Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Department inspections: advanced notice given.

Options
  • 10-07-2023 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

I want to spur a discussion about how government department inspections most often take place with advanced notice( from my experience).

The first time I noticed this was in secondary school. Everyones diaries had to be up to date, classrooms cleaned and in perfect order, teachers were dressed to the 9s, everything had to be up to date for the event. The bad teachers upped their game and put in extra effort. After the Inspection standards clearly were not kept and declined quickly.

Another time I have witnessed advanced noticed was in resturaunts. Owners getting calls from inspectors a few days in advance of inspections.

In healthcare, general hospitals, psychiatric hospitals for adult and adolescents, nursing homes are all given advanced notice by inspectors and most things are fixed and tidied up, paperwork in order temporarily to give the best impression for the inspectors.

However this gives a false sense standards and quality. It makes managers look good and get a pat on the back by their bosses.

In what other sectors does this advanced notice of inspections happen?

Post edited by DrPsychia on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No notice given to places selling food to the public

should be the same for everyone all up the chain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Don't they do both? most places will get notice of visits etc but the department can also do visits without notice

I expected the inspection with notice is to check things, if they see something dodgy that place will just to the list of places for adhoc visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Schools have unannounced inspections, where a few teachers are inspected, but notice is given for whole school inspections which can last for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Schools have unannounced 'drive by' inspections

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

HIQA do unannounced inspections of healthcare and social care providers.

The latest 24 inspection reports they have published on their website are all unannounced. I didn't keep going to find the last announced one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The HSE have inspections from the HSA, HIQA and the Mental Health Commission amongst others.

Most visits are unannounced. It's actually very rare that the HSA announce their visits and it's the same with HIQA. The Mental Health Commission mostly announce their visits. EHO's don't announce that they are coming either.

When I worked in the private sector I used to carry out announced audits. You'd often find the places spotless but after asking the lads working there, they'd admit that they were in since 5am tidying up the place.

The HSA do mostly (90%+) unannounced inspections in the private sector.

Advertisement