud, Easy Rider, The Blue Max, A Man for All Seasons, Harakiri, The Last Man on Earth, Hell in the Pacific, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, This Sporting Life, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Odd Couple, Bullitt, Wait Until Dark, They Shoot Horses Don't They, Night of the Living Dead, Play Dirty, Cape Fear, Fail Safe, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Psycho, Repulsion, Billy Liar, Battle of Britain, Dr. Strangelove, No Way to Treat a Lady, Witchfinder General, The Charge of the Light Brigade, Damn the Defiant, Quatermass and the Pit, The Bedford Incident, Operation Crossbow, The Haunting, The Chalk Garden, Le Samourai, Cool Hand Luke, L'armee des ombres, Point Blank, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Kes, Jungfrukallan, Once Upon a Time in the West, In Cold Blood, The Servant, The Wild Bunch, Sink the Bismarck, Seance on a Wet Afternoon, A Bout De Souffle, The League of Gentleman, Tunes of Glory, Elmer Gantry, The Magnificent Seven, The Misfits, The Long The Short and The Tall, Murder She Said, Town Without Pity, How the West Was Won, Billy Budd, Cleopatra, Jason and the Argonauts, The Flight of the Phoenix, Weekend at Dunkirk, The Agony and the Ecstasy, The Ipcress File, The War Game, Django, Fahrenheit 451, The Producers, In the Heat of the Night, Night of the Generals, The Bofors Gun, The Boston Strangler, The Swimmer, The Damned, Robinson Crusoe, The Honeymoon Killers, In Cold Blood

1970's - Jaws, Dawn of the Dead, Apocalypse Now, The French Connection, The French Connection II, Taxi Driver, Annie Hall, Watership Down, The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, A Bridge Too Far, Fat City, Magic, The Cassandra Crossing, The man Who Would Be King, Thunderball and Lightfoot, Halloween, The Duellists, The Seven-Ups, And Soon the Darkness, Kelly's Heroes, The Wild Geese, Who Can Kill a Child, Tora Tora Tora, The Poseidon Adventure, Straight Time, Chato's Land, The Devils, Waterloo, The Molly Maguires, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Zardoz, The Eagle Has Landed, Walkabout, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Three Days of the Condor, Deliverance, Patton, Framed, Two Mules for Sister Sarah, Catch-22, The Shootist, Scum, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Quadrophenia, Coma, Straw Dogs, Cross of Iron, Alien, The Amityville Horror, The Passenger, Cabaret, Airport 75, Five Easy Pieces, Midnight Express, The Sting, The Omen, Damien Omen II, Escape From Alcatraz, Short Eyes, The Sentinel, American Graffiti, Saturday Night Fever, Death Wish, Die Blechtrommel, The Last Detail, Norma Rae, The Conversation, Kramer vs Kramer, The China Syndrome, Alice Sweet Alice, The Medusa Touch, The Parallax View, Enter the Dragon, Days of Heaven, Operation Daybreak, Martin, The Day of the Jackal, A Clockwork Orange, Zulu Dawn, Lenny, Capricorn One, The Offence, All the President's Men, Sleuth, Serpico, Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, Walking Tall, The Electric Horseman, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Phantasm, The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith, Marathon Man, Warlords of Atlantis, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Sorcerer, Rabid, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Der Amerikanische Freund, The Little Girl Who Lives Down thr Lane, Paper Moon, Assault on Precinct 13, Massacre in Rome, Across 110th Street, The Night Porter, Prime Cut, Manhattan, Silent Running, Chinatown, No Blade of Grass, Frenzy, Duel, Badlands, 10 Rillington Place, The Last Picture Show, Westworld, Get Carter, THX-1138, Papillion, The Andromeda Strain, The Blood on Satan's Claw, Wake in Fright, Big Jake, Klute, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Jeremiah Johnson, Steptoe and Son, Steptoe and Son Ride Again, The Exorcist, Mean Streets, Die Zsrtlichkeit der Wolfe, The Wicker Man, Soylent Green, Sleeper, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, Night Moves, Dog Day Afternoon, Barry Lyndon, Logan's Run, Rocky, Rocky II, Oh God, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, All Quiet on the Western Front, Nosferatu, The Gambler, Charlie Varrick

There should be enough in there to be getting on with OP. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Rocking Horse Winner and the Road to Perdition are another two I forgot to mention.

Operation Petticoat

Shadowlands

The Remains of the Day

84, Charing Cross Road

The Pink Panther (etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Ice Cold In Alex.

Colors.

Southern Comfort.

A Time for Drunken Horses.

And for a bit of French, Au Revoir les Enfants (try to spot all the scenes Tarantino lifted in Inglorious Basterds) and of course Mesrine 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't think the OP is looking for stuff like 'El Topo' or 'Stalker'. 🙂

• Advertisement

You know what I haven't watched for years...Gone with the wind.

Advertisement