Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for film and tv production college course

Options
  • 11-07-2023 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

My daughter is starting a course in September in film and tv production and wants to buy a laptop. College if closed for the Summer so I can't get recommended specs from them.

I am thinking she needs i7 with 16GB ram and at least a 256GB hard drive.

Would people think this broad spec is ok?

Would an i5 also work?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'd think that is a bit on the bare minimum side of the scale and I wouldn't go below an i7.

I can't comment on video card requirements, so will leave that to others who may have suggestions, but I'd think at least 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD hard drive, as some of the files can get very large.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

film and tv you wasnt a decent screen . either oled or high refresh rate it all deoends on personal preferences aswell see what she thinks

portability may be an issue and another important thing is price range

there are some sales on atm

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Hi,

I've worked in a similar role in broadcast so I'd recommend a fairly good graphics card. These usually do most

of the work instead of the cpu with heavy graphic content on the screen. I don't see why going for an I7 would

be absolutely necessary if you put the money into a better G card. Get an Nvidia GeForce RTX card. The more memory the better. I think typically these days they come with 1Tbyte.

So I5, 32G memory, 1TB solid state drive. Good NVidia GeForse G card. Should do the trick

Advertisement