Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage for property with converted barn

• 10-07-2023 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, looking to take a mortgage out on a detached house, it comes with a barn which has been converted into 2 apartments....Banks have no problem giving us the amount we need but just NOT for this house as it is not seen as a primary residential mortgage....we would not want to rent these units and they are getting in the way of us purchasing the property...this would be a dream home for our family and we are devastated...mortgage broker has tried all the well known lenders and all have refused...is there no way around this??

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is a commercial property and it going to be very difficult to convince people that you are not going to use it as such - today the banks and tomorrow probably the Revenue as well. I'd say move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Penelope78

Thanks, there doesn't seem to be any way around it, such a shame to lose out on a house because of this, the last thing I would want is strangers living in our garden, and given its location in the middle of nowhere I don't know who would want to rent there....a good family home lying vacant because of it all 😞

Advertisement